Forums

Dash and Glove Compartment Scratches Easily

Dash and Glove Compartment Scratches Easily

Does anyone notice that the the exterior surface of the glove compartment and black dash gets scratched very easily?

I tried cleaning it with a microfiber towel and water and it doesn’t improve it.

A shame how cheap that material is and doesn’t hold up from slight wear and tear.

Magic 8 Ball | 26. kesäkuu 2019

Horrible, just horrible!

jimglas | 26. kesäkuu 2019

sell it and buy a yugo

lordmiller | 26. kesäkuu 2019

Jesus!

gmkellogg | 26. kesäkuu 2019

I haven't had any issues with the dash, but my kids scuffed up the plate on the back of the front seats pretty well.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 26. kesäkuu 2019

Do you often go to the beach? It could be sand. Sand is a granular form of quartz which rates a 7 on the Mohs Hardness Scale, just ahead of a steel nail.

Lonestar10_1999 | 26. kesäkuu 2019

Some folks have had success with vinyl wraps specifically tailored to the M3 dash and console and sold on Amazon. It may be just the trick to hide scratches and other surface blemishes.

derotam | 26. kesäkuu 2019

WHAT!!! That scratches easily?!?!?, I've never heard of that in these forums before... /s

Ok, anyway...yes it scratches easily. I am trying to keep from wrapping it as long as I can. First thing I did after buying the car was to put a coat of wax on it...this helps a lot to prevent simple scratched from say a paper napkin, wiping dus off with your fingers...etc. Doesn't help for keys, dirt, sand, etc from being ground into the surface though.

badaman | 26. kesäkuu 2019

Cure it with tire shine spray.

lilbean | 26. kesäkuu 2019

Good to know.
The material is very soft and scratches very easily. I just try not to touch it.

gballant4570 | 26. kesäkuu 2019

After 9 months I don't have a scratch on mine..... I've been to the beach..... I don't try not to touch anything.....I take a friend of mine on Tuesdays for real estate appraisal fieldwork, and he's always got a clipboard in the passenger seat.....I've rashed three rims, but not the dash or glovebox....?

calvin940 | 26. kesäkuu 2019

I have also had mine for 9 months and have 2 kids. The back seats get the normal kid boot scuffs/dirt etc but haven't seen anything scratch wise in the front passenger side during its occupation.

I think the stuff is just a function of how you treat it. I have seen high quality items take way less abuse than cheap items so I am not sure you can make a distinction as to it's cost contributor.

Believe me, the dash is soft. Even normal treatment will scratch it.

lordmiller | 26. kesäkuu 2019

@Neomaxizoomdweebie - Hilarious!!

vmulla | 26. kesäkuu 2019

How? Where?

There's the small strip of area ahead of the vent and wood accent, there's the glove box door, and there's the sides. Which area gets scratched now?

Those areas have a dust collection problem for me, I don't even touch those areas under normal use.

TeslaTap.com | 26. kesäkuu 2019

I miss those all metal dashes from the 60s. Highly resistant to heads crashing into it at speed. On second thought, maybe a soft dash is a good idea.

@vmulla The black part closest to the windshield.

@lilbean,
Ok :)

You folks are getting smoother at sarcasm :)

TM3Q | 26. kesäkuu 2019

I use a swiffer duster on the dash and nothing else. :-)

Magic 8 Ball | 26. kesäkuu 2019

Scientific analysis must show people prefer to smash their head into wood. My '51 Merc's metal dash has the factory painted fake wood and now our TESLA has a wood strip across the dash. Not hard to put two and two together ; 0.

@vmulla I just looked at it. There is a mesh fabric closest to the windshield. It's the part next to that.

M3phan | 26. kesäkuu 2019

@Starboy2016, I had unintentionally scratched both dash and glovebox, grief alcohol and water/cloth...and found this great stuff, when lightly applied with a soft black cotton sock (my interior is black), works great. Been using it now for a few months and each application not only cleans, it restores the surfaces and fades the scuffs over time. It’s called:
Black Magic Interior Multi-Surface Detailer (No Glare Natural Finish)
This is non greasy, matte finish. And you don’t wipe it off. Just liberally spray onto the sock (NOT the surface) and gently wipe in one direction over the surface and leave to dry. Perfection.

seriously, someone will have to post pics for me to understand how anyone touches that area, let alone scratch it!

Are you folks resting your feet up there? Putting something there?

For either, attempts to simply clean the surface may unintentionally introduce scuff or scratch.
In my case:
For the glovebox, my spouse scuffs unintentionally with feet (leg crossing), and purse.
For the dash: it was an attempt to clean off a spot at delivery that introduced some scuffs.

numrich | 26. kesäkuu 2019

Highly recommend the product link below exactly for the concern stated in this thread:

303 Aerospace Protectant

https://www.amazon.com/303-Products-30313-Aerospace-Protectant/dp/B00LCD...

