Forums

I just put down my order fee!

I just put down my order fee!

Evening all,

I'm excited and I'm nervous about what I just did. I just put down $100 for a used Tesla Model S 90D. One thing I failed to check before clicking on "BUY" was to verify if the car was going to be transferred from another state. I'm reviewing what I owe, and currently I read the following;

Pricing Details
Car Price $50,400.00
Taxes & Fees $5,089.95
Sales Tax $4,410.00
License Fee $326.95
Electronic Filing Fee $30.00
Registration/Transfer/Titling Fees $323.00
Payment 11/12/2019 -$100.00
Amount Due
$55,389.95

Does "Transfer" above pertain to the transfer fee from a different location? I read only $323. If this vehicle was being transferred from another state, would I have seen the $2000 charge in this section? Also, in the event that I decide that I don't want to take ownership of the car for whatever reasons, what do I lose in the process other than the car and my $100 order fee? Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

murphyS90D | 13. marraskuu 2019

Transfer is the title transfer fee.

Anthony J. Parisio | 13. marraskuu 2019

murphyS90D + 1 It refers to transfer of ownership.

TSLC | 13. marraskuu 2019

Awesome! Tell us about it; features, options, mileage?

agonz73 | 13. marraskuu 2019

Thanks for responding all. It appears there is a separate $2K fee that is not listed here for transportation. Below are the specs. I feel that I got a great deal for all the options listed. Thoughts? Also, does anyone know what the general time-frame is from the point you place your $100 deposit to taking delivery. This is shipping from Atlanta, GA. Thanks!

Model S - 90D

Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
Sunroof
21" Grey Turbine Wheels
Grey Next Generation Seats
Carbon Fiber Décor
Black Headliner
Power and Ligh1ng Package
Autopilot with convenience features
Premium Upgrades Package
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound

Subtotal $50,300
Order Fee $100

Total $50,400

EVRider | 13. marraskuu 2019

If you don’t see a $2,000 transportation charge, I guess the car is local.

EVRider | 13. marraskuu 2019

Sorry, I just now noticed you said the car is shipping from Atlanta. Where are you?

Also, you still haven’t said what the mileage is.

TSLC | 13. marraskuu 2019

Looks well equipped, we don't know the year or mileage so hard to determine. Is this an AP1 or 2 equipped vehicle?

TeslaTap.com | 13. marraskuu 2019

Congrats, and I expect you're going to love the car!

If ordered from Tesla, it likely comes with a 2-year warranty as well.

The 90D was made from Aug-2015 to Jun-2017, so depending on the exact date, it may be pre-refresh, post refresh and may have AP1 or AP2. Here's more details on timelines: https://teslatap.com/articles/timelines-for-vehicles-and-variants/

agonz73 | 13. marraskuu 2019

Im a clutz, I forgot the rest of the details....

2016 90D - 05/16 43K+ miles, 4yr ext war.

Your vehicle comes with Autopilot with Convenience Features: Enables traffic aware cruise control, summon forwards and backwards, automatic lane keep, collision avoidance, and automatic lane change upon signal. This version of Autopilot cannot be upgraded to Full Self Driving

Your vehicle comes with a 4 year/50k mile warranty starting fresh from the day of delivery. You will also receive the remainder of 8 year/unlimited mile battery and drivetrain warranty valid through 05/20/2024”

Tropopause | 13. marraskuu 2019

Great warranty!

Congrats!

agonz73 | 14. marraskuu 2019

Thank you, its coming from Atlanta, and I'm in California (Bay Area). I'm nervous because I didn't realize this was located out of state and would incur a $2K fee until after I placed my $100 deposit. So, I have to come up with another 2K before it arrives. At this point, I'm hoping it takes a few weeks to a month hahaha dang it! I've read previous comments that it usually takes about 2-4 weeks. I hope this is my case. Is Tesla flexible in anyway to come up with the remaining cash if not all is available at scheduled pick up date?

Wilber | 14. marraskuu 2019

agonz73 - I took delivery of a used S85 from Tesla four weeks ago. As it turns out the prior owner was a smoker and the car interior and the HVAC has a nasty stale smell. when i picked it up it was a cool morning and i noticed a slight stale smell in the interior, but figured it was just becuase the car had sat for a month with windows closed, and it would go away. I was wrong! Once the car got warmed up in the sun the smell got much stronger and then turning on the HVAC i got a blast of nasty stale smell! I have been working with local SC to try to clean it up, but they will only do one tiny thing at a time instead of a proper full cleaning like a detailer would do. Very frustrating!
I had done research before selecting a car about buying a used MS on this forum and TMC and there are some good threads. It seems the biggest fear is buying a stinky smokers car! So, i emailed my Tesla contact and he assured me that Tesla does not sell cars with 'smoke damage", so i relied on that and went ahead with looking for a car and selected one. Once i realized it was a smokers car i emailed the Tesla contact about returning the car to Tesla, and his response was equivalent to "tough - you got the car, we got your money, deal done'. So, when you pick up your car do a very careful inspection and take an hour to do it! dont let them rush you! Also, I assume Tesla has sent you the set of photos of the car you ordered. Are you aware you can zoom in on those and look closely for signs of damage? Caveat Emptor!

Tldickerson | 14. marraskuu 2019

@Wilber , you can try and do what car detailers did years ago and it does work. Buy a can of coffee and take the lid off. Put it on the floor by the back seat for a few days, maybe take a little longer. The coffee will absorb the odor in time.

