Forums

How to supercharge with a bike rack or trailer?

How to supercharge with a bike rack or trailer?

So, it might be a premature question but I’m planning to get a bike rack installed to haul the kids bikes (my wife and I use the seasucker racks for our road bikes). Just coming back from superchargers in QC and noted how short the connectors are.

I was planning to buy a Model Y and have an attached trailer or trailer tent for camping with kids and was wondering what is the easiest way to supercharge on long trips with a trailer tent?

If anybody have previous experiences with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

CharleyBC | 11. lokakuu 2019

That's a fair question. I know some Model X folks unhitch their trailer to Supercharge. It'd be a pain to remove the bikes and rack.

I also think it'll depend on the geometry at the particular Supercharger. Some have forward pull-in stalls, so you're fine there. At many, the Supercharger tower is kinda beside the back corner of the car, so you might be able to back in such that the bike rack passes above the curb and beside the tower, and you can still get as far back as you need. Others you may be hosed.

lilbean | 11. lokakuu 2019

I’ve charged the X with the rack folded. You would have to remove the bikes and fold up the rack for the cable to reach.

Maxxer | 11. lokakuu 2019

For a 1800 miles trip to Florida that sounds like irritating

surfpearl | 11. lokakuu 2019

No experience with this, but if there are no pull-through or nose-first stalls you'll have to parallel park and occupy 2 or 3 stalls while charging. May have to wait for some charging cars to leave in order to clear the path for you.
Another option would be to contact Tesla with your query and ask if they can make you a special extension cord for this purpose.

jrzapata | 11. lokakuu 2019

I’ve supercharged in 3 different places with 3 adult road bikes on my model 3’s hitch
Hitch: https://torkliftcentral.com/2018-tesla-model-3-hitch
Rack: https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/bike-racks/

Earl and Nagin ... | 12. lokakuu 2019

I've seen an MX charging at a back-in SC with one mountain bike on a hitch rack. She backed in carefully, coming very close to the charger and got it to work.
I also saw a MS with a trailer charging at a pull-in SC. He was blocking several stalls since he just pulled up next to them. Fortunately, there was nobody else charging at the time.
Many SC locations seem to have one stall that is pull in. Perhaps that is to facilitate trailers, hitch racks, or maybe they're just for those who aren't comfortable backing in.

FISHEV | 12. lokakuu 2019

Hopefully Tesla will go to the more practical and universal front charger port.

kevin_rf | 12. lokakuu 2019

Earl, I think the single pull in stall is usually labeled handicap. At least the few I have seen have been.

Since the SC's always seem to be in parking lots, unhooking seems like the best, but most annoying way to go. Hopefully they have this solves when the pickup rolls out.

gmr6415 | 12. lokakuu 2019

I know it's not much help, but I have run into a few superchargers with at least one stall that you pull into instead of back into.

Rutrow 3 | 12. lokakuu 2019

Many (certainly not all) stations have a couple of nose in spots on the ends, that are good for vehicles with racks, but not necessarily ideal for ones with trailers. I've often seen cars without either using those spots but have never seen any with signage suggesting people who don't NEED them keep them free for those who might. I'd like to Tesla begin an information campaign with signs, videos, owners manual mentions, and could even program the car to gently chastize you if it knows you've pulled into one of those slots when you don't have a rack or trailer (the cameras could tell)

This isn't important to my family now since neither of our Teslas have hithches, but I plan on it being a problem in three years when I buy my Tesla pickup to haul my 5th wheel RV around the country. Unhooking a small trailer at every charge stop would be a minor inconvience, but disconnecting a large trailer at what I'm betting will be rather short distances between S/Cs (trailer hauling will have a significant impact on range) will be a major hassle. Hopefully the Pickup will be able to charge at MegaChargers along side the Semi stalls, but I'd like the flexiblity to use regular charger locations in some strategic locals. Having trailers and racks in mind when designing S/C stations will be helpful in the future.

Now this has gotten me to thinking... What if my trailer also has a Tesla battery (or PowerWall)? There may someday be a need for chargers with long stalls and two chargers positioned to charge tow vehicle and trailer packs simultaneously. Oh I can't wait for retirement!!! Life is gonna be awesome.

hokiegir1 | 12. lokakuu 2019

We have a hitch with 2 bikes and had no problems supercharging at a back-in spot.

