Forums

Is standard Model 3 battery really ~55kwh?

Is standard Model 3 battery really ~55kwh?

My understanding is the long range battery has 96 cells. Each cell has 46 batteries(21700) and yields a combined ~75kwh battery.

If true, the midrange (62kwh battery) should have approximately 80cells.

If removing cells from the ~75kwh long range battery drops weight by approximately 125lbs to equal the mid range battery (62kwh), why is the standard version only 59lbs lighter than the midrange? Would suggest they only removed ~8 cells from the battery.

This also seems to support the 240 mile range for standard plus versus the originally estimated 220. I think standard base is just a software limited version of 55kwh battery.

Any insights?

Pepperidge | 07. maaliskuu 2019

Number of module does not change. Number of 21700 cells in one module changes.

Basil Gourmet | 07. maaliskuu 2019

To further clarify, if a maximum of 46 batteries can fit in each module (module = cell) and there is capacity for up to 96 cells, then 96 cells*46 batteries = 4416 total battery size.

Midrange should around 3680 total battery size (62kwh), and standard appears to be around 3312(56kwh) given back of the envelope weight analysis.

Bighorn | 07. maaliskuu 2019

You’re confusing battery with cell it appears. The battery is made up of modules made up of cells.

Rt002k | 07. maaliskuu 2019

The MR and SR also have a lower-rated onboard charger - it will only do a max of 32A even if on an HPWC whereas all other cars are a max of 48A. So likely part of the weight difference between LR and MR is this lower-rated (and thus probably lighter) onboard charger.

NoProbllama | 07. maaliskuu 2019

Helpful math, I think you are probably right...

M3BlueGeorgia | 07. maaliskuu 2019

The SR+ is more likely 54 than 55, IMHO

The big question, which will be resolved in a few weeks, is whether the SR battery is a software-restricted SR+ or actually has a slightly smaller battery pack. I suppose that depends on how many people save US$2K despite the SR+ being much better value for your money.
If Tesla felt few people would go for the SR (instead of SR+), a software-restricted battery pack would make financial sense for them.

Tesla2018 | 07. maaliskuu 2019

Do the various options affect the weight of the cars. Fot example non power windows, power seat and window motors, cloth versus leather interior, foglights, premium sound, etc.may be on one vetsion but not anothrr.

EVolution | 21. maaliskuu 2019

Thats what they rate at my insurance when I called

sree1213m | 27. maaliskuu 2019

SR+ is definitely 55Kwh , i put 43kwh charge to move battery range by 78%

JarvisM3 | 14. huhtikuu 2019

Can you still take a cross country trip in the SR + or is the 240 mile range not enough?

Carl Thompson | 14. huhtikuu 2019

@JarvisM3

It would depend on a lot of factors... Where you're going and by what route, what the weather is like, how you like to drive, etc, etc, etc.

But there are many people on this forum who drove the Model S 60 kWh cross country on the supercharger network and some did it years ago when there were a lot fewer superchargers.

You should be fine if you plan appropriately.

Carl Thompson | 14. huhtikuu 2019

...And the S 60 only had a 208 mile range, I think.

Bighorn | 14. huhtikuu 2019

SamO went from CA to VA to CA in 9 days in his 60 before the superchargers were everywhere. I was a witness.

JarvisM3 | 14. huhtikuu 2019

I’m planning a trip from Minneapolis to Chicago. I’m pretty sure I’ll be ok. :)

Iwantmy3 | 15. huhtikuu 2019

JarvisM3,
You can take a cross-country trip in an SR model 3. However, it could take considerably longer depending on how you like to do them.

My wife and I recently drove from Savanna Ga. to Toronto ON in my LR RWD 3. It took a little over 18 hours despite hitting traffic due to an accident which cost us ~40 minutes. This was comparable to what was estimated by abettertripplanner.com. Had we attempted this same trip with an SR RWD 3, it would have taken an extra four hours.

erixh | 05. toukokuu 2019

It seems like it has a 62kWh battery pack for the SR+
https://www.evspecifications.com/en/model/bbc397

JarvisM3 | 05. toukokuu 2019

if it is a 62kWh battery pack they are saving or software locking it down?

beaver | 05. toukokuu 2019

My guess is that the SR will keep the software limited 62 kWh battery for the time being. Silly I think since it’s wasteful both for environment and for Tesla’s P&L.

Bighorn | 06. toukokuu 2019

I think the LEMR was the original 62 kWh set up. Perhaps SR+ is simply the new vernacular.

