Forums

E-ZPass New York

E-ZPass New York

Was trying to get a "green" E-Zpass INTERIOR dongle for my M3. Got a note back from NYS yesterday "All Tesla's for the years 2014 to the present require exterior tags NO INTERIOR TAG (emphasis added) due to the windshield of the vehicle and agencies requirements".

That seems like it might be a slightly bureaucratic response since the Model 3 in not even listed on the NYS E-Zpass site as a valid Tesla model(?)

I stole my wife's dongle from her Pious and it is working fine....anyone had a similar experience in the Empire State.....does the license plate sensor work ok when covered in ice/slush?

watermanhfl | 05. maaliskuu 2019

I live in Rochester area and decided to stick with the std small interior tag. Works fine on the Model 3 mounted next to the rear mirror. Green savings is minor and tag looks ugly.

Goofy Runner | 05. maaliskuu 2019

I too requested a green tag from NY EZ-Pass, and they sent me an exterior tag. I sent the exterior tag back to them with a copy of the page from the model 3 user manual showing where to mount the EZ-Pass tag. They sent the exterior tag back to me with a letter saying they a required to send exterior tags for this car. I have been using the interior tag from the car the Model 3 replaced. Not sure how they expect you to attach an exterior tag on the license plate holder without the proper screws.

Just use a regular tag and you will be fine.

glassyvibesound | 17. joulukuu 2019

I am quite shocked by New-York. I mean there are some very developed spheres and the best cars in the world. Nevertheless, the opportunity to pay for toll online with https://ezpassny.net appeared not so long ago. So, this creates a gap between some fields in NYC

Pg3ibew | 18. joulukuu 2019

I have a few things to add here.
1. I live in NYC. I am not sure where you live. But, there are no real savings by going with the GREEN tag. I looked into it. I get discounts for different things. Which outweigh the green tag.
2. I have my EZPass tag in my windshield. I have no issues.

ALDONY | 18. joulukuu 2019

I cross 2 tolls every day, Tappan Zee and triborough, Regular EZ pass next to rear view mirror.. Never had a problem

andy.connor.e | 18. joulukuu 2019

Have had ez pass entire life and never had a problem.

bjrosen | 18. joulukuu 2019

If they won't send you the correct EZ Pass then get one from NJ or Conn. I live in MA but my EZ Pass is from NH. NH had a deal on EZ Passes when they first came out which is how I came to get a NH one instead of a MA one. Mine is mounted in the usual place next to the rear view mirror, it always works.

BTW is there any explanation for why they think it won't work in a Model S? A window is a window.

I wonder if they will be able to scan through the Tesla armor glass since its transparent metal.

EVRider | 18. joulukuu 2019

@bjrosen: The Model S windshield has a metallic coating that interferes with transponders, except for the dark patch to the right of the rear view mirrors. The Model 3 doesn’t have that coating.

My community uses windshield mounted RFID tags to open the entry gate. The tag works fine in our Model 3 mounted on the inside of the windshield, but for our Model S I had to use an external tag mounted next to the headlight.

As far as i can tell, the EZ pass booths are scanning the bar code on my pass.

Tronguy | 18. joulukuu 2019

Got the green NJ EZPASS mounted to the right of the cameras on the inside of the windshield since September of last year.
No problems going through the toll booths up and down the East Coast from Virginia (where it peters out) to Boston.
In NJ, there is a bit of a discount after hours and going back and forth across the NYC bridges, not a ton. On the other hand, one gets charged $5 or so a month for the privilege.

$5/mo to save money? Thats how you know its a really good deal

Smhach | 18. joulukuu 2019

I'm guessing because it's a "Green" EZ Pass and not a regular EZ Pass they want it bolted on to your licence plate discouraging people from taking the "Green" EZ Pass from a "Green" car to a "Non-Green" car.