Forums

"Real World" Range?

"Real World" Range?

I've put about 2,000 miles on my new Model X 100D in my first month of ownership and am experiencing a full-charge range closer to 200 miles than 300. I ran my last 100% charge to 3%, and only had 208 miles to show for it. Overall, My range seems to average between 230 and 240 miles per 100% charge. I'm wondering if this is typical or unusual. Almost all of my miles are Interstate with no city driving at all in my daily 100-mile round-trip commute. I tend to drive the speed limit and use cruise control all the time. Are others experiencing these kind of numbers? Are there driving behaviors that I should try to develop to improve my experience?

tagueja | 16. marraskuu 2018

I have a X100D as well. In summer (warmer weather) I took a 6k mile road trip, and averaged around 260 miles per charge, mostly highway. It went way up (slightly over 300mi/charge) when I was in the mountains, lots of regen braking. Now that it is winter, I am seeing averages of around 200-240miles per charge (240miles when temps are around 40, and 200 when temps are around 20F). this is normal, as the battery has to stay warm, and you are heating the cabin. Not sure where you live, but this could be part of the issue.

Also, with all interstate driving, you are not getting much benefit of regenerative braking, so you'll lose some more miles there. You'll actually get slightly less mileage on the highway, than if you mix it up with some city from time to time. Hope this helps!

I would try to turn on chill mode, and maybe even range mode to see what you get. Also, try use seat heaters more, and steering wheel heat, and turn down the heat in the cabin.

iandd | 16. marraskuu 2018

Thank you. Your suggestions and observations are most helpful. I do live in the Northeast, so I did anticipate less-than-optimal range in the cool fall (and early winter!) we seem to be having this year. I will try the chill and range modes and seek regen braking opportunities by modifying my commute route.

markcohen | 16. marraskuu 2018

@iandd, I also have an X100D and have had it for a year. While my range clearly varies with weather and driving habits, I would estimate that on average I am very close to the rated range. The following things will cause you to lose range:
- Cold weather
- The heater (the seat warmers are more efficient)
- Hard accelleration
- Using the brakes (instead of heavily relying on regen)
- Cruising at high speeds - range at 75 or more is much less than at 65

A suggestion... try using the power consumption app. I actually have the small one in the dash and the larger one on the display most of the time. I would suggest putting it on the 15 mile scale as 5 makes it change TOO much and 30 tends to average things a bit much to get a good feel for how you are doing. For a while, make a game out of seeing how low you can get your average consumption. 320 is what the rated range is built on. You ABSOLUTELY can do better than that. You just may not like the way that you have to drive to do it - and that is OK. I suggest doing this because it gives you the feel for what it takes to drive efficiently. That way you at least have it in your toolkit if you so desire.

markcohen | 16. marraskuu 2018

One typo.... the rated range is based on 330wh/m not 320. Sorry.

burdogg | 16. marraskuu 2018

I was going to ask - what is your ave wh/mi. So since last charge, and when you are only getting the 200 miles, what is your wh/mi.

Colder climate will have a huge effect, especially if you choose to have the heater on in the car.

winx17 | 16. marraskuu 2018

22" wheels will also lose about 10-15% range.

Passion2Fly | 16. marraskuu 2018

@winx17
I just tried a new set of 20” wheels and I do get ~8% lower energy consumption for my daily route... however, the handling is significantly better with the 22” wheels. The car feels much more “glued” to the road and more responsive. Also, the acceleration is noticeably better with 22”...

@passion2fly
Sweet! We have a 100d coming with the 22s. I'll take the better handling and acceleration over the ~8% loss. Only do about 8 long trips a year or so.

@passion2fly
Sweet! We have a 100d coming with the 22s. I'll take the better handling and acceleration over the ~8% loss. Only do about 8 long trips a year or so.

buickguy | 20. marraskuu 2018

Another way to look at range is watts per mile. I'm running about 355 in pretty mild weather with lots of stop and go. If I can get into a highway cruise situation, I run around 330. Winter will be worse; I'm expecting 10% worse, but I live in a pretty mild climate so your results can and will vary.