Bulldawg | 06. toukokuu 2019

I'm beginning to think my LEMR may have been software limited to 55kWh in March when the SR+ was released.

I discussed in another thread about mileage that at 230-235 wh/mile I'm using the total amount of energy that I should be using. But now I've compared the % used with the kWh used a couple of times and the math is working out close to 55kWh.

I'm never really desperate for range so it hasn't changed anything about the way I use the car but I would like to see some clarification. Lots of MR owners noticed the change back in March and a software limit is now my working theory.

Bighorn | 06. toukokuu 2019

@Bulldawg
A lot of people get confused with results based on their methodology. If you want to use percent usage to extrapolate kWh capacity, it needs to be one uninterrupted trip. And using real world mileage without noting your efficiency relative to EPA rate constants will also get you nothing useful—again, it needs to be single trip data.

Bulldawg | 06. toukokuu 2019

Agree, Bighorn. Admittedly I'm working with limited data and I understand your warning about using uninterrupted trips to assess. That's why it's just a theory at this point.

But I am coming around to the thinking that it's more than just a display issue, which was my initial thought. More a matter of academic curiosity for me at this point.

rajan900 | 06. toukokuu 2019

So there are 3 battery configurations on the model 3 so far?
1) SR and SR+ which are the same but SR is software limited
2) mid range
3) long range

Anyone know how many individual cells in each one of these three for sure? Couldn't find anything on Tesla official website.

sl7vk | 06. toukokuu 2019

Are we sure SR+ is 62? If so then I agree it's wasteful to software lock these cars, unless you give buyers a purchase option.
I think I'd plop down a grand to get the full 62k and have the rear seat heaters unlocked.

TeslaTap.com | 06. toukokuu 2019

@sl7vk - Tesla has always given buyers options - You could buy the software locked SR, or buy the SR+; You could buy the software locked MR (no longer sold) or the LR. The only reason for software locked batteries is to offer a lower price point on low volume configurations. As the volume increases, it is likely Tesla will make a specific battery for each range. For example, just because the SR is software locked SR+ battery today, they could switch at any time to using a smaller battery for the SR once volumes justify it.

Clearly Tesla makes less margin on a software locked car, but it offers hidden value to those owners who get one. You can charge to 100% every day without undue wear on the battery. For vehicles not software locked, it's not recommended to charge to 100% every day - only when specifically needed.

sl7vk | 06. toukokuu 2019

I understand that the SR is a software locked SR+, but am I reading that both are actually just software locked MR's? The 62kw battery is the MR size, so if that is the same in a SR+, then the SR+ has a 62kw battery software locked to 55 and the SR has a 62kw battery software locked to 50kw?

kalalp | 06. toukokuu 2019

I think the only way you can determine what batteries are in the different models is run them across a scale to get the weight. Then start your comparisons.

Bulldawg | 07. toukokuu 2019

Back to my calculations. I just finished charging my mid range from 30 to 90 percent. The SemaConnect charger here at the office said it took 37.41 kWh. That works out to about 62.5 kWh total. So I'm gonna mark this down as good enough to satisfy my curiosity. I assume I have a 62 kWh configuration and the "missing" miles on the display don't matter.

chrispalmerhockey | 02. kesäkuu 2019

According to this site, the 2019 RWD SR and SR+ both have a 62kWh capacity battery
SR+ - https://www.evspecifications.com/en/model/bbc397
SR - https://www.evspecifications.com/en/model/bc5896

kevin_rf | 03. kesäkuu 2019

@Bulldawg, Are you factoring charging losses? Charging is not 100% efficient, that was the amount of energy that went into the car, not the amount that went into the battery. Roughly 10% was lost. Instead, putting you at ~55kwh.

Bulldawg | 03. kesäkuu 2019

@kevin_rf, I'm not sure what the charger reports to me. The mid range was supposed to have a 62kWh battery if my memory serves. The display tells me that I have 247 miles of range at 100% after putting 15k miles on the car. The range is great for my purposes so I'm not sweating a few percent here or there.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 03. kesäkuu 2019

What matters is that the idiots that reported the Model 3 would have a 48 kWh battery pack five years ago, were WRONG.

Gas2.org | Tesla Model E Will Be 20% Smaller, Have 48 kWh Battery
https://gas2.org/2014/03/03/tesla-model-e-will-20-smaller-48-kwh-battery/

They made assumptions, claimed to be quoting Elon Musk, but were actually paraphrasing him. Video of what he said at the time seems to have mysteriously ~*POOF*~ disappeared since.