Forums

Frozen windows

Frozen windows

Has anyone found a practical solution how to deal with the windows that freeze. Located 2 hrs. N of Toronto. Happened the second time this week all 4 windows solid frozen to the rubber seal.I put the heater on for 2 hrs. Right side windows came down, left didn't. Hard to believe that this did not happened during the testing of the vehicles. This is absolutely frustrating to have a new car and being unsure if you can get into it after parking it for several hours. If someone found a way to prevent this, please share.

Uncle George | 16. marraskuu 2019

The heater should be on high. Make sure A/C or auto is not on. “De-icing” windows should be no less then 10 minutes.

Pepperidge | 16. marraskuu 2019

I think Tesla tested extremely cold and hot weather but not mildly cold (around 20F) temperature.
Mildly cold weather is tougher condition for condensation and frozen since absolute humidity is much higher at near freezing temperature than -40F (-40C).

jmda61 | 16. marraskuu 2019

I bought a winter cover from EBAY. It covers mirrors, front windshield , front pass. and drivers windows. Cover shields windows from frost and moisture..... Usually will help thaw frozen windows a little quicker, For safety, cover has reflectors on mirror portion . Lubricate the door and window weather stripping also helps.

LikeLightning | 16. marraskuu 2019

Haven't used it myself but was thinking of trying "303 Rubber Seal Protectant" $11 on Amazon. Let's see if this link works: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=303+rubber+seal+protectant&sprefix=303+rubber...

jimglas | 16. marraskuu 2019

silicone lubricant on the seals and 20 minute cabin warming works for me in Colorado

FISHEV | 16. marraskuu 2019

Just a bad design. And odd design. Never saw that frameless car window. Can see why now, the complexity of the window controls with car operation, the freezing issue which Tesla clearly never tested. Must be some kind of money saver gone wrong, like using the BSI from S/X with line of sight screen onto Model 3's with no inline screen.

Now it's on Tesla customers to work around it burning 10 miles of range and lubing the windows to operate the car in regular winter conditions.

And if you get the window to work, the poorly designed door handles are still frozen shut. Just plain beating on them seems the best work around.

It's like a religious ritual getting the Model 3 going on cold wet winter days.

tim.raymund | 16. marraskuu 2019

+1 silicone lubricant
+1 cover (we bought the tesla cover)

20 - 30 min of warming definitely a good idea. My impression is that blasting heat costs about a mile a minute, but I don't have any data on that. Anyone got some numbers?

" My impression is that blasting heat costs about a mile a minute, but I don't have any data on that."@tim.raymond

The consensus (Tesla won't tell owners) is that heater is max 4kW of output. 4kWh an hour. 4.13 miles per kW so a 17 mile range cost for an hour of full blast heat to make car drive-able in winter.

If you are plugged into a charger at home, not a big issue. If you depend on public charging, its a big issue. Winter driving takes a big toll on EV's and adding in a 10-15 miles loss every winter morning in top of 30 mile loss of cold weather on battery and electronics on top of 20%/85% range and 310 becomes 190 working miles in Winter.

Magic 8 Ball | 16. marraskuu 2019

Holy crap, here we go again!

Forget about the wrong units and wrong amount of output, etc.

All electric cars, electric or otherwise, require the same amount of heat, to bring the cabin up to temperature. The longer the heating system takes to bring the cabin up to temperature the more heat the system has to supply since heat is leaving the cabin at a constant rate.

Should read: All cars, electric or otherwise, require close to same amount of heat..............

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | 16. marraskuu 2019

Silicone spray or Armorall one the window seals works great. I also silicone the door seals to prevent the door from freezing shut.
Fishev: you must be very young or have a short memory. I've had cars with frameless windows. Aside from convertibles, you don't see too many nowadays. As for using energy to warm up the car, ICE cars waste far more than EVs do. We're just used to throwing money away on gas.

derotam | 16. marraskuu 2019

8 Ball, at least FISHEV looks like he is trying to be more accurate now, and come on he missed one unit.

The heater can use anywhere up to what looks like about 7kW according to what I tested the other day and provided a graph for. In 25F i saw the heater using approx 3kW constant after 30 minutes of driving.

As far as all cars requiring the same amount of heat, yeah but there is a HUGE difference where that heat is coming from and the effect on how the EPA rates efficiency of any and all vehicles.