Tl dickerson - I appreciate you trying to help, but i have been doing research on this and the threads even include replies from professional detailers who have dealt with this problem. Your solution will do nothing for smell coming from HVAC pipes and is a mild temporary kind of fix for the interior surfaces. To summarize what the highlghts of what detailers do: 1. thorugh cleaning of all surfaces, especially the headliner, carpet and seats. 2. ozone treatment for about 2 hours with HVAC on set on recirc. 3. chlorine dioxide treatment for about 4 hours. And this and a few other steps gets about 80% if the smell out. then it takes about 2 years for the smell to finally disappear.
The local SC has done step 2 only, and i doubt i can get them to do the other two, but hoping i am wrong about that!

@Wilber First of all, I'm so sorry to hear you're going through so much effort to remove that problem. I hope things finally work out for you. I can't express how much I appreciate your feedback. This is something I didn't even consider or think about. I'm wondering what would have happened had you decided to decline the car from the get go? Would you have lost the $2K for shipping, and whatever deposit you put down at the time? My purchase anxiety is up the roof right now because I'm about to put down $50K+ cash on a car that I haven't seen or test drived, and if the car doesn't meet my standards because I'm not just going to settle because $50K doesn't grow on trees. Any feedback from anyone is greatly appreciated!

agonz -Sorry to get you stressed out, but I think if you do a real good inspection you should be OK. the car i bought was a local bay area car, so the $2k fee wasnt involved. My understanding is that if you reject the car at delivery, Tesla will return your $2500 deposit. I actually first put down a deposit on a car in New York, where the 2k fee would be involved. But after i gave them the deposit they sent me a link to lots of photos. And looking closely at those (with zoom) revealed a bunch of dents, and dirty/wornout looking stuff. so, i canceled that order and they refunded the $2500 on my credit card. here are a couple threads: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tesla-70-point-inspection.140913/ https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/getting-rid-of-cigarette-smoke.1... https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/cpo-issue-2016-model-s90d.165488/ https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-2013-with-100-000-miles.13...

Uncle Paul | 14. marraskuu 2019

Buying a used car always has more unknowns than when buying new. That is one of the reasons they usually cost less.

@Wilber I will definitely take my time during the inspection before I give away my hard earned money. Any tips what I should be looking out for in this particular year/model 2016 90D/Model S? I wonder if they will still reimburse the $2K shipping fee after it has already been delivered to Fremont and I refuse ownership for whatever reason?

@Uncle Paul Aint that the truth! Even at a used car lot, you never know what lies underneath the hood and what sort of problems you'll inherit later down the road. That's why I opted to go through Tesla's used inventory for their warranty.

agonz - As for the 2k refund. you should ask the tesla rep that emailed you the photos. I dont know of anything in particular about a 2106 90D. Others may. I would suggest you look at the 70 point checklist in my first link, and adjust it for your own purposes. And, bring a hardcopy of it with you. I put my checklist in an email to myself and then used my smartphone to review it at the delivery center. BUT, somehow i accidently deleted the email part way thru! Wish i had brought hardcopy!!

@Wilber Awesome, will do. Thank you for your support, I greatly appreciate it! I will review the links when I get home this evening. Perhaps my purchase anxiety will simmer down a bit. lol

/cheers!

I should mention one more thing about bad smells in cars, like tobacco or food or whatever. When a car is relatively cool the smell is not much. But, if the car gets warm - like sitting in the afternoon sun on a 75 degree day with windows closed, any bad smell is about 4 times stronger than when the car is cool. When i picked up my car it was in the morning and parked in shade. only smelled a faint smell. The next day when parked in sun at 75 degrees the smell was overpowering! I think if you just bring a checklist and take your time to checkout the car all should work out fine. Good luck!

TonyB.C120 | 14. marraskuu 2019

Congrats on the soon-to-be purchase. I'm in the same position as you, agonz73. A 2016 90D will be arriving at my local SC in less than a week. It is also coming with the 4-year/50K bumper-to-bumper warranty and five years left on the battery and drive units. It's as follows:

90D
Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
Model S Long Range
Titanium Metallic Paint
Sunroof
19" Silver Slipstream Wheels
Tan Next Generation Seats
Glossy Obeche Wood Décor
Black Headliner
Power and Lighting Package
Autopilot with convenience features (I assume that's AP1)
Premium Upgrades Package
Smart Air Suspension
Subzero Weather Package

It's build date is Feb. '16 and it has 24K miles on it. It is coming from NJ to MN so I also will need the $2K in addition to the down payment and other fees.

I'm going with a certified check that I won't hand over until I've gone over the car and it's passes both a road and a smell test.

What made me buy it from Tesla was (1) selection (wanted 90D, clean history, subzero, tan interior, titanium color), (2) warranty, and (3) price. On #3, dealers and private sales were all the same price or more, plus I couldn't get the features, and they don't come with the warranty. Also, this car is coming off a lease which means the owner may have been more careful so as to not get dinged at turn-back time.

The electrician comes on Monday to put the NEMA 14-50 in the garage and we pick up the car on Wednesday. (Also, my employer has free charging with a J-1772!)

Thanks to all for the checklists and advice above.

Tony

Wilber | 15. marraskuu 2019

Congrats TonyB - Looks like a very nice car! Just a couple comments. 1. Gee, i didnt think test drives were allowed at delivery. Of course, a test drive is an excellent idea! So, maybe i am wrong about not being able to do a test drive. 2. The only downside to leased cars is that the first owner (lessee) could have felt free to abuse the battery. That is, charge to 100% frequently. As you know, this leads to accelerated battery degradation over time. So, the next owner is the one to worry about it. So, you might take a close look at the GOM (Guess -O -Meter) that shows range in miles or %. Altho that is just a rough check. Good luck!

TonyB.C120 | 16. marraskuu 2019

Thanks, Wilber. And thanks for your comments and hints above.