Forums

Rear View Camera - atleast 5 sec delay in coming on (always black initially)

Rear View Camera - atleast 5 sec delay in coming on (always black initially)

Is anyone else having serious delays with the backup camera coming on. Mine takes atleast 5secs after going black initially. This is a problem and needs to be fixed. I know you can do a reset, but it still comes back eventually and one shouldnt have to reset so often. Any other car, the backup camera comes on right away. This only starting happening after the last two updates.

vinnie919 | 09. huhtikuu 2019

Mine will once in a while start up black... It's kind of annoying. Happens maybe once a week?

scherer326 | 09. huhtikuu 2019

mine is starting to be regular, it was great until the last two updates that in a POS now on startup. It shouldnt be like this in my opinion. I am hoping it is fixed in one of the upcoming updates.

Marzipan | 09. huhtikuu 2019

yes happens to me and many others in this forum - there are a few threads about this.

Mine started with the last update to 2019.8.5

Seems like once I start driving backwards in comes on.

crmedved | 09. huhtikuu 2019

Mine usually comes on within 3 seconds or so since the last update. It used to be like 3... or maybe 30 depending on how "awake" it was feeling :) The charge port is also rather slow at times... It will take ~5 seconds to register the button press on the charger cord. Hoping it gets down to instant!

HummerMan3 | 09. huhtikuu 2019

+1 for this issue, as the OP described, increasing frequency. Seems better since taking the latest firmware update 2 days ago.

jithesh | 09. huhtikuu 2019

For me it only happens once in a while and started many months back.. I just use the old school way of backing up for that time.

I guess it could be some delay in the software/electronics because any other car doesn't have this much software/electronics involved. This is not just a backup camera I bet it also goes through the autopilot software layer.

TexasBob | 09. huhtikuu 2019

the should fix in next update. very annoying.

ialsoagree | 09. huhtikuu 2019

I had this issue frequently before the last couple updates.

Tip: if you know or think you need reverse at your destination, bring up the rear camera during your drive. It will be "awake" and ready long before you arrive.

Rt002k | 09. huhtikuu 2019

@TexasBob - that's what we were all hoping with the last update.

This happens to me every single time I switch to reverse, it's getting old. I've also had more glitchy screen issues in the last week than in the last 8 months. I didn't realize we all got into the early access program!

TexasBob | 09. huhtikuu 2019

@Rt002k I agree. Glitchy screen issues and backup camera is super annoying. I did a power-down and restart. That seemed to help the screen hesitation problem FWIW.

jack.hodges | 09. huhtikuu 2019

I'm on 2019.8.5 and I have had this issue about 50% of the time when backing up. The previous update was so bad that I called and scheduled mobile service to take a look for a hardware issue. Seems clearly that there is a firmware issue that could be addressed sooner rather than later, since I consider this a critical safety feature.

jimglas | 09. huhtikuu 2019

I have never had this problem, but I always keep the rear camera up on the screen. Works better than the rearview mirror.

jimglas | 09. huhtikuu 2019

I have never had this problem, but I always keep the rear camera up on the screen. Works better than the rearview mirror.

vmulla | 09. huhtikuu 2019

Happens often to me (once every 2/3 days), I just put the car into drive and move it back to reverse - that fixes the issue. I'm impatient to wait for the image to show up by itself, and so I switch to drive and reverse. I don't feel bad because of this quick-fix trick.

Jtwo | 09. huhtikuu 2019

I've had it happen but the delay is usually less than 5 seconds.

magrajeda | 09. huhtikuu 2019

Started to happen to me as well What I do now is after I park I open the camera and leave it on until the next time I drive. This way when I enter the car again the camera comes up after a delay but will be ready when I need to use it again.

wehrmargaret | 09. huhtikuu 2019

Started happening to me more frequently after updated 2019.8.5. It's a noticeable delay after putting it in reverse.

Daryl | 09. huhtikuu 2019

Mine was doing this almost all the time on 2019.5.5, but once I updated to 2019.8.5 the problem cleared up. I haven't seen it happen in several days now.

Seems to be the opposite of what some others are reporting.

MrSexyTime | 09. huhtikuu 2019

2019.8.5 seemed to clear it up for me too.

