Forums

Model Y Off Road? 7 passenger capacity for real?

Model Y Off Road? 7 passenger capacity for real?

Tesla website says Model Y can go off road. Do you believe this? A Youtuber tested the model X for off road and racked up $10,000 of damage to his car. However, the Tesla website does NOT list off roading as a capability of the Model X. Does it look like the model Y has enough road clearance for off roading? What do you think?

Also, do you think that the rear seats of the Model Y can fit a 6 ft tall, 190 lb adult male adequately? Not comfortably, but adequately. I understand that it is smaller than the Model X. It doesn't say on the website that it is a child seat like it did for the 6th and 7th passenger seats on the Model S. However, in the live reveal, a tiny 5 ft tall Asian chick got out of the rear seat. 6 passengers got out of the Model Y in the reveal.

Thanks.

jordanrichard | 15. maaliskuu 2019

Any car can go off road, just a matter of what the terrain is as to whether or not it will make it or not. A Model S and 3 can easily travel on a gravel road as long as their are no rocks larger than say 4 inches.

What specifically are you looking to do?

No, from what I have seen in videos from last night's reveal, a full grown adult won't fit in the 3rd row.

reed_lewis | 15. maaliskuu 2019

If you are expecting a Jeep or Range Rover like experience with the Model Y, then you will be disappointed . The model X and Y are designed for the highway, not trail running.

Now if you are talking about a dirt road with a few ruts, then they will certainly handle that.

When people take most 'SUVs' "Off-Road" they mean on a dirt driveway or the like.

carlk | 15. maaliskuu 2019

It's more like 5+2 than 7 seats.

JustSaying | 15. maaliskuu 2019

Read the Motor Trend model Y ride report from the reveal. The author said he is 6 foot and had about 1.5" of open head room. He did say the back 3rd row area looked kind of compact.

EVolution | 15. maaliskuu 2019

Tesla hires the best engineers in the world

they will make 2 adults fit in the back no problem

believe me
it’s not spaceX science

tomasrey88 | 16. maaliskuu 2019

I want to know if a 5ft 10, 170 lb male can fit in the 6th and 7th passenger rear most seats in the model Y. I don't care if the person can fit comfortably. As long as he can fit without bumping his head and injuring himself, tt's cool.

Also, I want to know if I can take the model Y deer hunting. That's my off road purpose, driving over prairies in Texas.

Will it have a roof rack? I want to tie a harvested deer on top of it.

I noticed a tow hitch cover in the live reveal. Anybody know the towing capacity of the Model Y? I want to tow a bass boat.

Thanks.

kcheng | 16. maaliskuu 2019

Bouldering, no. Off-road, yes. 6' in back seat, yes. 6' in 3rd row, highly doubtful.

Madatgascar | 16. maaliskuu 2019

3rd row is for kids. Even the Model X is tight in the third row (but technically workable even if you are 6’).

Yodrak. | 16. maaliskuu 2019

"Tesla hires the best engineers in the world

they will make 2 adults fit in the back no problem"

It will take surgeons, not engineers, to fit typical US size adults in the 3rd row of a Model Y.

jordanrichard | 16. maaliskuu 2019

Tomasrey88, all anyone here knows is what was mentioned during the reveal, or what Tesla has listed on the Model Y page.

Becca | 16. maaliskuu 2019

Did anyone find a ground clearance measurement for the Y? Honestly, all I miss going from a Subaru Outback to a Model 3 is cargo room and ground clearance for the snow.

Did anyone find a ground clearance measurement for the Y? Honestly, all I miss going from a Subaru Outback to a Model 3 is cargo room and ground clearance for the snow.

Oops, didn’t mean to post twice.

Uncle Paul | 16. maaliskuu 2019

Model Y has ground clearance only slightly better than the Model 3.

Believe the Subaru has around 7" of ground clearance. If you want that you will need to wait for the anticipated (but not promised) air suspension.

I have air suspension for my X, and it is fantastic off road. It is not a rock crawler, but navigates over broken and rutted back roads very well. The traction control and exquisite throttle control makes for pretty easy going in realively rough stuff, including mud and snow.

Goes up hills better than you would think.

Still, since it is an expensive vehicle, I do not push it into situations that could damage the vehicle. It does not have bash plates or sill rails, so damage to parts would be expensive to repair.

If you need a vehicle that could get you to a back roads cabin or fishing hole, it would work better than you might expect, however if you are looking for something to take off road for fun...maybe not the right car.

mbowden | 16. maaliskuu 2019

I would expect the suspension to be too stiff for even moderate off-roading, but still with a skilled/experienced driver who is willing to take it there it would probably surprise you.

Darthamerica | 17. maaliskuu 2019

These are not serious off road or even off road vehicles. They aren't built tough enough for that kind of abuse. Dirt roads, unimproved roads with MINOR ruts ok. But beyond that and you're begging for a long and expensive repair. Hopefully Model "T" and a Model "J"(for Jeep) will join the line up and allow for penetration into that category. These would be good vehicles to put some kind of solar panels on since they would be capable of operations far off of roads and away from charging infrastructure.

Yodrak. | 17. maaliskuu 2019

"Tesla website says Model Y can go off road."

Define "off road". The Model Y will go about as far "off road" as "Full Self Driving" will be "full self".

Earl and Nagin ... | 17. maaliskuu 2019

If off-road capability was really a concern to Tesla, they'd at least mention the ground clearance in the specs. I wouldn't count on much more than a RAV4 or Rogue can do.

rxlawdude | 17. maaliskuu 2019

@Yodrak +1

SpiroMint | 19. maaliskuu 2019

From what i can tell the ground clearance is Identical with the Model 3. You cant compare this car to a Rogue or a Rav4 or any small crossovers because those have the ground clearance to be a crossover.

If there is no additional ground clearance lets be honest here.... This is no more than a hatchback version of the model 3.

Uncle Paul | 19. maaliskuu 2019

Most American design Jeeps are built from the beginning with heavy off road use part of the engineering.

Most of the CUVs start out as street vehicles, then additional protection and ground clearance is added to make them more off road capable.

The drive line is certainly off road capable.

MiTesla3 | 19. maaliskuu 2019

Does anyone know if the second row can move forward and back to allow increase leg space to the third row?

kcheng | 19. maaliskuu 2019

@MIT, every small SUV I know has a 2nd row that moves forward to make foot space for the 3rd row. It would almost seem to be a necessity.