Forums

Hitch mounted cargo carrier

Hitch mounted cargo carrier

I am looking for a hitch mounted cargo carrier. But I keep receiving conflicting information in the forms of forum posts and pictures disproving those forum posts. Lol.

How much weight can I realistically have in a cargo carrier mounted to the 2 inch receiver hitch and nothing else? It would be for long distance trips of 200+ miles. If anyone can shed light or heck, provide the documentation for the testing/failure itself, I would be super happy.

mathwhiz | 04. maaliskuu 2019

Page 82 of the current Owner's Manual couldn't make it more clear.

Passion2Fly | 05. maaliskuu 2019

120lbs max including the accessory weight.

gtimbers | 06. maaliskuu 2019

How is it that one can only load 120 pounds on the hitch but can tow up to 5000 pounds. The OM specifically states that the tongue weight needs to be 10% of the trailer weight which means up to 500 pounds. If stopped at a signal, the hitch couldn’t tell the difference in downward load between the two conditions. Doesn’t add up to me!

Uncle Paul | 06. maaliskuu 2019

Hitching a trailer and cantalevering a hitch mounted basket are two different things.

I have used an aluminum hitch mounted carrier many times on my X. I do not load it heavily, but use it for bulky lightweight stuff.

No official testing to destruction has been posted. Evidently Tesla backs it to 120 lbs, the rest is on you.

Lots of people have been carrying more than than on bike hitches, and no failures noted so far.

Problem with the carriers is that the weight can be pretty far out on a lever. If you go over bumps, even speed bumps, the forces can get pretty significant in a hurry.

On the other hand, rolling smoothly down a highway should be pretty stress free.

For me, I always try to keep the weight back there as light as possible, and even pack so the heaviest items are towards the front of the basket and the lightest stuff towards the rear.

Had the same issue with the trunk on my Harley. Manufacturer only rated it for about 20 lbs. but some would put much more in there. The more you put, the greater the risk.

Taragranger | 06. maaliskuu 2019

Yes, I see that. But there are people who are routinely loading up 250+lbs on their hitch. I was hoping for some more in depth information beyond just what the manual said. For instance, what tolerances were found in testing, what procedure used, stress charts, etc.

Thank you for your attempt.

Passion2Fly | 07. maaliskuu 2019

It’s all about center of gravity and moments. Vertical force on the hitch produces a downward moment with a long arm. So, technically, you’re going to lift the front of the car and lose some front wheels traction and control...
I bet there is a lot of margin and 120 lbs is very conservative. You could probably load it up to 250 lbs just fine...

Taragranger | 07. maaliskuu 2019

Yeah, I just wish I could see the testing paperwork or figure out how they arrived at their limit. Like maybe it did exceedingly well in various cases, but in one particular with a certain length moment arm cracked it and brought the overall score down or something.

marc | 30. heinäkuu 2019

Any particular brands people reccomend? Has any used the XRack that is designed to fit / replace the carpeted cover in real trunk?

Thank you!

GranpaJohn | 30. heinäkuu 2019

Since it is only an occasional use for me, I opted for the Rural King $35.00 carrier and did not even notice it was there.
I'm not willing to put a large amount of weight on it but I will tell you that my MX100D is used to haul hay bales, 55 gallon barrels, lumber, logs, tools galore, bicycles and meat chickens for the brooder. Also pulls my 1200 pound 4x8 steel trailer with small tractor at a 35% to 45% efficiency cost.