Forums

My Model 3 went into “car unable to drive” during reverse

My Model 3 went into “car unable to drive” during reverse

Hi,

Anyone had this happen?

1. Put the car in reverse
2. Reversed down my down-sloped driveway
3. Stopped at the end of the driveway to look for oncoming traffic
4. As I’m coming to a full stop ( HOLD MODE on) the car suddenly pops forward a bit, while it was still in reverse — car is now fully stopped
5. Error pops up saying “car unable to drive”
6. Couldn’t select drive or reverse, car wouldn’t move
7. Reboot the car — no dice
8. Reboot car again, got out of the car. Car locks and I waited a minute
9. Got back in, everything has been fine since

I have a SC appointment Monday to put in Homelink, so I’ll definitely mention it to them. But anyone have any ideas? Just a bug?

Joshan | 15. marraskuu 2019

one pedal driving on?

Joshan | 15. marraskuu 2019

er you said hold mode on..... ya sounds similar to the bug noted by some on Reddit.

Swampy | 15. marraskuu 2019

Yes, one pedal driving. I turned it off and it’s been fine since.

Harvan Hunter | 15. marraskuu 2019

Swampy, how steep is your driveway? And is it straight, curved or uneven on the slope? Also, is it a sharp transition between the road and the slope?

Curious to see if I can repro this in any similar conditions here.

vmulla | 15. marraskuu 2019

Were you wearing your seatbelt? Sometimes the car locks up if you back out of a steep driveway without a seatbelt on.
The messages on the screen is different, but just something to keep in mind.

Magic 8 Ball | 15. marraskuu 2019

Which version car, software, etc. ?

IHaveArrived | 15. marraskuu 2019

What color socks were you wearing?

@IHaveArrived: exactly, haha!

Ok, thank you for the replies! I’ll answer all the questions:

1. Fairly steep, straight driveway. The front bumper lip almost scrapes as I drive up to driveway. And yes, it transitions fairly sudden from downslope to the straight road surface.
2. I might not have been wearing the seatbelt, but 95% I was... I usually do.
3. 2019 Model 3 Performance Software Version 2019.32.2.1 ea322ad
4. Gray low-ankle socks.

Software and model will help those are want to try and duplicate. It would be a waste to go out and try if they were on a different firmware. Thanks.

@Magic 8 Ball: good point. I’m actually afraid trying to replicate it out of fear of not being able to get the car going again. Hence I turned off HOLD mode.

@Swampy,
The message that pops up when you back out of a steep driveway without a seatbelt says something like 'car braked to prevent rollaway'. Sorry I do not remember the text correctly, but it happens to me often - always when I am rushing and backing out of my garage without a seatbelt. It is almost a routine now - to curse myself, click the seatbelt and back out again. I actually thank the feature because it forces me to do a mental reset on crazy mornings.
This does not happen if I'm backing out of the same space gently even though I'm not wearing a seatbelt, speed matters for this safety feature to get activated.
I hope that helps.

These things that "fix" themselves will spook anyone for a while. I try to get over it and hope it was a one off. You did everything right, smart to get out and wait and get back in, good tip. How far forward did the car lurch before it stopped?

@vmulla Thanks for the breakdown. I’m pretty sure that’s not what happened in my case. After the car stopped 2 errors came up, but I forgot what they said exactly. I do remember it said Unable To Drive — Pull Over Safely.

@Magic 8 Ball: it just kind of rolled forward slightly. I was reversing and the sudden motion forward was jarring. But I don’t think it rolled forward that much.

You’re right, it kind of put the kibosh on my Model 3 honeymoon phase. I’m sure I’m a couple of days I’ll trust the car enough again. But yesterday I was driving around worried it might happen again. So far, it hasn’t.

Edit: I’m sure I’ll

@vmulla: yup, pretty sure that was it!

