Forums

Tesla Model S tire chains.

Tesla Model S tire chains.

I ordered the recommended Tesla Model S tire chains for a ski trip this weekend. I was practicing putting on the tire chain. The installation includes the placement of a socket over the wheel nut. Mine doesn’t fit. It seems too small. In the installation videos they talk about 3 different sizes 17 mm, 19 mm and 21 mm. Mine only came with one size. Anyone have a similar experience with the Model S chains for 19 inch tires.

PrescottRichard | 23. tammikuu 2019

Haven’t used them, but a thought- there are covers on the nuts, maybe you have to remove them first?

I think I understand what you’re doing, this would be an easy fix. There is a specific tool to remove the covers but you can pry them off carefully with something tough but plastic (so you don’t scratch ‘em).

Qwiksilver | 23. tammikuu 2019

Had the exact same problem. Tap to socket on the lug nut with a rubber mallet. It will slip on, very snug. Keep the mallet in the case with the chains.

SCCRENDO | 23. tammikuu 2019

It seems like I got the 19 mm socket. I contacted the Trak Sport company per their website. They are from Italy. They sent me a message back that they can send me the 21 mm sockets in broken English and wanted my address. My wife went past Costco where we got our latest set of tires and they felt it didn't fit. I have had my tire bolts changed because they were wearing out. I have 150000 miles on my Tesla. But the new bolts do not seem to be the problem as we tried the socket on my neighbor's model S and it didn't fit his tires either. In the interim my wife will drive past the nearest service center and see what they suggest. We may end up taking my Model 3 this weekend and it is not predicted to snow. But I guess I need to solve this as we are going skiing again 2 weeks later

plugzin | 23. tammikuu 2019

Ordered and received (finally) a set of those chains for our Model X. I also attempted a trial fit in the driveway, but soon found I seemed to be missing the correct length of bolt. Local service center didn't seem familiar with them, and suggested having a ranger come out to attempt the test fit, and confirm what is missing from the package. Also noted that the Tesla branded " manual" recommends a specific combination of tire and wheel, and no others. Of course, ours does not have that combination. We'll see when the ranger comes over on 2/1. Info from the manual and the web site don't agree.

lilbean | 23. tammikuu 2019

These chains look so complicated. All the Teslas I’ve seen with chains, did not have these.

SCCRENDO | 23. tammikuu 2019

My wife went to the local service center and it appears that they sent me a 19 mm socket and the Model S 19 inch wheel needs a 21 mm socket. The videos show that they should send a packet with two 17 mm, 19 mm and 21 mm sockets. My plastic packet only contained an Allen Key. There is no contacts phone number for the Tesla store which is indepenedant of Tesla. We have fired off 3 emails. They responded to my first email which was bland just inquiring. They suggested I go to a service center. I responded been there, done it. So I am waiting on them. I contacted Tesla roadside after a short 10 minute wait and got a very helpful guy. He does not have a phone number for the Tesla store but his supervisor requested the store send me new snow chains with the full package and a way to return these when they arrive. The alternative would be to send me 21 mm sockets. Don’t hold your breath on the ranger.

Other info. The snow chains come from Evannex. They have no phone number. So I emailed them if they could send me two 21 mm sockets. So we will see. Their website said they are out of stock on snow chains. I also message the manufacturer Sport Trak in Italy. They will gladly send me 21 mm sockets if they pay them 100 Euro ($113) per paypal first. So I await a response from someone and will likely take the Model 3 up this weekend as it has the EAP that my Model S does not have, a 310 mile battery vs the now 235 mile battery on my classic 2013 Model S. Temps in the 40s or 50 s are predicted with no rain or snow. I will have to pay for supercharging on my Model 3 vs free suoercharging on my Model S. I do have a repeat trip in 2 weeks. So if no 21 mm socket by then I may have to get one smaller nut lug per rear wheel which I believe is doable but need to check. Or order snow chains for my Model 3.

Qwiksilver | 24. tammikuu 2019

Please let us know how Tesla responds.

SCCRENDO | 24. tammikuu 2019

@Qwiksilver. Did you check the size of the socket they sent you

RedShift | 24. tammikuu 2019

@ sccrendo

You’ve already bought and paid for the chains, but in case you want to consider an alternative, snow socks are very easy to put on and take out. They are certified as a snow traction device and are legal.

