Forums

Very disappointing Service Center experience

Very disappointing Service Center experience

I just dropped off my P85D for a few noise related concerns (loose part above sun visor, front axle and air suspension clanging). I was immediately greeted with the forewarning that noises are not covered by Tesla warranty and there would be a $175 diagnostic fee. If it is found that it is a defect, then they would cover.
This felt a bit tone-deaf given my history with the car and service center. This is the same service center that voluntarily replaced my driver door seal to address wind noise issues.
As an early adopter I willingly bought into the bleeding edge and was ok with the well above average number of service visits for quality issues on a car at this price point. In return, to date I have received excellent service and almost a boutique like experience.
Those days are clearly over. Maybe it is the volume of the 3's they are contending with, but I would still hope that management would continue to look out for early adopters and do the right thing as they have in the past.
For me it wasn't the cost, but just the contentious nature of there being a challenge to my claim that the car has something wrong and the complete lack of awareness of the issues dealt with so far.
Maybe the newer cars deserve this level of confidence, but I can tell you first hand the older ones do not.

jordanrichard | 18. maaliskuu 2019

I too would have been bothered by the tone-deafness. As for the "diagnostic fee", Should take all of a few minutes to identify a noise above the sun visors. The same goes true with the suspension.

Did you have a chance to speak with the manager?

The volume of cars would understandably has an effect on perhaps their patience/civility, but that shouldn't be grounds for charging for what was done gratis in the past.

rxlawdude | 18. maaliskuu 2019

Which Service Center?

dsteal | 18. maaliskuu 2019

That's a bummer. My experience at service centers so far has been well above average compared to previous brands. I think that level of service leads to brand loyalty and it should apply to both early adopters and to people who buy the Model 3 today or a year from now. It just makes business sense. The $175 diagnostic fee thing sounds very much average.

2015P90DI | 18. maaliskuu 2019

I'd argue that one. If your car is under warranty, then they should check it for defects. Would definitely talk to a manager. Although, Tesla has a way of being pretty stubborn and employees may be following the manager's instruction. If you're able to, and the manager doesn't help you, would try a different service center. Maybe tell them it feels loose rather than "is making noise".

Tesla service used to be incredible. It's clear that the number of cars on the road has grown faster than they've added service centers to handle them. Some day they'll get caught up again. In the meantime, we'll all suffer accordingly. Of course, some people in less Tesla populated areas may still be fortunate enough to receive the white glove service, but areas where they sell a lot of Model 3's are going to feel it. Inevitable.

ooagentmm | 18. maaliskuu 2019

Tesla service is definitely still outstanding in some areas. On a recent road trip I stopped by the Indianapolis service center and they totally kicked ass. They are just too busy here on the west coast to give service even 1/10th as good as that.

cassiri | 18. maaliskuu 2019

I did very quickly ask to speak to the manager. I got the exact same speech albeit with apologies for the policy. The rattle in question is easily duplicated by tapping on the headliner. Not something they will spend time chasing and was likely caused at one of the many service visits working on various sunroof issues.
It just feels like a very rigid implementation of a policy from a company I enjoyed working with because of their uniqueness and flexibility. I'm not mad, just disappointed. :)

Silver2K | 19. maaliskuu 2019

Diagnostic fee? Is this something new?

I have a click in my pano that was added by the service center when they repaired the original sound in my pano. The original squishy/squeeky drive you mad sound is back with an added click now.

I don't expect much from MT. Kisco, they're just a crappy service center everyone hates. I decided they will no longer touch my car and will be going to Paramus from now on. I got tired of MT. Kisco's incompetence long ago.

Roger1 | 19. maaliskuu 2019

On the other hand, I had a great experience with my local Tesla service center when I had trouble with the frunk latch not working properly. I drove in on a Friday afternoon to ask for help with opening it. They recognized the problem and offered to repair it on the spot. An hour or so later the problem was fixed under warranty and I was on my way.

sgoodmanesq | 19. maaliskuu 2019

I inquired about diagnostic fees at my SC and was informed that they don’t charge them because the cars are easily and quickly diagnosed. There does appear to be discretion given to the SCs on what and how much to charge for service.

AZGLFR | 19. maaliskuu 2019

I have been to the Tempe AZ. Service center on three occasions , they provided great service each time .

cassiri | 19. maaliskuu 2019

My current experience was in the Bay Area with a center I have used many times with nothing but good service. I have used numerous service centers and had good cooperation from all even at times when they struggled to fix things the first time. The gap between those experiences and this very rigid policy based approach is what shocked me. I can get that from plenty of other car companies and had really thought the cordial service approach where they don't challenge your issues as something that set my Tesla ownership apart. And quite frankly made the very high level of service visits tolerable.

TeslaTap.com | 19. maaliskuu 2019

@cassiri - any chance your car is out of warranty (except for battery and DU)? That might explain it. All cars sold before Mar-2015 are now out of warranty unless you have the extended warranty.

thomaslee731 | 19. maaliskuu 2019

Costa Mesa, CA Service Center sucks.