This was among a set of products I had seen reviewed and recommended on various Model 3 YouTube vids, that I purchased and took delivery even before my car arrived.

I applied this first day to black back dash and glove compartment Though I had no scratches at the time, the vids did show this doing a great job or removing and protecting.

By coincidence, I had just reapplied this evening before seeing this post.

PS: both surfaces look almost new now. That product is sweet.

numrich | 26. kesäkuu 2019

Highly recommend the product link below exactly for the concern stated in this thread:

303 Aerospace Protectant

https://www.amazon.com/303-Products-30313-Aerospace-Protectant/dp/B00LCD...

This was among a set of products I had seen reviewed and recommended on various Model 3 YouTube vids, that I purchased and took delivery even before my car arrived.

I applied this first day to black back dash and glove compartment Though I had no scratches at the time, the vids did show this doing a great job or removing and protecting.

By coincidence, I had just reapplied this evening before seeing this post.

What?? That product as ONE review on Amazon.

is this some joke?

badaman | 26. kesäkuu 2019

@M3phan - exactly, i used tire shine and it worked great. Spray onto micro tower and apply lightly.

-TheJohn- | 26. kesäkuu 2019

I totally agree that the glove box scratches if you even look at it let alone have your shoes brush it while getting out.
It's the only part of the interior that doesn't wipe right off with a bit of TLC and 70% isopropyl. Scuffed it up week one and that's the way it's stayed. Alas! It's super minor though and I don't give a 1st world frack about it.

I can totally see how that'd be annoying if you were the type to be annoyed by such.

casun | 26. kesäkuu 2019

i wear a full coverage crushed velvet body suit and i don’t let anyone in my car so i have no chance of scratching anything.

But the glove box is above the shoes!!

I don't see a problem, I don't have any issues with the material - I'm trying too hard to understand what you folks are taking about. So, bye!

Scrub it and you’ll understand. :)

henryrome67 | 26. kesäkuu 2019

I can't break my wife's habit of getting into the car with a large purse in her left hand which rubs up against the glove box sometimes leaving long scratches. I try to catch her but sometimes she's too quick. She is not someone who is careful with property. It is obviously a bone of contention as I cannot see repeatedly doing the same thing..

Sit in the passenger seat and cross your legs and you’ll understand.

@henryrome67, feel your pain, Brutha! Same here. Got my car last summer and it looks better in the interior than my wife’s 2019 Toyota 86 GT. She lives in hers so it takes some work for me to get it new again. But yeah, she does the bag thing against the glovebox.

PS: related...anyone else’s wife seem to want to finish getting ready in your car, and having it muck things up? By that I mean: applying makeup touch ups, and getting smudges of it on the visor and vanity mirror flap? Or this is worse (for me anyway), applying greasy hand lotion once we start driving, then touching the door panel, the seat, and the center arm rest with lotiony hands and arms!!!!
As soon as we get home, out comes the warm soapy water and fresh microfiber!

I’m so glad I don’t have a wife that does that!

LikeLightning | 27. kesäkuu 2019

@M3phan- lol!! Uhh, yeah... sounds familiar.

TeslaTap.com | 27. kesäkuu 2019

I've got to stop letting passengers wear shoes with ice cleats and resting them on the dash. Lots of little holes everywhere. Now I have to poke a bunch more holes to even it out. I tell people it's part of Tesla's advanced ventilation system :)

gballant4570 | 27. kesäkuu 2019

I am thinking that I must have been 10 years old or less the last time either I was limber enough or the car was large enough to actually cross my legs while inside.....

But I remember seeing (on TV) a woman in a grocery store, who was born with no arms. She managed her two small children, loaded the buggy, unloaded it on the check out belt, wrote a check for payment, and exited the store pushing the buggy, all with zero assistance. I'll bet she could cross her legs in the passenger seat of a Model 3 as well.

M3phan | 27. kesäkuu 2019

Everyone stop breathing in my car!!!!

jimglas | 27. kesäkuu 2019

remember to take off your crampons before entering the vehicle

wb808 | 27. kesäkuu 2019

So basically if you want to clean the dash from dust or whatever DON’T wipe it with anything, rather you should use a duster? Otherwise simply wiping it could produce scratches? Is that the consensus?

Magic 8 Ball | 27. kesäkuu 2019

I wipe with TP sometimes you just have to scratch.

@wb808, a Swiffer duster lightly stroked across the dash works great to remove dust.

TeslaTap.com | 27. kesäkuu 2019

@wb808 - Dust is not a problem - sand is a problem (for most cars, not just Tesla). Myself, I vacuum the dash with a soft brush attachment on my battery operated Dyson. No scratches so far.

Interesting, I never get sand in my car. Where is the sand coming from?

texxx | 27. kesäkuu 2019

"Where is the sand coming from?"

Latest update?

Hahahahahaha

jimglas | 27. kesäkuu 2019

I dont think lightly stroking is going to get the job done

Pages