Forums

Official... Tesla cyber truck pick-up unveiling Nov 21st!

Official... Tesla cyber truck pick-up unveiling Nov 21st!

Wanna go on record of what you think or hope will be a feature? I think vehicle to home backup/ vehicle to vehicle charging

Tropopause | 06. marraskuu 2019

November 21 is official?

Bighorn | 06. marraskuu 2019

Yes

jimglas | 06. marraskuu 2019

is the rumor of 2 pickup models real. Cyber and traditional?

SamO | 06. marraskuu 2019

All Plus 1 will be accepted

TeslaTap.com | 06. marraskuu 2019

@jimglas - Doubtful, but who knows. A poster started that rumor as a hope.

TranzNDance | 06. marraskuu 2019

Cab that can fit a family of four.
Be able to tow a travel trailer

thranx | 06. marraskuu 2019

Built-in panel with 110 and 220 outlets able to draw on the main battery.

TSLC | 06. marraskuu 2019

...this is what we really are waiting for to determine "upgrading".

carlk | 06. marraskuu 2019
acegreat1 | 07. marraskuu 2019

@thranx, I'm hoping for that.

Mark K | 07. marraskuu 2019

Let Rivian cover the classical styling segment.

The pickup is about to get fundamentally reinvented.

Tesla’s new design will become the iconic form of this new segment.

People who don’t even buy trucks will start buying them because of this truck.

And long time truck buyers will discover they can now get more function and lower operating cost with Tesla’s new technology.

This is already happening with the semi preorders. They’re ordering it because the economics can’t be matched by diesel.

I think it will less be than 2 years to production. It builds on model 3 parts and know-how.

My guess is summer 2021. That would very cool.

It is exactly what will force Ford and GM to get serious about EVs.

jordanrichard | 08. marraskuu 2019

Just where will they build this truck? I mean, soon there will be 4 models being built at Fremont, the S, X, 3 and Y. Then there is the Semi.....

PhillyGal | 08. marraskuu 2019

For someone who doesn't need to own a pickup truck I seriously can't believe how excited I am about this.
I too would jump at the chance to be anyone's plus 1 to the event :)

As for features, I want to a way to haul a trailer AND charge conveniently while hauling, if for no reason than to shut my brother up. (He makes a good point that there's no way he can navigate most charger-having parking lots while towing his travel trailer.)

Love love love @acegreat's idea about acting as a home backup.

acegreat1 | 08. marraskuu 2019

+1000 @phillygal.
I always said I would drive my 2015 70D model S til the wheels fall off. But depending on the specifications of the pick up, I I'm willing to upgrade. We shale see

SamO | 08. marraskuu 2019

I've never considered getting a pickup. Until now. I am DEFINITELY putting down a deposit.

Bighorn | 08. marraskuu 2019

@SamO
Am I losing my parking spot?:)

TranzNDance | 08. marraskuu 2019

That's Tesla expanding the pie, the way they got people to spend over $50k on a car when they otherwise would not do. Many people are considering the Tesla pickup when they wouldn't have considered a conventional one before.

jjs | 08. marraskuu 2019

I do own a truck. It is getting quite a few miles on it. My wife wants me to trade it in for a new/newer one. I will, once Tesla makes a truck. Just waiting.

acegreat1 | 08. marraskuu 2019

Jjs.......... Soon

Ross1 | 08. marraskuu 2019

I guess people are sitting on the fence, and if they dont like the Cyber they will order Rivian.
And Rivian is not a public company :(

Bighorn | 08. marraskuu 2019

Rivian showed today and I just can't love those headlights. I should probably take more than a glance at the pics. I can't imagine them being able to scale faster than Tesla, this being their first vehicle.

Mark K | 08. marraskuu 2019

BH - the imminent risk of competition is why Rivian took the amazon delivery van deal as part of amazon’s investment.

They won’t be making much margin on those vans - essentially a profitless sale, but it will help them get some initial scale.

While I think Rivian actually has done some cool engineering with their 4 motor architecture, the truck itself is too old school for my taste. And those headlights are the face only a mother could love.

Because Rivian does not have in-house battery technology and fab, it will be very hard for them to match what Tesla can offer in the truck segment.

