Forums

Rear view camera - showing black screen

Rear view camera - showing black screen

Starting yesterday, when I got in my car to drive home, I noticed the screen took a while to turn on. When I put the car in reverse, the view of the rear view was just a black screen, not a view out of the camera. It stayed like that the entire way home. I unloaded the car, locked it and came back to it a few minutes later, clicked on the camera and I could see the view just fine.

I went out this morning and tried it again and it was the black screen again. Any ideas? What should I do?

Infiniti Pi | 20. tammikuu 2019

do a system reboot. hold both thumb wheels on the steering wheel down until the screen changes to notify you

kenyandave | 20. tammikuu 2019

Can this be done while driving? I was on the highway and the screen froze when selecting some music.

Infiniti Pi | 20. tammikuu 2019

no, unfortunately you need to be stopped

007bond | 20. tammikuu 2019

Oddly last night our car started to do the exact same black screen rear cam. What is most interesting is it is obvious these are bugs as many owners exp the same event many times on the same day even time.

EVRider | 20. tammikuu 2019

You can reboot while driving, though it’s a bit disconcerting since you lose your display. In Model S/X, rebooting the touchscreen doesn’t impact the separate instrument panel display so it’s less of an issue.

azdonna | 20. tammikuu 2019

It's happened to me a couple of times. Obviously a bug. I filed a bug report when it happened.

don | 20. tammikuu 2019

Yes, I've done the reboot...

cbenoit | 21. tammikuu 2019

Had the exact same thing happen to me. Did a bug report right away. Soft reboot did not fix the problem. I see there's other threads with the same problem going back throughout 2018. Hopefully next time I get in it works.

dugande | 21. tammikuu 2019

I did the reboot, holding down both thumb wheels until the Tesla symbol appeared and then the map appeared. The backup camera screen was still back. Did the same steps a second time and same results. I will see what happens in the morning.

bengarlick | 23. tammikuu 2019

I am now seeing this issue. Had just updated to 2018.50.6, but that could be coincidence. Rebooting does not help.

rk242 | 23. tammikuu 2019

I've had this happen to me twice now, most recently last weekend. Both times it started working again after leaving the car for a few hours. Make sure to file a bug report when it happens.

martinbaker2727 | 24. tammikuu 2019

What is most interesting is it is obvious these are bugs as many owners exp the same event many times on the same day even time.https://freemoviesite.me/snappy-streamz-apk/
https://techranc.com/bobmovies-best-alternatives/

sherloc987 | 24. tammikuu 2019

I am now seeing this issue. Had just updated to 2018.50.6, but that could be coincidence. Rebooting does not help.
http://iapkdownload.com/live-lounge-apk/
https://www.techtrickhub.com/fortcraft-apk-download/

HighlandPony | 24. tammikuu 2019

This happened to me once, soft and hard reboots did not resolve the issue. But powering down the car and waiting several minutes before pressing the brake pedal did clear it up.

johnw | 25. tammikuu 2019

This happened to me a few times. If I remember right, I was able to manually turn on the backup camera using the app window. This happened several times for a couple of days and then disappeared. A little unnerving how these tesla ghosts show up.

gregmberry | 20. helmikuu 2019

I am getting a black reverse camera screen as well all of sudden. I tried a reset, didn’t help. Any other suggestions? I’ve only had my Model 3 Performance for less than 2 weeks.