Earl and Nagin ... | 12. lokakuu 2019

@kevin_rf,
Sometimes that is the case, especially when codes mandate certain # of handicapped spaces. Most times, in my experience, they are for anyone. Sometimes all spaces are straight-in.

apodbdrs | 13. lokakuu 2019

I met a couple charging their driving a Model X with a Rec trailer, outside Tucson, Arizona on their way to Michigan. Since only two of the eight chargers were being used they were charging their car at an angle where the charge cable could reach the car. They told me they unhitch the trailer to charge the car if their is chance they will interfere with others charging. He said, the Model X can be adjusted for the trailer, so it is very convenient.

FISHEV | 13. lokakuu 2019

"I think the single pull in stall is usually labeled handicap."@kevin_rtf

The only pull in stall in Vancouver WA is not handicapped and a handicapped person could not use it as it puts you next to the curb on drivers side and handicaped person would have more difficulty getting out and then the cable traps on top of the large loose stone surface they have to navigate on.

And to this topic of trailers, even a full bike rike, would block at least one other charger and a trailer would block two to three more chargers.

The pull throughs in Seaside would work sort of, a trailer would block one other charger but it is problematic a car and trailer could get to them in a full parking lot.

A charger extension cable would be the way to go so the car could pull in nose first and the cable would reach to the side port. In all our SC's that would still be a problem due to the trailer blocking driving lanes in the parking lot.

For trailers, just unhitch. These are 5,000# max so easy to hitch and unhitch. For the bike rack or wheel chair holders in the rear, the extension cord from Tesla would do the trick.

Front end charge port solves all of this so that is the way to go. I think Musk only put the charge port on the rear as a joke on gasoline cars.

Magic 8 Ball | 13. lokakuu 2019

Backing in is safer.

"Backing in is safer."@M8B

Nope. Damage to SC stalls is so prevalent from people backing into them that Tesla is adding curbs in front of the curbs to stop the damage. No one likes it and, as we see with this topic, it creates other problems though fairly minor as only the X can tow so far in US so the charging with trailer is very small population.

AAA, a large insurance company, says backing in is safer. Your opinion and observation on the matter is wrong, as usual.

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/132822/aaa-warns-against-pull-forward-p...

That explains the busted charger stalls and extra curbs being installed.

And it's not that backing in is safer PARKING, it's not. The idea is that pulling out is safer though the evidence is the opposite.

AAA knows much more than you about the topic.

"AAA knows much more than you about the topic."@M8B

Which explains why they put so much emphasis or rear cross track warning...Tesla doesnt' have it.

As we know, 90% of all parking is nose in, faster safer parking and why CTW was created to help with pulling.

Do you back into your garage?

You did not read the article. The reason they recommend backing in is so that you don't have to rely on an unreliable device to perform a task.

AAA tested rear cross-traffic alert systems designed to alert drivers to traffic passing behind a reversing vehicle. Researchers found that significant system limitations exist when a car is parked between larger vehicles, such as SUVs or minivans.

"In this common parking lot scenario, AAA said, the tested systems failed to detect pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcycles and other vehicles at alarming rates:

A passing motorcycle was not detected by the systems in 48 percent of tests.
The systems failed to detect a bicycle passing behind the vehicle 40 percent of the time.
The systems failed to detect a passing vehicle 30 percent of the time.
While not all systems are designed to detect pedestrians, the technology failed to detect pedestrians 60 percent of the time."

So you don't back into your garage. No one is backing in at the mall. No on is backing in at the airport. Amazing.

To this point, the damage to the Tesla chargers and the Teslas is so great from back in charging they are forced to install second curbs...called facts on the ground.

Good reason for Tesla to install proven safe feature of Rear Cross Track Warning.

Again, you did not read the article. Becoming dependent on an undependable system is not better than backing in which is why AAA recommends backing in. AAA knows better than you.

"you did not read the article"M8B

Too busy counting all the back in parkers at the shopping center parking lot at the VC SC.

Zero.

