Forums

Dashcam icon gone while driving with 2019.32.2.2 da05838 firmware.

Dashcam icon gone while driving with 2019.32.2.2 da05838 firmware.

Installed the 2019.32.2.2 da05838 firmware last night and did not notice immediately. This morning I don't see dashcam icon on display. However when I hit park(P), the icon shows up and I can turn on sentry mode by pressing it.. anyone has same issue?

gmr6415 | 17. syyskuu 2019

Did you do a reboot after your update? Getting in the habit of doing both a scroll wheel reboot and a power down reboot after updates takes care of 99% of the glitches people report here as a result of an update.

EVRider | 17. syyskuu 2019

Check your USB and make sure it’s not full and there’s nothing wrong with it. You can enable Sentry Mode without a USB so that doesn’t mean anything.

JPPTM | 17. syyskuu 2019

Also maybe remove and reinsert your USB drive.

pjwheeler83 | 17. syyskuu 2019

I just recieved 32.2.2 and my dashcam icons are still present and functional

gmr6415 | 18. syyskuu 2019

@pjwheeler83, Same here, but I also did my normal scroll wheel reboot and then a 4 minute power down after the update completed as I always do.

Techy James | 18. syyskuu 2019

@gmr6415 what is purpose of the 4 minute power down? I understand the difference in the soft reboot (two scroll wheel held down together) and the restart (Two scroll wheel while holding brake peddle). I thought the only reason for the power down was if you needed to service the battery.

EVRider | 18. syyskuu 2019

@Techy James: Service sometimes recommends the power off method, but to be honest, I don’t know if there’s really any difference between any of the reboot methods. It’s possible there were differences at one point in time (and maybe just for Model S/X) but not now, but how would anyone really know? I only use the scroll wheel reboot.

gmr6415 | 18. syyskuu 2019

@Techy James, Early on after picking up my M3 I was having some issues that the scroll wheel reboot, neither with or without holding down the brake pedal, wouldn't resolve. I can't remember what the issues were.

I called the local service center, and I was told (I don't know this to be completely true, just going by what I was told) that the scroll wheel reboot only reboots the computer that controls the touchscreen and the functions that it controls (whatever those are), and that a power down forced a reboot of the main computer that controls all other functions. I believe one of the many acronyms for that computer is the ADAS.

Under the service & safety menu you will find the power down icon. Once you tap on it you will hear the car go through a series of (I'm assuming) shut down functions that take about two minutes. I've heard certain noises through the third minute too; although, not always.

I was instructed that after 3 minutes to step on the brake pedal to restart the car. I go the extra 4th minute just to be sure.

This procedure did fix whatever my problem was that prompted me to call the SC within a few days after picking up my car. Again, I can't remember what that was.

From then on every time a get an update the first thing I do is the scroll wheel reboot while holding down the brake pedal and then a power down.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I see a lot of "after update glitches" reported here that I just simply don't get.

If you think about it most any computer update for your home computer either automatically reboots the computer or requests that you reboot the computer. That's my reasoning behind going through the reboots after an update.

I may be completely wrong. I don't know that part of the update process itself doesn't perform a reboot. All I know is that I've been almost religious about going through the reboot and power down the whole time I've owned the car, and as I said above I don't seem to have many of the glitches (those that don't require a patch from Tesla) others report after an update.

Tyerc | 18. syyskuu 2019

My camera icon is where it always has been, update installed.

TeslaTap.com | 18. syyskuu 2019

@stopnair - I doubt it has anything to do with the update, but one never knows! Likely issues:

1) Drive is full - in which case no dashcam operation.

2) Drive has died from overwrites - they don't last forever, and the smaller the drive the shorter the life.

3) Drive had died from an improper power down. This is less likely, but if you just pull the drive without first turning off the dashcam while it is writing video, the drive can be perminately damaged. Some drives are more tolerant that others. If you find the drive has become read-only, it's likely due to this situation and is rarely recoverable.

DarthB | 18. syyskuu 2019

Thanks. Will try a reboot. But the way recording works is it should overwrite oldest videos if it is full, right? So technically you never need to empty the drive on a regular basis?

TeslaTap.com | 18. syyskuu 2019

@DarthB - No, only the dashcam video overwrites the oldest video. Sentry mode and any manual saves you make moves video files to the saved folder and is never overwritten. Sentry mode can write a lot of files and can consume 32 GB in a few days, depending on the number of triggers. Once full, all dashcam/Sentry mode videos stop recording.

Reports are that V10 will also overwrite the saved folder's oldest files so that it never stops recording.

HRZTCRK | 19. lokakuu 2019

Same problem here. Dashcam stopped working right after I updated my Model 3 from 2019.32.2.1 to 2019.32.2.2. The USB card reader (SANDISK MobileMate USB 3.0 + 128 GB KINGSTON High Endurance Micro SDXC) has been correctly ejected and unplugged before performing the update. After plugging the card reader in again no dashcam icon appeared anymore. I already tried reformatting the SD card as well as rebooting the car. The problem is still present which also makes sentry mode useless without recording.

jjgunn | 19. lokakuu 2019

I'm assuming the USB drive is NOT full.

If so, try the other front USB port. I've found this to work 100% of the time.

HRZTCRK | 19. lokakuu 2019

That's correct. The SD card is empty except for the "TeslaCam" folder. It's formatted as FAT32 and is readable/writable on my Linux computer and my MacBook. So it's not damaged or something.

Switching between the two front ports didn't solve the problem.

Just for clarification I was talking about version 2019.32.12.2 (copied typo from the thread title).

Hp.1193 | 19. lokakuu 2019

Hate when ppl post threads asking for answers and then disappear. This post is from 9/16 ..

Hp.1193 | 19. lokakuu 2019

Also “However when I hit park(P), the icon shows up and I can turn on sentry mode by pressing it” is very confusing. OP is asking about dashcam but then confuses it with the sentry mode icon? Sentry mode icon disappears when the car is not in park regardless, but dashcam icon is always there ..