Forums

Possible to disable side mirror auto dimming?

Possible to disable side mirror auto dimming?

Didn't even know, until tonight, my 3 has auto dimming on the side mirrors. Each mirror looked like it has a blue "film" on it and it was difficult to see in the dark of night. Not a fan of this feature or I'd at least like to be able to turn it off. Can't find anything in the user manual to disable it, so me thinks I might be out of luck.

EVRider | 04. lokakuu 2018

Me thinks you’re right. :-)

spuzzz123 | 04. lokakuu 2018

What are you having trouble seeing behind you? I don't think it dims unless there is a bright light shining in, in which case you should have no trouble still seeing the headlights. If there are no headlights and it is still light enough to see (like say at dusk) then it shouldnt be dimming at all...

nineteenelevenfan | 04. lokakuu 2018

@ spuzzz123 -

Driving home ~8:30pm last night and noticed they just seemed too dark for the car lights behind me. Was even more noticeable/annoying when parking in front of my house and backing up (still getting used to the camera/lines), and prefer at this point to still use my mirrors to determine curb distance and when they were lowered for being in reverse, one would think they would not still be in autodim as there were no lights shining on them. Not so. Still remained VERY dark (dark enough not to be able to see the curb clearly) and the "blue film" effect was visible.

A feature that definitely still needs fine tuning...but would be better (IMO) if it could be disabled. After all, it's only software ;-) Add a "disable autodim" button to the mirrors "page".

guydude | 04. lokakuu 2018

I agree. We really need a way to turn this off. I have an incredibly hard time seeing out of my mirrors in my parking garage.

spuzzz123 | 04. lokakuu 2018

Hmm sounds like they don't work the way I thought they should. They aren't dimming only when bright light shining -- they just dim at dusk/night, regardless of what is shining behind us.

Haven't tried this, but will tonight. I notice that the dashpad/screen goes into night mode, so I wonder if you force it back into day mode if the autodim on the mirrors will also go back into "day mode".

rdavis | 04. lokakuu 2018

They are electro-chromatic... there is no “turning” off possible.

lbowroom | 04. lokakuu 2018

Just curious if you've tinted your windows.

jin.hui | 04. lokakuu 2018

Having the same issue. I find then way too dark to make out vehicles on the side mirrors. Windows are not tinted.

@sromoda - windows not tinted, they are factory.

@rdavid - if they are electro-chromatic, then they aren't working correctly as when tilted down, there is no light shining on them to make them darker, they should lighten up when looking at a curb at night. I've also found that when driving at night, they are just TOO dark for my liking.

nineteenelevenfan | October 4, 2018

@rdavid - if they are electro-chromatic, then they aren't working correctly as when tilted down, there is no light shining on them to make them darker, they should lighten up when looking at a curb at night. I've also found that when driving at night, they are just TOO dark for my liking.

That would depend on where the "sensor" is located. My guess is the "sensors" are the cameras, which are not "tilting". What they need to do in the software is deactivate the EC glass when in reverse. Report it as a bug/feature request and maybe they will "Tweak" it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As a note, the way they typically work is two sensors. One rear facing, one front facing. The "dimming" is activated when the light behind the car is brighter than the light in front of the car.

Tesla should be able to deactivate it when the car is in reverse in software.

plbegin | 04. lokakuu 2018

And me I'd like to be able to manually activate them: I hate when it's not switched on at dusk or dawn and there's a nice pickup with bright headlights behind me... :(

yacraighead | 15. heinäkuu 2019

Has this been added as a feature? They were super dark before... I had to get my windows tinted (medical condition) and now i can't see at all, this is unsafe! It's been over a year, is there at least official word on if this can or can not be manually controlled? If i could find the sensor, i'd tape that shit up even if it disabled autopilot

philippem | 16. heinäkuu 2019

Most of the time, they work well. However, it could be nice to be able to give the option to override the setting (for example to dim them when the sun is exactly behind the mirror on the evening). On/Off/Auto with the option to save in user profile might be good. If you don't save, then if would apply until you change gear or stop/exit the car.

TickTock | 17. heinäkuu 2019

I stuck on some wide-angle mirrors (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HEC3O0Y) to help with the blind spot but they also solved the dimming problem.

FISHEV | 17. heinäkuu 2019

Sounds like the real issue is that mirror dimming is not well adjusted. It should not even be on when backing up. And totally right about using the mirrors vs. the odd back up lines which always seem to leave me off center in the SC stalls. I see lots Model 3'ers at the chargers going the same thing, having to readjust to center in the spot.

Dimming is supposed to be in response to bright lights. And the angle down to back up should be user selectable as many correctly use mirrors for backup. This is especially true with trailering which Model 3 owners in EU have and maybe, someday if we pay a few thousand more for "update", we can get in US.