Teslanene | 20. helmikuu 2019

Also started getting the black screen last couple of days. It started for me after doing the sentry update this past weekend.

bwong24 | 20. helmikuu 2019

Me too. But I can't blame it on the Sentry Mode. I didn't get it yet.

mailvdutt | 20. helmikuu 2019

I got my tesla model3 on 15-feb-2019, today i started getting black screen for my rear camera.Tried reboot, but still the same

robljanssen | 20. helmikuu 2019

Me too, white lines were still there but black screen.
Put in P and back in R and that solved it.

johnw | 20. helmikuu 2019

Did you guys try manually turning on the reverse camera from the screen? That worked for me when this happened. I had it happen several times in 1 week and then the problem mysteriously fixed itself. Tesla installs gremlins for no extra charge I guess.

brents | 23. helmikuu 2019

My rear camera just stopped working this aft - first time I have seen this issue. Rebooting, shifting from d to r multiple times, heating garage to a pleasant 55 degrees (chitown area) did not help. It has been raining today; so, maybe something here as another post indicated - not sure. Updated to V10.6 a few weeks ago; so, not sure if sftwe bug with this version is the cause. I was fortunate to get this car last July 2018 and have had only a few minor issues - this car is just awesome on so many levels! So, I am not that concerned about this minor issue, but, still want it fixed...

brents | 23. helmikuu 2019

My rear camera is now working properly. My sftwe version is 50.6, not 10.6. This is what I did (not sure what fixed the issue):
1. filed bug with tesla spt on car with speaker command: "report bug rear camera is not working"
2. reported issue with spt on tesla site
3. rebooted car cmptr multiple times,but that did not fix issue right away...

alvinw818 | 25. helmikuu 2019

my newly delivered P was having this issue. The reverse view was consistently black for about a couple of hours. It eventually worked again. I hope the new update fixes this.

vergho | 22. maaliskuu 2019

Same here...went out yesterday and rebooted soft and hard. Neither fixed it but then later in day, magically it worked again.

vergho | 22. maaliskuu 2019

Same here...went out yesterday and rebooted soft and hard. Neither fixed it but then later in day, magically it worked again.

Mtonatiuh | 11. huhtikuu 2019

Lots of reports here: https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/tesla-model-3-backup-camera-black-...

I never had this issue (delivered end Sept 2018).
But it is happening to me every single day since I got 2019.8.5 like a week ago. In my case:

- Go into Reverse
- Screen pops up black
- If I wait, usually after 20 LONG secs it displays video feed, sometimes longer, and I just go without it.
- Once the video feed is there, if I go to Drive and the back to Reverse the video seems to immediately show up as expected.

Definitely seems like a software regression.

MUSICbox | 11. huhtikuu 2019

Same thing happens to me on my 3. Reboot fixes the issue.

ling.huang98 | 14. toukokuu 2019

Recently I had similar issue with my Tesla rear camera. I reported for a service but 2hrs later it's back to normal when I started the car. So I cancelled the service. Two days later, I had a same issue again. Certainly it's a bug in the software. I never had this issue for more than 4 years until after recent software update.

loganboyd | 20. toukokuu 2019

TIL that it may be related to whether you have a USB drive for the dash cam feature plugged in. If you do and you have a black screen often, try unplugging the USB and testing it out.

nsher | 20. toukokuu 2019

2018 MS 75D
The rear camera screen for my back-up camera shows as completely white intermittently after I start the car.. The two white guide lines sometimes appear, but not the remainder of the screen. . I have to re-boot the screen for the back-up camera to work. This never occurs while driving and is happening sporadically but more recently, a couple of times a day. The soft reboot fixes it until the next time. I have a service appointment coming up and I hope that they can fix it and not waste my time. Some people suggested a factory reset.

RayCanuck | 09. kesäkuu 2019

Picked up my SR+ yesterday drove the 400km home. Backup camera stopped working, thought maybe it was shut down due to low power. Charged it back up and nope that wasn’t it. Done a few soft boots nope that didn’t fix it either. Geesh 433km on the thing .... backup camera was supposed to be one of the highlights of this car.....

personalprogrammer | 10. kesäkuu 2019

Got my Model 3 10 days ago and rear camera has worked briefly for on 3 occasions. Hasn't worked at all otherwise. Tesla tech pushed a software update (16.3) with no solution. Still waiting......

