Forums

36.2.1 - Another huge vote for Best Update yet!

36.2.1 - Another huge vote for Best Update yet!

Like many others, I love this update. One-pedal driving is awesome and TACC and AP both feel so much more refined.

I've been pretty critical of TACC being far too antsy with aggressive braking around other cars, especially when overtaking or around merging and exiting vehicles, and I've repeatedly been through the ritual after every release of trying it again and saying "Nope." If my trip from Austin to Houston today is any indication, I think TACC has finally started driving like a human. Much less antsy, much more tolerant of overtaking and lane changes to get around slower traffic without needless braking.

Surprisingly, even phantom breaking is better. There's one spot on my route that will kick in phantom braking 9 out of 10 times. When it happened today the slowdown was so much more gradual it took me a moment to realize I was at "the spot" and file another bug report.

When I got close to Houston traffic was a mess and AP in stop-and-go was great. Faster to get going, better distance following, and much smoother staying with the flow.

All in all, an amazing update. Thanks Tesla!

CharleyBC | 15. marraskuu 2019

You got me excited to put some miles on it! So far I've only had one short local out-and-back trip to a restaurant on this release. Maybe this weekend...

M3phan | 15. marraskuu 2019

Even smart summon is tighter. Used it at work where it would fail more times than not. Today, worked flawlessly. Pleasantly surprised!

vmulla | 15. marraskuu 2019

I'm spoilt, this is another good incremental update. I feel we had more significant updates.

There's the power boost that is really noticeable - it's nice. But again, I drive chill.

M3phan | 15. marraskuu 2019

I drove Chill for about 3 months because I burned through my original tires and was sort of self-flagellating. Then I switched back to Standard. And I was driving fairly disciplined. Then, 36.2.1. Sorry tires.

jebinc | 15. marraskuu 2019

-@texxx

Agreed. I like this update more than the v10 update, or other prior single release updates since June (when I got my M3). More driver’s substance, than recent past releases, IMHO. YMMV.

vmulla | 15. marraskuu 2019

@M3phan,
I'm an unabashed fan of chill.... And I cheated a lot since 36.2. I know what you mean ;)

FISHEV | 15. marraskuu 2019

The update that provided Chademo use for Model 3 owner was the most useful. The rest are mostly bug fixes and some range loss.

texxx | 15. marraskuu 2019

@FISHEV: Chademo - perhaps for some. The balance of your comment is provably wrong.

triumphbob | 15. marraskuu 2019

Range loss?

calvin940 | 15. marraskuu 2019

Poor Trolls. These updates are really taking the wind out of their sails.

kevin_rf | 16. marraskuu 2019

I don't know, I'm back calculating to 294 miles vs. the 298 miles from before the update. Suspect it has more to do with with winter coming and colder temperatures.

That said, still only charging to 70% each night. Even driving 100-150 miles a day, it's the only ev on the market that has the range I need.

h2ev | 16. marraskuu 2019

Definitely a great update. I drove 25 miles round trip on the back roads here without touching the brakes, up to and including into the garage.

Auto steer is also much improved. The said back roads are very hilly and curvy. In the past, in the sections where ridges meet a curve, it would always drive straight through the double yellow lines. Last night it was able to navigate it almost all of it.

I really don't use auto pilot much. I'm finding that it's more aggressive and abrupt with applying the brakes than I remember, brake checking the guy behind me, even with the follow distance set to 5. Are you guys finding this?

jimglas | 16. marraskuu 2019

Fish: wrong as usual

Lonestar10_1999 | 16. marraskuu 2019

Its strange. Since 36.2.1 installed, it now automatically sets the navigation to my place of work when I leave my house in the morning, and sets the navigation to my home at the end of the work day. The AutoPilot mode is also enabled so all I need to do is pull down the shift lever twice.

I definitely think my M3 is learning my behavior. It’s both cool and a little bit creepy.

jebinc | 16. marraskuu 2019

-@FishEV

In the past, I purchased cars and then had buyer’s remorse. One being a 2015 Lexus IS 350 Fsport. I just wasn’t thrilled with it, so rather than suffering with it, and posting endlessly about my suffering in Lexus IS forums, I just sold it and got something I was more happy with. “Free will,” as they say. Why do you continue to own a car you’re just not happy with, and why continue to share your ongoing pain and suffering in an enthusiasts forum? Why not exercise “Free Will” yourself? I suspect you, and others here, would be happier if you did.

Magic 8 Ball | 16. marraskuu 2019

@Lonestar It is a feature described in the release notes. My wife commented on first day to me and you are the first, that I have read, to comment on it here. I am surprised because this is a very cool feature.

Lonestar10_1999 | 16. marraskuu 2019

FishEV promised to sell his ( or her) M3 and get a Kona. We can only hope that day comes soon and the M3 bashing from FishEV ceases.

lbowroom | 16. marraskuu 2019

Not likely

texxx | 16. marraskuu 2019

One other observation after some more time with 36.2...