@Swampy,
That was an error on my friend's car that just stopped on a highway. A software update and a reset at the service center fixed it for that car. If you already have the latest software (2019.36.2 or higher) then I suggest you do a precautionary reset - I think the service center appointment is unnecessary. I'll leave that up to you - but I'm sharing the info I have with me, all it took was an update and a reset.

So did it actually feel like it gave a bit of forward power then jammed on the brake; or were you on level ground at the end of the drive and it rolled forward and jammed on the brake.

wiscy67 | 15. marraskuu 2019

I think the OP meant he has 2019.36.2.1 above.

I am just now starting to experiment with Hold and backing out of the driveway will take getting used to. Currently I seem to be backing out in increments. I will follow the above advice if I should get stuck in "car unable to drive" so thanks for bringing to our attention.

Harvan Hunter | 15. marraskuu 2019

Your experience does sound pretty similar to the one reported over on Reddit. It sounds like in both cases, the car was pointed downhill, and given the fact that that OP pointed out the "downhill incline" specifically (he said English wasn't his best language), I'm guessing it was fairly steep and sharp, similar to what you described. It's a pretty common design for garages that are downhill from the roads they connect to.

In that other case, the person reported that they were moving forward downhill slowly, and then the car suddenly lurched backward. So the common thread here seems to be that both cars lurched in the opposite direction from the "normal" travel for their gear. The Reddit user didn't report the car locking itself down - my guess is that for some reason, in your case the car detected a "serious error" that basically means "Don't drive me right now". That would be a good default action to take when the software doesn't know what happened, and getting Tesla to pull the logs from that time would be extremely valuable.

I wonder if the car does strange things if one of its sensors thinks the road has disappeared. That sharp transition from road to slope could possibly fool the car into thinking it's about to roll off a cliff. Just thinking aloud, mostly - these are the kinds of things I'd look at first if I were trying to debug it.

Yes, typo on the software version :/ My car’s software version is 2019.36.2.1

lbowroom | 15. marraskuu 2019

vmulla, you must be propping yourself out of the seat for that message to appear. The cars thinks you're about to hop out with it in "gear".

@lbowroom,
:)
I'm all too familiar with the error you're taking about. That's one of the first things that spooked me on my first Tesla (S60). Back then I had the habit of resting my right hand on the passenger headrest, craning my neck to see back - that would make me lift myself off from the seat just enough for the car to stop. That's when I discovered the safety brake that’s applied when the driver isn't sensed on the seat.
This isn't that safety feature I'm describing.

SalisburySam | 17. marraskuu 2019

@Swampy, I’d suggest in the strongest terms you change to crew socks, and possibly a different color as well. The threads are rife with problems of owners wearing gray low-cut socks and their unintended and unrelated consequences; that’s what the forces want you to believe. Obviously a cause-and-effect relationship to all but the most untrained.

One can’t be too sartorially careful in these matters. I wish you well.

rehutton777 | 17. marraskuu 2019

I've had a similar experience in my Model 3 since installing V. 2019.36.2.1 and setting on "Hold" mode. When backing out of my garage there is a short but slight "downward" incline to the street. When I stop to insure there is no side traffic, the car moves forward slightly when I depress the throttle. I of course hit the break, but then the car decides I really want to go backwards, and then backs up normally (although sluggish with the "Hold" mode on). This is the only "problem" I've noticed associated with switching over to "Hold" mode, but it is somewhat disconcerting. Almost makes me want to turn "Hold" off. I do like the enhanced regen braking and one-pedal driving - - just wish the "forward roll" when I am backing out of my garage on a slight downhill backwards slope did rattle me when it happens.

rehutton777 | 17. marraskuu 2019

"...did NOT rattle me..."

Atoms | 17. marraskuu 2019

Tesla not doing sufficient testing again. They really need to set up a system for more extensive testing for drive train related updates.

Swampy | 17. marraskuu 2019

Even though I really liked using HOLD mode, I turned it off fearing it might trip up the car again reversing down my steep driveway. It’s all good, still LOVE driving it.