Forums

Can you program Homelink on Model X without a remote?

Can you program Homelink on Model X without a remote?

Is there a way to program the Homelink without a garage opener remote? We have a Genie Pro (Model 1024) opener. I tried using my key pad but it didn't work.

Thank you in advance.

lilbean | 05. tammikuu 2019

I don't think so because you have to point the remote at the car during set up, I believe.

ratchet | 05. tammikuu 2019

Your keypad sends a signal similar to a remote. The programming instructions for HomeLink indicate that you have to hold the remote very close to the front bumper and press the button for a while in order for the Tesla to record the appropriate part of the signal. You should be able to use your keypad but you will have to remove it from where it is mounted and hold it close to the front bumper.

TeslaTap.com | 06. tammikuu 2019

You do need a remote, but Genie requires some special steps to make it work with Homelink. See: https://teslatap.com/articles/homelink-analysis-and-troubleshooting/ and in Troubleshooting, look at #2.

ijtesla | 09. tammikuu 2019

@ratchet your tip worked although I had literally touch the keypad to the front trunk (possibly because the battery wasn't strong enough). It did take me at least 5 tries to finally get the Homelink to start working, each time I went through the entire flow but deleted the connection because it wouldn't work. Looks like persistence paid off. Thank you for the tip.

lilbean | 09. tammikuu 2019

Nice!

ratchet | 09. tammikuu 2019

Glad it worked for you.

ajdelange | 10. tammikuu 2019

I was in a similar situation (could not find a visor unit) and thought of taking the keypad off the wall if I had to but then had another idea. All the Tesla wants to see is the signal that operates the opener but, apparently, in training mode wants to see it loud. Hence he necessity of getting close. So it occurred to me that you might be able to train the Tesla by bringing it nose to nose with another vehicle that has been programmed for that same opener and launching the signal from that second vehicle. Whether this would work or not would probably depend on where on the other vehicle the Homelink antenna is located. Whilst pondering this my son found a visor transmitter so I didn't get to check this scheme out.

Vawlkus | 10. tammikuu 2019

Interesting theory. Hope someone gets a chance to test it out.

daniel.baudino | 01. heinäkuu 2019

Poorly designed. I had many cars that did not need a remote to program the homelink.