@Redshift. Send me info. Yes ideally I should get what I paid for. I am optimistic that they will come through in the end. But the customer service from the Tesla store is horrible.

Here:

https://www.amazon.com/ISSE-Traction-Adjustable-Chains-Alternative/dp/B0...

I’ve never had to use them in the year I’ve had them. They work OK but on dry pavement they wear out faster. On snow, they handled as good or better than chains in a consumer reports test. You can search for that test on google.

@redshift. Is this a one size fits all and are they easy to put on

No there is a sizing guide. One size fits nearby dimensions. Mine fit both the 19” and 18” wheels for both of my Teslas.

Qwiksilver | 24. tammikuu 2019

@sccrendo
I don’t know how to tell the size. There are no markings nor numbers on the socket. But you are probably right the socket is too small, that’s why it wouldn’t slip over and I had to use a mallet.
I will contact Tesla as well.

I wasn't go to try a mallet and damage the nut lugs. I suspect you could measure the diameter and see if it is 19mm or 21 mm

I just got an email from the guy who I emailed at the online orders. He has asked the fulfillment partners to reship my order and should ship in 2-3 business days

kcheng | 25. tammikuu 2019

Definitely measure the socket to make sure it's 21mm. I doubt the metal is soft enough to squeeze a 19mm socket onto a 21mm lug! How would you remove it, it'd be ridiculously tight.

plugzin | 25. tammikuu 2019

Yep, mine were missing parts too. Appointment with a Ranger a week from today to attempt a trial fit and show that, indeed, parts were missing from the package that came from Italy (or wherever). And, yes, absolutely NO WAY to phone the Tesla store. They email you back, on THEIR schedule.

RedShift | 26. tammikuu 2019

Flagged the spammer.

Qwiksilver | 26. tammikuu 2019

Just went to my SC and explained the problem. Even showed them the treads on the forum. He tried and couldn’t get the security cap to fit over the nut. He said he will order a set of chains, have them delivered to the SC. When they arrive he will call me, then try to fit them on my 2013 85S. I will keep you posted.

SCCRENDO | 26. tammikuu 2019

I am waiting on to get the email that my new chains have shipped. I have the nasty feeling that they will probably ship another set with only 19 mm sockets. Let’s hope I’m wrong.

Qwiksilver | 26. tammikuu 2019

@sccrendo
Let us know what happens.
I suspect, and fear, you will be right.

Meanwhile I am at Mammoth in my Model 3. No snow this weekend. But I return in 2 weeks. I am tempted to order Model 3 chains.

lilbean | 26. tammikuu 2019

The Model 3 chains are perfect. So easy to put on.

Perhaps I need to order them as a backup

How’s the snow at mammoth?

Excellent base but no fresh snow. Great conditions before lunch, There were long waits at some lifts after lunch and it was icy in the afternoon. I started early (8:30) and skied all day. I’m exhausted.

Yeah, you might be hurting in places you didn’t know existed!

Happens to me all the time as I push the boundaries and go tumbling a few times on the steep slopes. :-)

I have just been checking the air quality in Mammoth. It is 157. This is unhealthful. Not clear why??

Qwiksilver | 28. tammikuu 2019

At this point in time, if you are considering purchasing snow chains from Tesla, I recommend you hold off until Tesla resolves this problem.

SCCRENDO | 01. helmikuu 2019

Update:
They were meant to ship my Model S snow chains last week but I heard nothing. I called Tesla yesterday and it appeared the commerce rep dropped the ball. Today he finally responded that my Model S snowchains were shipped today. I have the FedEx tracking number stating arrival Monday night. Hopefully this kit contains all the components. As I am going skiing again next Friday I ordered Model 3 chains that arrived today. This is my backup plan. But I also need to check that they fit

Qwiksilver | 02. helmikuu 2019

@SCCRENDO
Could you share with me the rep that you emailed?
I may need to go the same route as you.

