Forums

I know fanboys will say its me

I know fanboys will say its me

They use the right stalk for too much and instead should just put a column drive/neutral/reverse somewhere else (preferably on the console).

I am a fairly tech savy guy, but even I get thrown off by the magic stalk that does too much. For instance today i had to do an emergency stop while in full auto. I smashed on the brakes and came to a stop. Before when I had done this I’m pretty sure it reverted to simple cruise control, so i flip the right stalk up to cancel whatever mode it was in but yeah, I didn’t look to see if it switched into reverse. Of course it did because I guess my delayed process didn’t account for the car coming to a full stop when I did that. A few seconds later I pressed the pedal to go and, whew, caught it before I smacked the car behind (thankfully i was in chill mode). So while the fanboys will all act like have NEVER done something like that, no doubt lying, Id like to say it’s a danger to have too much on one stalk like that. What other car has that much contradictory things on one stick. PS, I still occasionally push down to go into reverse for some reason but I admit that might just be me.

vmulla | 15. marraskuu 2019

That magic stalk is awesome, and I love it the way it is.

M3phan | 15. marraskuu 2019

So I guess saying “it’s you” runs the risk of me being a fanboy... ; ) But jamming the brakes *always* fully cancels AP, including TACC, always.

Mike UpNorth_ | 15. marraskuu 2019

I have no idea what you're talking about.
But I guess now that you mention it the right stalk does do a lot of stuff.

Magic stalk, good term though.

@M3phan,
What? you're not a fanboi?

lbowroom | 15. marraskuu 2019

Yes, touching the brake cancels everything, always. Just like it does on every Mercedes which has the same stalk control

tanya™ | 15. marraskuu 2019

Are fangirls allowed to speak? I find it odd to be able to use right stalk to confirm switching lanes.

jebinc | 15. marraskuu 2019

“Magic stalk,” that is good! ;-)

@ vmulla, I am a fanman

Bighorn | 15. marraskuu 2019

@lbow
So you’re saying there was zero reason to touch the magic stalk?

jebinc | 15. marraskuu 2019

“Magic stalk,” that is funny.

“Nudge nudge wink wink. Whooooaaahh!!! Eh? Eh?
Say no more.”

Magic 8 Ball | 15. marraskuu 2019

Why is everyone talking about my stalk?

Hal Fisher | 15. marraskuu 2019

Maybe it wasn’t when i braked that it went out of full auto, maybe something triggered it to go out (also hate the zero warning when it does switch iff). I just mean a stalk that does one thing under one condition, and something else under another condition is a bad idea when it’s a 2 ton, high speed device, that’s not always piloted under ideal conditions.

"I find it odd to be able to use right stalk to confirm switching lanes." @Magic 8 Ball-in-reverse

What are you talking about??

Hal Fisher | 15. marraskuu 2019

Oh, I meant the time it went into cruise, not this time when i pressed the brake.

Yeah, that in no way describes anything the car does

@Hal, the car audibly “bleep boops” when it comes out of AP.

Yeah Howard, sounds like your really in top of it

-fanboy

Damn, sorry. I meant Hal

Bighorn | 15. marraskuu 2019

Don’t google Jack and his magic stalk.

@Hal,
That's one of the most intuitive implementations in the car. It's also one of the first things I raved about in the car - I didn't think the steering wheel and controls could be improved upon over the S' steering. Tesla got rid of the Autopilot stalk, merged it with the drive stalk and made it super easy.

I'm not saying it's you, I'm saying you had a bad day. Keep an open mind and maybe you'll start to like it.

The ability to go from drive to reverse and back without taking your hand off from the steering wheel is nice. The only place we need a finer touch is when trying to put the car into neutral.

tanya™ | 15. marraskuu 2019

@vmulla Neutral has been working fine for me for a while now.
When the car offers you to switch lanes, you can use either left or right stalk to confirm.

@Magic 8 Ball-in-reverse
Neutral works great, I was just saying that's the only thing on the stalk that needs a finer touch. That's ok cause it's a rarely used function.
Like I said earlier, I wouldn't change a thing with the magic stalk.

Looking to Tesla’s future, I’d say we will also have magic stock.

"When the car offers you to switch lanes, you can use either left or right stalk to confirm"

Really?? I'm going to stick to what I know - not worth learning a new trick when I'm happy with things as they are.

Harvan Hunter | 15. marraskuu 2019

Actually, my problem with the "magic stalk" is that I spent so long driving a Prius, where the right stalk had my wiper controls on it, that I sometimes still try to use it to start my wipers and then am briefly confused when the car either goes into neutral temporarily or gives me the "I'm sorry Dave" beep.

Not having AutoPilot, though, I can't say I've run into that issue with accidentally shifting into reverse after doing a stop.

FISHEV | 15. marraskuu 2019

" A few seconds later I pressed the pedal to go and, whew, caught it before I smacked the car behind (thankfully i was in chill mode).@Hal Fisher.

I've done it on the interstate. You are totally not expecting since you did nothing to put the car in reverse. Not a good design. Wonder if they change that on the Model Y?

@Hal, this isn't for you... So, Don't mind me saying it

.... Nevermind I was going to say something to someone on the topic, but checked myself...