People are slow to adopt safer methods, especially when faced with liars trying to suppress the truth.

"People are slow to adopt safer methods"@M8B

And to reject impractical ones.

But this is about charging and the FACT that Tesla chargers are being damaged by the harder to do back in parking and having to put in additional curbing to counter the problem of back in parking at chargers.

This thread is about another practical aspect of people with bike racks being a problem at the SC;s.

AAA knows backing into a parking spot is safer. There is nothing impractical about it, I and others do it many times. Things get damaged by cars, crap happens, nothing special about a supercharger being a stationary object just like a parked car (which get hit many times but could be avoided more often if people would back into parking spots).

"There is nothing impractical about it"@M8B

Broken chargers and extra curbs needed is the real world on the subject. An expense Tesla would have saved had it gone to the more practical, front charging port.

Wonder how bad it damaged the cars? Those sensors in the bumper are fragile and expensive to fix.

You have no evidence to support your opinion, in the meantime experts on the matter (AAA insurance) maintain backing into a parking spot is safer. It makes perfect sense to have the charging port in the rear to encourage the safer practice of backing into a parking spot.

"You have no evidence to support your opinion"@M8B

Well watching them fix the broken charger nacelles and put in the curbs at the Woodburn SC seemed proof enough. Have @Bighorn takes pix on one his midnight charges.

No one doubts accidents happen. You have no proof they would be reduced by putting ports on front. AAA says backing in is safer.

"AAA says backing in is safer."@M8B

Nope. They say the more dangerous and harder to do back in parking makes PULLING OUT safer. Backing in still has it's issues. It's why people just don't do it.

But this topic is about the back in charging creating problems for people with bike racks and trailers backing into chargers and cords not reaching, the damaged SC's nacelles and the additional curb fixes are just another reason the front end charge port is a better design.

AAA says backing into a parking spot is safer which was the point of the article.

dkabq | 13. lokakuu 2019

@Maxxer If you can't reach the port with the rack in place, It is not a bad idea to use the satellite(or street level) view on the map to see if the superchargers on your route have drive in stalls, my local supercharger has four drive in and two back in stalls(visible from the satellite view-although you have to look closely). I have also seen Tesla owners use the last back in stall(as not to block other stalls - right most stall in this case) and angle in from the side when there were obstacles although this still might block a stall or other parking spot, in city charging this would be more of an issue but that doesn't seem to be your situation(on a trip).

Maybe a future version on the detail info(or trip planner) idetifying superchargers will give information on "drive in", "back in" or "drive through" stalls. this will always be a question for folks with trailers.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 13. lokakuu 2019

Spatial visualization, depth perception, Petaminoes, Rubik, Testris...

I would like to see more 'Pull Through' Supercharger stalls, so people don't feel they have to disconnect a trailer to use them. Of course, I never tow anything or use a roof rack. If it doesn't fit in the car? It ain't goin'!

Shesmyne2 | 13. lokakuu 2019

In the early days most SCs were pull throughs.
I think the majority has shifted. So much so that on a recent road trip I backed in to charge-only to realize
it was a pull through. D’oh!
While I can see why it could be an issue w/trailers/racks etc I have seen a number of ‘creative’
ways people have made it work. Kudos. I’m not that good with no attachments! Getting better.

And on the point of backing out/pulling in parking spots; there are often signs for ‘Backing in only’ vs
‘Head in parking only’ in certain lots.
And I think the point of AAA (who has all my insurance for most of my insured life) isn’t in the backing in, but the pulling out that is the safety point. Better visuals.

Still Grinning ;-)

Yes, pulling out is the safety point and to pull out of most spots you have to back into them first (acknowledged in the article). Pulling through so you can pull out is safest followed by backing in so you can pull out and the least safe is pulling in to set yourself up to have to back out.

"I think the majority has shifted."@Shesmyne2

And for an interesting reason...it costs a lot less. The wire and trenching needed for the several rows vs. a single line for those at the curb.

Tesla just needs to sell a charger extension cord for those with hitch items that keep them too far from the charger.

Shesmyne2 | 13. lokakuu 2019

Thx FISH
Good points.

Still Grinning ;-)