@derotam Is cabin preheating to unfreeze windows being conflated with something else? Did I miss something? I thought the preheat used 7kW until the cabin got to temperature?

Yes a huge difference. For EV's it is battery or plugged in for preheat.

"you must be very young or have a short memory. I've had cars with frameless windows. "@CRAIGJFIFTY3

So not very common and not a feature anyone imitates anymore. It seems like a lot to engineer in for no reason. Cost savings has to be minimal as you don't see it on other cars. The problems we see here are likely the main reason along with the unnecessary complexity.

jansenhvac | 16. marraskuu 2019

I tried the silicon spray, and the windows are not freezing to the door/window seals the problem is the seal on the door where the glass retracts, this morning high heat for 30 min. all 4 windows retracted, 6 hrs later same problem glass frozen, I still have a 95 TT convertible with frameless windows never had a problem opening the doors, I wouldn't care if the windows dount retract if the doors would open, but now the only way is to force the glass past the trim, if you come back to the car and forgot to heat for 30 min. To bad because I like the car but this is like a pebble in your preferred running shoes, irritating, will see how it goes, winter just started, may try the cover mentioned above. Cheers

coleAK | 16. marraskuu 2019

I’m in Alaska and had no problems last winter with windows or door handles freezing. Pre heat for 10-15 min every time and you will be all good.

coleAK | 16. marraskuu 2019

I’m in Alaska and had no problems last winter with windows or door handles freezing. Pre heat for 10-15 min every time and you will be all good.

calvin940 | 16. marraskuu 2019

My Porsche 911 also had this problem. Happens with frameless windows .

Oh ya and for those that don't know, ignore fish. He l spreads misinformation and is generally unhelpful.

bp | 16. marraskuu 2019

Haven’t owned my car through the winter yet, and not sure I’ll ever have to deal with this, but I love the idea of leaving the rear folding seat down, just in case. ;-)

Thanks, for the input, like I said, I like the car, just trying to get some help to work around this problem, wouldn't bad-mouthing the car if I couldn't stand it, sell it and move on, the way I see things there is no need for endless debates. Cheers

Just for my information, is there any mentioning in the forum that getting in the car without any problem and then driving for 1 - 2 hours and the glass was frozen when trying to leave the car?

@jansenhvac

My first winter with the M3 was last winter (recieved car Oct 2018) and did have window freeze events when I hadn't preheated but not when I fired up climate to 20 degC for 15 minutes .

I had not had any incidents where the windows were still frozen after driving for a bit. My drives aren't long onea either, but depending upon where you live you may have been driving in colder weather

mmclean708 | 17. marraskuu 2019

@jansenhvac we did. Got our 3 october 2018, drove to work with dampness on windows, they were frozen up at arrival. Aim the heat at the doors, that is a tremendous help. Also, I carry a small putty knife for the times when I didn't or cant preheat.
Rule of thumb if the widow doesnt come down when you push the handle dont open the door, wok the rubber a bit. And dont neglect the triangle near the mirror.
I wish I had a garage, but would like a cover...but it won't do at work anyway. But aim the vents.
Love my 3.

FISHEV | 17. marraskuu 2019

"Also, I carry a small putty knife for the times when I didn't or cant preheat."@mmclean708

That's classic.

"Rule of thumb if the widow doesnt come down when you push the handle dont open the door, wok the rubber a bit."@mmclean708

Is the window actively trying to go down while you do it or do you have to move the handle again to see if you've loosened it up enough?

Zeus140 | 17. marraskuu 2019

Has anyone tried WD40 or similar?

coleAK | 17. marraskuu 2019

Subaru has used frameless windows for years. I’m pretty sure the WRX still has them. And Subaru is pretty much the gold standard for winter vehicle performance.

coleAK | 17. marraskuu 2019

Also the worst vehicle I’ve ever owned for freezing shut was a MB g wagon. Many times I had to crawl in through the back door. It didn’t have frameless windows.

FISHEV | 17. marraskuu 2019

"And Subaru is pretty much the gold standard for winter vehicle performance.@coleAK

Impreza, CrossTrek, Legacy and Outbacks have frames. Never saw frameless side windows before. I figured the quick down movement was to free it up when frozen. Not the case, silicone and heat.

gballant4570 | 17. marraskuu 2019

I park and charge the car in the barn. Never had a frozen window yet.

Pepperidge | 17. marraskuu 2019

Try CTL-ALT-DEL.