Tldickerson | 19. maaliskuu 2019

@thomaslee731 , I'm not sure what problems you have had there but I've been dealing with them with 2 Model S's over 4 years and they have been nothing but great with me.

sentabo | 19. maaliskuu 2019

It would be nice to know which SC the OP is referring to. Plenty of SCs in the Bay Area.

Bighorn | 20. maaliskuu 2019

I had great experiences at both Costa Mesa and Mt Kisco and every other service center I’ve used around North America—Denver, Salt Lake City, Calgary, Phoenix and St Louis.

kimvellore | 20. maaliskuu 2019

I'd say welcome to Tesla!!!. My new car with 50 miles is held hostage at the service center, its been over 2 months and now when I call Tesla and they get my information, they either put me on hold, or transfer me back to the music. This is the service center at Santa Clara

SO | 20. maaliskuu 2019

@kimvellore - Tesla has had your new car for 2 months and with only 50 miles?

What’s wrong with it? You should probably ask for a replacement.

Bighorn | 20. maaliskuu 2019

You mean the 50 miles on the paperwork for new cars?

kimvellore | 20. maaliskuu 2019

I took my new car for wheel upgrade and they damaged the body, still trying to fix it and not telling me why it is taking so long or when I can have my car back.

Tropopause | 20. maaliskuu 2019

Tesla does wheel upgrades?

Mathew98 | 20. maaliskuu 2019

Sure, you bring them the rims and they will charge you for balancing and installation.

Mathew98 | 20. maaliskuu 2019

Just don't accuse them off giving you an expensive rim job...

cassiri | 20. maaliskuu 2019

I hesitated to mention that it was the Santa Clara center because I have historically had very good interactions with them. I have also used Sunnyvale and had mostly good experiences as well. I am not out of warranty and in fact made a point of the fact that I have until June to get some of these minor non drivetrain issues taken care of.
The flat $175 fee also struck me as odd, because if they felt it wasn't there responsibility most carmakers would charge you an hourly rate to diagnose not the flat fee. It really feels like they are getting overwhelmed by new owners who are presenting what they think are bogus claims.
I'm not sure if other early Model S owners share this experience, but I had a couple years of trying to get the wind noise to an acceptable level. The windows were not tracking tight enough to the body to the point you could easily pass something from inside to outside the car. From my limited exposure to the newer cars, this issue has been addressed.
But seriously, wind noise and squeaks and rattles are not covered???? If that attitude keeps up my brand loyalty will be tested.

akikiki | 20. maaliskuu 2019

cassiri, I've read your posts and I guess I missed the place where you mentioned your car was still under warranty. But if it is not under warranty, how long after warranty has expired is Tesla supposed to work on wind noise, squeaks and rattles? And to answer your question, no wind noise, squaks and rattles are not usually covered forever, under warranty and sometimes even before the car's main drive train warranty has expired.

thomaslee731 | 20. maaliskuu 2019

So my story with Costa Mesa SC was

01/2019 they fixed my airbag, but they damage my steering wheel.
03/2019 They fixed my steering wheel, then damage my door handle trim.
05/2019 They will fix my door handle trim, probably break something else again ........ sigh .....

If you don't mind they scratch your interior, of coz they are great,
I just disappointed. I paid $85k and don't get the luxury brand service......

California85D | 20. maaliskuu 2019

My 2015 Model S still has 6 months of warranty left. My last service visit in Fremont was horrible. Bad enough that I won't go there again. Was actually planning to try Santa Clara next time. Hope it goes ok because I will be out of warranty soon and have a number of little things I'd like addressed first. Overall the car has been reliable, I've only brought it in once a year for annual service.

tfrench | 21. maaliskuu 2019

I had a 2017 VW GTI, and the back passenger door had a noise when I was up to say 70 mph. They troubleshot this at no charge and fixed it. Maybe Tesla is getting overwhelmed.

Silver2K | 21. maaliskuu 2019

Mathew98 | March 20, 2019
Just don't accuse them off giving you an expensive rim job...
--------

Very funny!!

rxlawdude | 21. maaliskuu 2019

Tesla needs to either expand Costa Mesa or open another Service Center in South Orange County. Costa Mesa, which was fantastic from 2015 through 2017, has degraded substantially.

I would guess @Bighorn's experience wasn't recent, and since he was road tripping, they worked to get him back on the road faster than a local.

Jcastillo18 | 21. maaliskuu 2019

This expensive rim job is enticing though lol

Mathew98 | 21. maaliskuu 2019

@Jcastillo18 - Tesla is providing another kind of service. I believe you will find what you are looking for at Orchids Of Asia Day Spa...

Jcastillo18 | 21. maaliskuu 2019

@matthew it’s a joke but thanks for the info .Not the spa thing the real tire service. I also have been having problems with replacing a wiper motor and recall on steering bulltien . Hope your car gets fixed soon.

Mathew98 | 21. maaliskuu 2019

We all clown around here from time to time...

I had a cracked rim and all my tires needed replacement at 40K miles. The SC didn't have the original Goodyear Eagle RSA in stock. So I bought them (OEM tires and a single rim) from Tirerack.com and shipped everything to the SC for them to balance and mount.

FYI, Tesla will only put in OEM tires/rims for you. They don't mount after market tires/rims.