Forums

Can I add a kill switch to disable the frunk (front trunk) emergency release jumper mechanism?

Can I add a kill switch to disable the frunk (front trunk) emergency release jumper mechanism?

As we all know the frunk (front trunk) can be opened by connecting an external 12V battery to the cables that be popped out from the round button near the fog light area:

I am thinking about adding a kill switch to the hot (red)cable to disable this--has anyone else thought about doing this?

philip.chen | 19. helmikuu 2019

Interested in how frunk emergency release can be disabled

majassow | 19. helmikuu 2019

Isn't that where the fireman high voltage cutoff is? Doesn't sound like disabling that would be safe..

lilbean | 19. helmikuu 2019

Yes. First responders need to access the frunk to cut the high voltage cable. This needs to be done before the jaws of life can be used to prevent death by electrocution.

ODWms | 20. helmikuu 2019

First responders would have that frunk open in two seconds, whether the latching is enabled or not.

gmr6415 | 20. helmikuu 2019

Sentry mode is so new, so I don't know for sure, but after watching a few videos of the cars that have it, I think it would activate if someone started messing with the front of your car in order to open the port and access the jumper cables.

roger.klurfeld | 20. helmikuu 2019

I thought the battery connection on the front bumper is live only if there is no 12 volt juice in the car.

h2ev | 20. helmikuu 2019

@philip.chen, you wouldn't happen to be from Vahalla would you?

I was thinking about this as well. Seems too easy for anyone to open it, unless the terminal is disabled as long as 12v is still flowing.