More viable BEV manufacturers is a good thing, and I hope the best for Rivian. But I don’t see how they will overcome Tesla’s advantages to achieve significant volume.

I think Tesla’s dramatic new styling paradigm will likely steal the spotlight from Rivian, and make the current truck styling look old.

jordanrichard | 09. marraskuu 2019

In all of the news and videos about the Rivian, no interviewer asks them how are these vehicles to be sold, where will they be serviced and the most important question/subject, charging. It is almost as if the interviewers are told to not ask about it. It is one of the most important questions for an EV and yet, it never comes up. Range, yes, but hot where these are to be charged. Will it have DC fast charging, will it use the CSS standard, etc. etc.

SamO | 09. marraskuu 2019

@bighorn,

Never. I expect you be able to use the cyber truck lift gate to park in the truck bed.

;-)

carlk | 10. marraskuu 2019

For the life of me I can't get why Amazon wants Rivian that has zero EV production experience to build those vehicle for them. There are many established company from Nissan to Hyundai to GM that should be very interested in taking the project. I'm sure Bezos wants to have his hands on the EV business and sees Rivian will have to sell the company to him as the best case scenario. He needs to admit he has a good amount of Elon envy in his blood.

Tropopause | 10. marraskuu 2019

^^^^
True.

Madatgascar | 10. marraskuu 2019

If I buy yet another Tesla, it might have to BE my backup home

acegreat1 | 11. marraskuu 2019

@madatgascar, BEcause?

Bighorn | 11. marraskuu 2019

$$$ or spouse are my guesses.

Bighorn | 11. marraskuu 2019

@SamO
Phew!

jordanrichard | 11. marraskuu 2019

Carlk, while I agree with your question, the same could be said about the orders for Tesla’s semi. What experience does Tesla have in building semis? Though I can only imagine that Tesla will outsource bare cabs, frames/wheels and then handle everything else.

Tropopause | 11. marraskuu 2019

Put a camper shell on the truck and plug in your TV.

acegreat1 | 11. marraskuu 2019

^^^^ this

carlk | 12. marraskuu 2019

jordan Didn't Tesla design the Model S from the ground up? Tesla's design strength has always been it's willing to start from a clean sheet of paper and follow the first principle of engineering design instead of needing to consider what are already out there and what are in the parts bins. That's something no other company is capable of doing. Elon learned a lesson to be more conservative with Model Y but he wouldn't be doing that if resource was not the object. Pickup is a brand new game we'll will see how radical he wants it to be designed. My guess is the design, not just looks, will be very unconventional.

carlk | 12. marraskuu 2019

jordan Didn't Tesla design the Model S from the ground up? Tesla's design strength has always been it's willing to start from a clean sheet of paper and follow the first principle of engineering design instead of needing to consider what are already out there and what are in the parts bins. That's something no other company is capable of doing. Elon learned a lesson to be more conservative with Model Y but he wouldn't be doing that if resource was not the object. Pickup is a brand new game we'll will see how radical he wants it to be designed. My guess is the design, not just looks, will be very unconventional.

jordanrichard | 12. marraskuu 2019

carlk, yes but due to the immense weight on a fully loaded trailer, the frame needs to be beefier than a unibody. So that is why I think Tesla would outsource the chassis of a semi, which actually that is what the existing truck companies like Peterbuilt, do. What shows up at their plants is the ladder frame from a supplier, then they attach everything else to it.

Ross1 | 13. marraskuu 2019

Possibly the Event of the Century. At least so far.
What future event could possibly outstage this one?

acegreat1 | 14. marraskuu 2019

@Ross1, personal rocket transport. Like "citi bike" in New York. But with rockets

acegreat1 | 16. marraskuu 2019

In the invite picture, the head light (one long continuous beam) looks like nothing I have seen before. Who's going?

In the invite picture, the head light (one long continuous beam) looks like nothing I have seen before. Who's going?

Bighorn | 16. marraskuu 2019

@ace
I've seen aftermarket light bars on trucks. They are blinding. I had a hard time deciphering the picture. At first, I thought I was looking at a light beam, not a physical light.

I seen the after market light bars as well, I even seen one on a model s mounted on the roof rack. A Ford f-150 had one facing the rear (maybe to blind the person behind them). I feel from both pictures it's going to run along the front the from blinker to blinker