Forums

Unexplained Glass Roof etched upon delivery

Unexplained Glass Roof etched upon delivery

Has anyone else noticed 4 inch circular rings on their glass roof. I have several rings in a perfect line from front to back. Only noticeable when sun hits it at a certain angle. I took delivery of this car in March and really didn't notice it until 2 weeks later. At first I thought it was a cup or coffee ring, but after a wash and no luck removing it, I noticed there were several etched circles on the roof. It appears like damage from a robotic assembly machine. Of course Tesla said it should have been noticed upon delivery, but as I stated it is very faint and only noticed in certain light conditions. I am trying to get a district rep to look at it, but no luck thus far. If anyone else has noticed a similar issue please let me know.

Uncle Paul | 07. toukokuu 2019

Maybe a little clay bar rubbing will take it off. Can you feel it with your finger nail?

kerryglittle | 07. toukokuu 2019

Wouldn't be from stickers that were removed would it? I use a great product for light scratches that isn't abrasive. Makes windows crystal clear. Called Plexus. Can be used on paint too. Works awesome on my motorcycle windshield. Not flogging a product its just been proven to work so good for me.

kerryglittle | 07. toukokuu 2019

Just had another thought . I know at factories they use suction cups for moving glass into place. Might have left a mark thats hard to remove. Anybody who has removed their windshield GPS will know what I mean.

bryan.hopkins | 08. toukokuu 2019

I had to have my windshield replaced due to a leak. When car was returned, it had noticeable rings approx. 4-5" in diameter. No scratches but rather appeared as a residue from the lifting device used to move the glass. It has worn off over the last few weeks and is no longer noticeable. i assume it is some sort of agent used to improve the adhesion of the lifting device.

Made in CA | 08. toukokuu 2019

@Kerrylittle +1

eric | 08. toukokuu 2019

My wife’s car (GL350) has exactly the same round suction cup-looking things on her rear window. Only come out in the rain for some reason.

AERODYNE | 08. toukokuu 2019

Kerryglittle +1. I have been using plexus for 20 years on aircraft transparencies.

In the case of the ring marks on glass, I would try some denatured alcohol.

p.c.mcavoy | 10. toukokuu 2019

An alternative to denatured alcohol, as some might be sensitive to using that for fear of getting on the paint finish, would be to try any good lens or glasses cleaning spray or wipe. May take a few tries to totally remove it as even the slightest trace in the right light can create a sheen type of effect, similar to how a single drop of oil on water will spread and create a visible sheen with the right lighting.

Anthony J. Parisio | 10. toukokuu 2019

Is it really very troubling to you? Does it really take away from the beauty of your car?

ktslab | 10. toukokuu 2019

I'd say yes. it's an expensive car, to live with that, some people myself included, will not feel comfortable.

Tropopause | 10. toukokuu 2019

My Model 3 has little square shapes on the inside of the front windshield that only seem to come out with high humidity or when the inside glass gets hazy. I wipe them off and they're gone for a few weeks. No scratches though.

GHammer | 10. toukokuu 2019

"ktslab | May 10, 2019
I'd say yes. it's an expensive car, to live with that, some people myself included, will not feel comfortable"

All my new cars in the last ten years have had that, as others have said it's residue left over from the robotic assembly handling. It's only surface, only visible under certain circumstances and will eventually wear off. Dont sweat it.