It appears the car is seeing further down the road - or at least that's what I'm seeing in the visualization. I always suspected the car could see a lot further ahead than what was shown, and maybe now that information is playing a a bigger part in the decision-making for AP and TACC. Sure would help to explain a lot of the improvements I've experienced with this release - much better situational awareness.

kevin_rf | 16. marraskuu 2019

Texxx, Been noticing that when driving with AP. The slowing down for cars much further ahead down the road. Thought it was just me being more alert while "driving".

FISHEV | 16. marraskuu 2019

"Range loss?"@TriumphBob

"Model 3 lost 6 % battery after software update"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTOaDolXJXU

Bjorn has revised it to 3-5kWh (12-15 miles of range) loss with the "V10" update which spawned all the corrections for "V10" in the "V11"(?) update of 2019.36.x.x.

The "V11" upped performance which will always lower range if used but did say that if one used the new "Hold" regen it would have some unspecified range boost.

Other than bug fixes and irrelevancies like games, not much of actual use.

Next biggest actual update will be CCS adapter and supporting software. Hopefully in 2019 but all the bigs in 2019.32 and 2019.36 might have pushed that real improvement back.

jlhm | 16. marraskuu 2019

@fish, do they pay you extra when you work on a weekend?

So great new functionality that owners really love has been introduced and here’s fish to tell us that it’s really no big deal.

Backed himself into a corner on his home charging thread finally abandoned that effort. Onward to convincing people updates are no good.

wayne | 16. marraskuu 2019

I think TACC is working a little better. It even slowed for a jogger who crossed the road.

"I think TACC is working a little better."@wayne

I'd say worse. It used to do this brake check on adaptive cruise when passing to left. Now it does it getting back in right lane. Hard to know what it's thinking as no other adaptive cruise has this problem.

"FSD" requirements are always the main suspect when base AP has issues.

Yep, setting up camp on this one now

You would say? Or it is?

Magic 8 Ball | 16. marraskuu 2019

Falling behind on the quota, making up some ground today.

howard | 16. marraskuu 2019

It is a great update. Moving ever closer to the Volt and Bolt. Keep up the good effort Tesla.

I think by 2020 Tesla might catch up to my 2015 Subaru.

jlhm | 16. marraskuu 2019

@fishev, don’t work too hard today with all your FUD. Take a break and drive your perfect 2015 Subaru.

casun | 16. marraskuu 2019

fishev you’ve posted countless doozies but this transparent troll takes the cake “I think by 2020 Tesla might catch up to my 2015 Subaru.”

congratulations. you’ve outdone yourself tonight.

vmulla | 16. marraskuu 2019

texxx | November 16, 2019
One other observation after some more time with 36.2...

It appears the car is seeing further down the road - or at least that's what I'm seeing in the visualization. I always suspected the car could see a lot further ahead than what was shown, and maybe now that information is playing a a bigger part in the decision-making for AP and TACC. Sure would help to explain a lot of the improvements I've experienced with this release - much better situational awareness.

---

@texxx,
I actually feel the visualization isn't showing the cars further up the road as it used it. It's just visualization, we really don't have an idea what the car is seeing. I remember the car showing several cars ahead of the 3 , now it's not showing as much. That's ok

Autopilot has changed over the years to rely more on radar, and then back to relying primarily to visual - in any case, capabilities of both the radar and visual systems have increased and the screen visualization isn't always representative of what the car is actually tracking.

For my own part, i check if the car is tracking lanes and *significant* other vehicles (they are represented with different shades) correctly. That representation is better now.

The representation of adjacent vehicles is a little worse in this update - but it's just a representation, and it's not indicative of what the car is truly tracking.

FISHEV | 17. marraskuu 2019

"we really don't have an idea what the car is seeing"@vmulla
"it's just a representation, and it's not indicative of what the car is truly tracking."@vmulla

You were right the first time and likely wrong the second time. The visualization is a piece of the safety equipment on the car and advertised as such. It is where collision avoidance, blind side indicators, lane keeping and other key safety features display their driver information.

If we go by your second statement then we cannot rely on blind side indicators as "it is not indicative of what the car is truly tracking".

billtphotoman | 17. marraskuu 2019

I am split between one pedal driving and sentry mode being my two favorite new features since I bought my car in 2018. The refinements to TACC and the automatic wipers have been stellar too. Sometimes one has to look back to see how far Tesla has come.

jack.hodges | 18. marraskuu 2019

I am loving the one-pedal driving in the 36.2.1 update. Previously, I had creep turned on, but I'm not going back to imitating an ICE car any longer. The reverse could use some minor tweaking in my opinion. I have the LR RWD and it seems a little clunky to start. Possibly due to the architecture of the drive unit.