JPPTM | 09. huhtikuu 2019

Happened to me on 8.3 and still an issue on 8.5.

andrewsjra | 09. huhtikuu 2019

8.6 fixed it for me.

ben.tsm | 09. huhtikuu 2019

I started seeing the same issue today. Soft reset via buttons on steering wheel did not fix the issue. White parking assist lines show up, but completely black screen otherwise in camera area. Picked up car only 4 days ago.

Electric_Sheeple | 10. huhtikuu 2019

Seems to be corrected w/ 8.5 .... I experienced the same thing w/ 8.3 [2019 TM3 SR+ w/ AP]

teeonemillion | 10. huhtikuu 2019

Just wanted to post, still happens to me with the 2019.8.5 release.

Reflex | 11. huhtikuu 2019

2019.8.3 is when this issue started for me (about a week ago, right after the update).
Truly a "pain in the ass" -- get it?

Carl Thompson | 11. huhtikuu 2019

I had the issue only once on 2019.5.15. Even though I was on that release for a month or so and now I'm on 2019.8.5 it has not recurred so far.

ICEMELT | 11. huhtikuu 2019

I do see a noticeable delay. Haven't counted seconds to be precise.

keefro | 01. toukokuu 2019

Same issue for me. Has been happening in the last two releases. 2019.8.5. screen freezes and reboots occasionally too.

bdeemter | 04. toukokuu 2019

i just turn on my reverse camera 10sec before i know im going to back up......still very annoying. FWP!

No_ICE | 04. toukokuu 2019

This issue seems to be resolved (for me) in 2019.12.1.2

gw5815 | 06. toukokuu 2019

I have 2019.12.1.2 and it's happening - between 2 and 5 secs. If I reboot, it's fine for awhile, but comes back,

steevsteevsteev | 07. toukokuu 2019

I had the same issue. 2019.12.1.2 improved it a lot, but it will still sometimes take 2-3 seconds to turn on. I had my tires rotated today and the tech told me that they're still working on it. Who knows if they actually are or if that's just something they told the tech to say.

tbd2001_01 | 07. toukokuu 2019

Still happening to my vehicle

lordmiller | 07. toukokuu 2019

Pretty much resolved for me. Not a big deal anyway, just a second once in a while, I'll live.

christian | 07. toukokuu 2019

Yes, never happened once to me until 2019.8.5. Now it happens probably 90% of the time. Super annoying.

KayWhy | 28. toukokuu 2019

I have 2019.12.1.2 and my backup camera delays about 10-15 seconds when in reverse before anything shows on the screen. If I reboot, it's fine for awhile, but goes back to initial problem. This started happening after the last update that Tesla pushed. Tesla needs to find a permanent fix to this ASAP!!!

tbd2001_01 | 28. toukokuu 2019

here here

mysachdeva | 08. heinäkuu 2019

Happening to me still; after software update too.

Syed.Hosain | 08. heinäkuu 2019

2019.20.4..2 is showing this problem too when shifting into reverse. Not always, but often enough that it is getting kinda irritating.

About 4 to 5 seconds of delay. And, once it [i]stayed[/i] black, so I manually turned it off and on, and it worked.

jrminnick | 28. elokuu 2019

I just started having this problem with the most recent update (2019.28.3.1) on my Model 3P

globalMan | 28. elokuu 2019

This problem had survived and persisted across many software updates. My Model 3 rear camera has delay of at least 5 seconds, almost every time.

scottg38 | 11. lokakuu 2019

By any chance, how many people experiencing this here are also using TeslaCam?
Wondering if there's some buffering or something requiring files to be switched or transferred.

rjriker | 11. lokakuu 2019

I did a soft reset and that resolved the problem. I had that occurring for over one week.

Rogue Leader | 12. lokakuu 2019

I’ve had this issue for 9 months. They “say” it’s a software issue. I smell BS

JPWhite | 01. marraskuu 2019

I've had this issue for a long time now. Its really annoying. Wish they could fix it.

RedShift | 01. marraskuu 2019

Yep, it’s back for me too. Damn it, find the root cause and fix it, already!

BobGarrett9 | 17. marraskuu 2019

Happens on our Model 3 as well. Very annoying.

vincelorto | 17. marraskuu 2019

I had this for a while but it is gone with the most recent software update for me. One pedal driving update.