Forums

First Software Update

First Software Update

I recently bought a used 2015 Model S 85D. I just got notified I have a software update pending. I've read alot on these forums and really seems like these software updates can be hit or miss in terms of bugs? Who's taking these software updates immediately vs. waiting? What's the strategy here?

I'm on 2019.12.1.1 for whatever that's worth?

J.T. | 16. toukokuu 2019

Here's my strategy which has served me well for over 6 years.

1) Only install at home.
2) Remove thumb drives from USB ports.
3) Install update.
4) After install is finished, reboot using scroll wheels.
5) Drive like you stole it.

jordanrichard | 16. toukokuu 2019

First, congrats on joining us here in the future.

Just install the update. If the "bug" is in the update which is a series of codes, waiting isn't going to make those bugs go away. Tesla will send out patches subsequent to a update to fix those bugs. I got 2019.12.1.1 a couple of weeks ago and my radio started having issues like cutting out when I put the car into either D or R and I had to tap streaming radio to get sound back.

Just this morning I got 2019.16.1.1 and at this point, that radio glitch seems to be gone.

jimglas | 16. toukokuu 2019

.they would not be sending you an update if they did not think it would improve your car
if there is a bug, it will be corrected.

TeslaTap.com | 16. toukokuu 2019

@ageiss - Congrats on your new acquisition.

I've found the benefits of new updates is worth the small risk of a new bug. I'd say the majority of so called bugs reported here are either not bugs at all but design choices (for good or bad). Some issues have been present far longer than the latest update, only someone just noticed it. So an update may take care of it.

If a serious issue is found, Tesla has been very proactive in releasing a fix - a few times within days of being reported. With most legacy automakers, bugs are never fixed, and you have to buy a whole new car to get updated software. Software updates are one of the best features of Tesla vehicles.