Forums

Regen braking.....how much does it add back

Regen braking.....how much does it add back

Just curious. Will make my own tests when/if wife ever lets me drive her S75D.

But wonder how much regen adds back into range. Of course, it depends on many things. But her 52 mile one way commute to work with 70% of miles on hiway and 30% traffic surface streets.....wonder how much it "saves" electricity.

I'm learning more about this new/used car of hers. SOme have pointed out the brakes last forever because of the single pedal driving. Have seen advice to get them serviced once a year so they can adjust and grease and maintain them. Thought maybe she should drive WITHOUT regen braking once a week or month so as to use the friction brakes and get them to cycle and up to temp and help keep them in working order.

So, any thoughts to my thoughts?

Coo

Bighorn | 31. heinäkuu 2019

Regen mitigates the energy lost to the heat of braking. Someone who coasts without needing to use brakes is actually more efficient than regen. Where regen really shines is on descents where brakes would be needed to keep from speeding. That’s when miles can be added to the tank.

Annual lube is for northern climes where corrosive ice melts are used.

CooHead | 31. heinäkuu 2019

Gotcha....so it doesn't add back much measurable. But the one pedal driving is cool. SO, if her range went from 200miles at start and ended at 100 miles when got home with regen. It wouldn't be much different if she deactivated regen and used friction brakes for the whole 100 mile ride.
I understand that going to and from work she could not be exactly the same throttle so it would be impossible to compare. But in general terms, it does not "add back about ten percent" or some measurable meaningful number?

No hills of any kind here in Northern Illinois......but plenty of bad chemicals for ice melt.

Coo

gridley1950 | 31. heinäkuu 2019

I added 10k to my range just coming down from a local ski hill. Thought that was pretty good!

The results will depend on driving style. Late brakers who shed a lot of kinetic energy with their brakes are much less efficient than those who anticipate their stops and begin coasting in anticipation. If you’re on the highway, you’ll see much less variability compared to stop and go traffic.

CooHead | 31. heinäkuu 2019

Yep, all makes sense

diamonds2 | 31. heinäkuu 2019

When I first got my June 2017 MS P100D, I didn't use the regen braking for the first 2 months.After activating and setting on Standard, I observed the Wh/mile used on my daily commute to be ~15% less.

diamonds2 | 31. heinäkuu 2019

Edit to above post: June 2017 MS 100D (No "P")

GH-Florida | 31. heinäkuu 2019

diamonds2's comment above seems reasonable in light of a YT video I watched recently. A guy drove his car up some small mountain somewhere and noted the drop in range. He then drove down the mountain using regen, and regained about 25% of the range he'd lost going up. I think this was in a Model 3.

I believe, therefore, that regen is certainly much more than window dressing, all while acknowledging that driving up and down mountains doesn't match the average daily commute.

NCC1701S | 31. heinäkuu 2019

One article that I saw many years back estimated that if the car used "x" amount of energy to climb up a mountainous road, coming back down that same road, with regen on, would return approximately 80% of "x".

PrescottRichard | 31. heinäkuu 2019
DanFoster1 | 31. heinäkuu 2019

Every time you use regenerative braking, it adds infinitely more charge to the batteries than friction brakes ever added back to the fuel tank in the entire history of motoring ;-)

Simple physics. Any car can coast down a mountain and use no energy. Regen can generate energy. I’ve gained 22 miles coming down a mountain. On the flats, though, regen is fairly marginal unless you’re stopping a lot.

tes-s | 01. elokuu 2019

My sugestion is don't explain how best to drive the car to maximize efficiency/regen to your wife.