WW_spb | 15. marraskuu 2019

Fish EV is full of BS

“ you did nothing to put the car in reverse. ”

Except stop and do the only thing that puts it in reverse

Touché

hannes | 15. marraskuu 2019

LOL +1 lbowroom

ReD eXiLe ms us | 16. marraskuu 2019

'CONCENTRATE AND ASK AGAIN'

TickTock | 16. marraskuu 2019

I do not support any change to the controls but do see the OP's point. No stranger to "senior moments", I can see it happening during an emergency. The presence of the backup camera is a good clue but if you are watching the road will miss it. Perhaps a simple audible cue when going into reverse would solve the "problem.

vmulla | 16. marraskuu 2019

+1 @TickTock

lbowroom | 16. marraskuu 2019

Like the audible sounds when AP disengages that the OP claims don’t exist either

h2ev | 16. marraskuu 2019

I'm no fanboy but yeah I'd it's you. I've never had that problem, so it's not a problem, like a fanboy would say right ;) If you half flick the stalk (to neutral) to cancel AP you wouldn't inadvertently put the car in reverse. But I suppose in a panic situation it's possible you'll forget all about the half flick thing.

What I do find odd is that if I step on the accelerator while in auto pilot, the car will no longer auto brake. What is the logic in that?

Hal Fisher | 16. marraskuu 2019

Im not claim the audible doesn’t exist, but i think it chimes even when dropping down into simple cruise, right? But I guess those several times it dropped down into simple cruise and i was new to the car had a lasting effect. The wheel indicator stayed gray so I couldn’t find an indication it was in cruise, though maybe there is no simple cruise any more, the lowest is now lane/obstacle aware cruise?

calvin940 | 16. marraskuu 2019

@Hal

You are worse than a fanboy. It's a bait thread title and content where there is no way to have any real discourse about the subject since you provide a vehicle to dismiss the individuals disagreeing with you and feel bolstered by others aligning with you.

What's the point of this thread? If you wish to make a monologue or an essay about your unhappiness with right stalk , I am sure you can find a place, but if you want to actually have a discussion or debate about it, just don't be a jerk.

SamO | 16. marraskuu 2019

Too late

vmulla | 16. marraskuu 2019

@Hal,
What are you doing to set the car to regular cruise from AP?
^ That will explain a lot of questions for me.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 16. marraskuu 2019

"The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots. They do exactly what you tell them at amazing speed. Even if you order them to kill you. So if you do happen to change your mind, it's very difficult to stop them from obeying the original order." -- Tom Baker as 'DOCTOR WHO'

'Sophisticated Idiots' clip begins at ~5:22 mark...
https://youtu.be/nEBGwMZpUZk

Magic 8 Ball | 16. marraskuu 2019

Thread demonstrates the need for and why the push for FSD.
Too many people are not good operators.

TeslaG | 16. marraskuu 2019

LOL. I bet Tesla will change the functions of the stalk once it gets sued. But @Hal, know this, once you have at least a year's experience driving your car, it wont happen again.

The fanatics that that respond by saying the fault is 100% your and not the stalk are actually doing a disservice to Tesla and the community. I consider myself top 5% driver, and if it can happen to me, it can happen to anymore.

Lawsuit secured.

Magic 8 Ball | 16. marraskuu 2019

Dave: "Put the car in reverse"
Hal: "Are you sure you want to do that dave"

Hal Fisher | 16. marraskuu 2019

Calvin, point me to one thread where fanboys don’t immediately attack a complaint. Nobody is keeping score here, there is no win or lose. People should be able to complain, or rejoice about any aspect here. Musk is not going to carry a fanboy over his head as victor, sales will not plummet due to a dispute. Im a normal person who does normal stuff. I know all this. I drive the car almost every day and I still do something inadvertently wrong.

Im not even sure what caused it to go into cruise, may no longer even be possible. I thought what happened was it popped out of fsd, but im now sure that pressing the brake will take it out of all modes, so i just goofed because i attempted to cancel fsd/cruise after i stopped. Though if i was still in fsd and at a stop, it would cancel Fsd, and not put it in reverse. That’s why i called it a magic stalk. it changes its application depending on the mode it’s in. I normally love magic buttons and things that cut down the overuse of controls, but for a car, it might be the best idea to over use the drive mode selector.

So after coming to a complete stop, you thought if you let your foot off the brake, the car would accelerate on its own? Every cruise on every car on the planet cancels if you brake.

If you brain fart and put the car in reverse you’ll have a moment of “oops, I’m going backwards” you may even tap the car behind you. Won’t cause death.

People get confused and mistake the throttle for the brake too. Why are they so close together? Lawsuit secured.

howard | 16. marraskuu 2019

I thought the gear selector right stalk functionality on our 2014 ML350 was stupid and it is even more stupid on the Tesla with the additional TACC/AP functionality. Convention on our others cars the right stalk is wiper control. I have for years when switching back and forth from our various cars and trucks often find myself instinctively working the gear shifter to turn on the wipers and vice versa. I have heard the warning notice more than once when trying to put the Tesla into park when raining. Tesla’s desire to have the absolute lowest cost implemented user interface (single screen) in existence is just well stupidly cheap. It is certainly not for conventional safety aspects or concerns. Sure you can get used to it and if it your only mode of transportation than more power to you. I drive multiple vehicles every week. It just stinks to have to constantly concentrate on the operator interface just because one of them is so Ridiculously unconventional.

That’s the point Hal. You goofed. Pointing this out isn’t an attack. FSD hasn’t been implemented in the car so you’re completely confused.

Are you lobbying for TESLA to take back all the cars and retro fit them with a different shifting mechanism?

Pages