capo27 | 13. kesäkuu 2019

Got my Model 3 on Saturday and the backup camera black screen started on Tuesday night drive home after work. It worked fine Wednesday morning, but then was black again going home that night. I was wondering if the heat has anything to do with it?? I'm in Tucson, AZ and it was 108 out those two days. I had the interior cooling on Monday (to keep the interior at 105), and I didn't have the issue on Monday. I turned it off for Tuesday and Wednesday since it was sucking a lot of power just sitting there. Also when driving home those nights, the display of the gray cars around my car on the left of the screen disappeared too. Again wondering if those sensors overheat with my car sitting out int he AZ sun all day, and no longer function properly?

rgillies47 | 13. kesäkuu 2019

I e had my car 10 days and backup camera is black with white lines. A soft reboot did not fix it. I will try shutting down car for a while. 26celsius, 80F here today dry and sunny so not a rain issue

anoopgopalpt | 22. kesäkuu 2019

Anyone got this fixed? Second day and my backup cam shows black. Navigation stuck at old place. Doesn't show all the time which door is actually open, instead just warning chimes.

ytr3wq | 22. kesäkuu 2019

I hope 2019.20.2.1 has fixed the backup camera black problem for me. Haven't had the issue since, but it only has been a few days

If didn't fix:
- other cars/lanes on status display almost never there
- auto headlights usually on in bright daylight

Randyb359 | 24. kesäkuu 2019

Just got 20.4.1 and my back up camera stopped working. Tide rebooting the screen but that didn't help.

TeslaTap.com | 24. kesäkuu 2019

@ytr3wq - If you're using Sentry mode all the time, that may be the cause. See: https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/no-lane-lines-or-other-cars-status...

garibaldi | 01. heinäkuu 2019

Happened to me this weekend. It was the first time I had sentry mode on all the time. It was also a warm day. Incidentally, these are the two theories I found online (one is a software problem, the other one a hardware problem).

It can be either. After we parked it for about an hour, I left the AC on and the camera was working again.

interlusitian | 03. heinäkuu 2019

We need help!!! Rear camera blacked out since 7/2/2019. Soft/hard reboot DOES NOT resolve the issue.

rdr1rx | 03. heinäkuu 2019

Enter your car with phone key. Reboot screen. After reboot, take your phone and turn on airplane mode. Count to 10, then turn off airplane mode. Put car in reverse. Fixed?

dbrum98 | 03. heinäkuu 2019

I had this happen this afternoon. Based on feedback here, assumed this has something to do with sentry mode. My car is home, so sentry mode was off. I used the app to turn sentry mode ON and the OFF. Went out to the car and bachup camera is working again. Weird

Evan.1 | 04. heinäkuu 2019

I'm having the same issue. Screen shows black when in reverse. Really frustrating.

petegajria | 04. heinäkuu 2019

This started 30 minutes ago when I left home
1. Rear camera is black
2. Front sensors do not work
3. Autopilot and lane lines have vanished
4. Cruise control etc is not available

I did a hard reboot twice and waited 3-4 minutes

Any suggestions?

kaushal | 04. heinäkuu 2019

Happens to me once or twice every day, makes me wonder if my Tesla is using Windows 10 OS, so inconsistent.

david_gelfand | 04. heinäkuu 2019

Clearly, this has been a serious issue for an extended period of time. I saw it for the first time in late 2018. Eight to ten OTA updates later, it still occurs, but not all the time. Most of the time if I get black screen when I put our 3 in reverse, I simply turn on the rear view camera manually (from main screen). I just have to remember to turn it off when I go forward. Rebooting the display rarely works for me to fix black camera screen.

howard | 05. heinäkuu 2019

It happens periodically and the aggravation is just sitting there waiting for it to come on, usually less than 10 seconds, or just use the mirrors like the old days were upon us again.

calvin940 | 05. heinäkuu 2019

Haven't really seen this since 20.2.1. I am currently on 20.4.2 and it hasn't happened on that release either.

howard | 05. heinäkuu 2019

20.4.2 and it is still there.

Pages