SCCRENDO | 02. helmikuu 2019

I emailed onlineorders@tesla.com. My email goes back there. The person who is communicating with me is Danny and they are based in Draper, Utah. He responded to me a couple time within 24 hours and then said the chains were on their way. When they didn’t come I emailed him again. I also contacted online support by phone. They offered to help me twice and sent me a confirmatory email. My second contact with general Tesla support was after my more recent email to Danny. I never heard follow up from my service calls but it is possible that my calls nudged Danny because this time he had not responded within 24 hours but after my phone call on Thursday night to support, Danny emailed me Friday at 9 am to tell me my chains were on the way. The chains have been shipped out of San Jose and are presently in LA for delivery Monday night. The rest of my online orders have come from New Jersey including my Model 3 chains and the 1st set of Model S chains so I am optimistic that they have ensured I will get the correct chains this time.

rxlawdude | 02. helmikuu 2019

@SCC, you must be having fun there. I heard several FEET of snow have fallen or will fall.

Stay safe!

lilbean | 02. helmikuu 2019

Ten feet for the storm total by Tuesday. Chains are required seventeen miles past Bishop.

@lil, yep. @SCC's got two RWD Teslas (MS and M3). In my Sedona trip with a whole 4-6" of fresh snow and then ice, general handling of the RWD 3 was as I expected. But I did not expect the total inability to climb a moderately sloped driveway. Our S70D would have sliced through that like butter.

Ah, I see @SCC actually came home and is going back on Friday. Should be clear sailing on the roads, and supposedly the best ski conditions in a long time for all the California resorts.

@lawdude, Good to know. Thanks! We haven't taken the 3 up.

No chains were needed last weekend. It would have been great to be skiing in the powder this weekend. But hopefully have good snow next weekend

I was fortunate enough to board on the awesome powder last month. The mountain was empty. People got scared off by the winds in 14 degrees. It was heavenly. It will not be fun to go back to the packed stuff. I got spoiled.

@lilbean. As we get older we get spoiled. Ideally I want it to drop tons of snow the night before and wake up to powder and sunshine. That’s why I need chains for at least one of my cars.

You should be there now. The 395 was one lane today. It wasn't plowed.

SCCRENDO | 04. helmikuu 2019

UPDATE

My new chains arrived. And they are the same as the first pair. So now I have 2 useless sets of Model S snow chains. I contacted Tesla again and they will escalate to the e-commerce guy again. I have an idea that I will try tomorrow. Otherwise we are going up in Model 3

lilbean | 04. helmikuu 2019

Not surprised.

SCCRENDO | 04. helmikuu 2019

@plugzin. I thought you had a ranger coming. What did he say?

SCCRENDO | 05. helmikuu 2019

PROBLEM SOLVED by my wife and she will not let me live this one down.

It turns out that they did send me 21 mm sockets. But the reason that they did not fit is that I have my tires replaced and rotated at a local tire store. The standard wheel nut is thin and has a plastic cap on it. So when they work on the tires they have to take the plastic cap off. And for the chains to fit you have to remove the plastic caps. It does require a tool that you can order online.My Model S has 151,000 miles so has been through many tire changes and rotations. At some point my tire place noticed that the plastic caps were worn and replace all my tire bolts that are complete bolts without plastic caps. When she went to Costa Mesa SC a week ago they had no clue. She went back to our tire place but they did not have the correct size bolt. She ultimately went to Torrance SC where they replaced a bolt on each rear wheel with the correct bolt and have left the plastic caps off for our ski trip. They checked to see that our socket fitted and it did. When we come back we will replace all the bolts and order the tool to remove the plastic caps.

SCCRENDO | 06. helmikuu 2019

Did a trial run. The chains are amazing. Install in seconds

Qwiksilver | 16. maaliskuu 2019

Tesla finally conceded that the snow chains that I purchased from their website does not fit my 2013 85.
The socket that secures the chains will not fit over my lug nuts. They did come up with a work around, and offered to swap out all the lug nuts (mine are chrome) for the newer smaller ones with plastic caps.
I give my SC guys credit for coming up with a solution, especially when Tesla support really wasn’t all that useful in solving the problem.

SCCRENDO | 16. maaliskuu 2019

Indeed that is the solution. But they only had 4 lugnuts in stock. So they only did one each on the back wheels. And with the caps on look the same as the rest.

Qwiksilver | 20. maaliskuu 2019

I will ask them to do the same.