Forums

Missing Wheel Well Liner Retainers

Missing Wheel Well Liner Retainers

I recently noticed that my Model 3 is missing some wheel well liner retainers in all the wheel wells. At first I thought maybe they weren't supposed to be there but, one side has some and the other side doesn't. I know it's a minor issue because the liner isn't going anywhere but how did Tesla miss this? Guess I'll see if mobile service can take care of it. Anyone else missing the retainers?

Magic 8 Ball | 18. heinäkuu 2019

Yes, they determined some were redundant. Have over 11K on our car and had it up to 127 mph, nothing fell off.

Resist | 18. heinäkuu 2019

When why would one side have them and the same spot on the other side be missing them?

And if redundancy was the reason, you don't drills holes in the metal for a retainer.

My theory. The hole in the sheet metal can be very accurately located. The holes in the compliant fiber material not so much. The fiber parts are compliant and they shrink and grow depending on shipping, stacking, and storage conditions.

If the holes line up between metal and fiber liner they get a grommet, if not and the location was determined redundant then they just leave it out. The holes that do not have grommets on my car do not line up without trying to bend the liner or force to align and be close the the sheet metal hole beneath.

Nobody is drilling holes all the holes are stamped in.

Maybe I wasn't clear, in my Model 3 the holes perfectly line up in the metal with the liner holes. But as I stated, one side does not have the grommets in the same hole that the other side does have a grommet.

Yes, I knew the holes are stamped into the metal and that's what I meant...not drilled as I typed. Sorry.

Do they line up and sit flush or is there a gap. In any case it would be optional to put a grommet in a redundant location and maybe a worker chose the option on one side (not one person assembling the whole car).

If it bothers you some have buying their own push grommets on line (they are standard across many mfrs) or go to the SC and see if they will address your concern. Does not bother me so..........................

M3phan | 18. heinäkuu 2019

Agree with M8B. My SC confirmed last year it’s due to redundancy (determined not needed) and some left off for efficiency in manufacturing. A year later, my liners are secure, just fine.
Why are your dudes diff (some with, some without?) no idea. Seems most of them apparently aren’t needed. I’m missing most but again no probs at all.

M3phan | 18. heinäkuu 2019

Dudes=sides.
Although Dudes more fun

vmulla | 18. heinäkuu 2019

Just looks odd, and definitely looks like something is missing. Older cars such as mine have them, later ones don't.
I'd rather have a better windshield in the newer cars than a few plastic grommets or fluff under the floorboard that older cars have.
While you're looking at that area, the other odd thing is the material choice for the wheel well. The service center folks told me that the unconventional material choice was for noise deadening.

Yes, not a big deal but I think I want the holes filed with a grommet anyway. At the very least to keep water and road dirt from going into them.

One odd thing I also noticed about the wheel well liner is the gaps in-between the liner and outside fender edge. I tried pushing the liner back some but it doesn't stay there to close the gap.

vmulla | 18. heinäkuu 2019

Resist | July 18, 2019
Yes, not a big deal but I think I want the holes filed with a grommet anyway.
---

Ok, a few cents spent at Home Depot should fix it.

And the gap near the wheel well is normal. If you want to close that gap, there's a black tape that's used to fix leaks, a self healing type. My friend used it over the two surfaces around the gap, and trimmed it with an exacto knife. Looks factory finish.
I left mine alone. After 40k miles and 2 winters - no ill effects felt.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for all the help!

Joni.Savolainen | 30. heinäkuu 2019

Can we have pics?

mandeeprandhawa85 | 30. heinäkuu 2019

I had this question for my service center visit and i was told couple of spots in rear wheels area dont even come with retainers. It was just that i noticed this during my routine check up and asked.

Joni.Savolainen | 31. heinäkuu 2019

There should be retainers & clips in place if you watch brand new delivery --> https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/post-delivery-inspection-of-my-p...

llim3306 | 31. heinäkuu 2019

The wheel well interior retainers were purposely not installed due to cost cutting measures. Elon told the assemblers to omit the retainers. I got this information from the quality control folks after I discovered them missing from my M3 built in 6/2019.

aaroncheung1 | 01. elokuu 2019

My service center also said that the undercarriage covers are 70% bolted from the factory because that's what's necessary to hold them on but they will 100% bolt them if you live in an area that gets snow and local flooding.