Forums

Heads up Speed and Speed limit display?

Heads up Speed and Speed limit display?

Suggestion: Provide an option to add a small heads-up display which makes the current speed of the car and the local speed limit appear to be floating a few feet past the end of the frunk lid. The eSoul has something like that and it is the only feature which the Tesla 3 doesn't have a better version of.

-TheJohn- | 16. marraskuu 2019

Not going to happen. Look slightly, ever so slightly. right in order to see what you wish for.

2015P90DI | 16. marraskuu 2019

I could care less about the speed limit. Fine where it's at. What I really want is navigation and lane information right in front of me as that's info I need to see when my eyes are pointed forward.

More importantly, having this info in front of you, via HUD or a small digital display, would allow the entire 15" center screen to be used for everything else. As it is now, to see the map when navigating, you've got to get your eyes clear over to near the opposite side of the screen after losing 1/3rd of the screen to driver info, then another 1/4 to the text nav instructions, all in a quick glance to find your location on the map itself. In a Model S/X, it's all right in front of you, very easy to locate in a spit second.

Same thing for blind spot identification. My Model S, I can practically drive without mirrors because it's easy to see the cars around me on the screen. In the M3, rushing your eyes over to the cluttered center screen in time for a quick decision just isn't as practical.

If you haven't driven an MS or MX for several weeks/months, you don't know what you're missing. I've owned both and lived with both. The M3 is absolutely more distracting to drive and because I can't get my eyes to the exact spot on the center screen, that's cluttered with too stuff much in one place, fast enough in a quick glance while driving, most of it isn't useful. In the MS, having the nav instructions and blind spot image in line of sight makes it so easy to use.

After 8 months in the M3, I was done. Worth every penny to go back to the Model S. M3 is a great little car, but could be SO MUCH better with just a few little tweaks.

Varricks | 16. marraskuu 2019

I planned on using an old cell phone for this stuff. Also kind of figured I'd get or make a grille.

Plans changed when I got the car.

M3phan | 16. marraskuu 2019

@ 2015P90DI, to each their own, eh? I’ve driven several S models and they can’t compare to my 3.

Hal Fisher | 16. marraskuu 2019

Im with 2015P90DI. The m3 is zippy but a pain to maneuver in traffic with the tiny mirrors and the screen isn’t accurate enough. With traffic being too tight in the SD area, i find myself crossing my fingers too much.

calvin940 | 16. marraskuu 2019

Completely unnecessary. Tesla should concentrate exactly on the stuff they are doing and not on uneeded things like this.

bjrosen | 16. marraskuu 2019

It has to happen sometime. Every other car in Tesla's class ovvers HUDs. I'd would have bought the option if it had been available.

rfpmoxie | 16. marraskuu 2019

This seems like a good thread to add my suggestion. As I've disabled the annoying chime the mini increase in speed limit sign size as you exceed it (and I think it's temporary) is fairly useless. I think as is (or green) followed by yellow in the offset and then red would be much more useful. Is this sensible?

EVRider | 16. marraskuu 2019

Tesla’s goal is to achieve full autonomous driving. They’re not going to invest in new technology that won’t be needed in driverless cars. A heads up display can’t be added in a software update.

Magic 8 Ball | 16. marraskuu 2019

Weird, HUD talk has been quiet here for months and this past week has been brought up several times.

gballant4570 | 16. marraskuu 2019

Some people want HUD, but most do not. If it was an option perhaps that would be good, but time and attention spent in any direction is time and attention not spent elsewhere. That decision is up to Tesla. I like a nice open view, so it don't matter to me.

bp | 16. marraskuu 2019

tl;dr my only wish for the speedometer is that there was a mode where only the driver could see it. ;)

Firewired | 16. marraskuu 2019

if you really want it you can add a Navdy unit. You just would need to also order the tesla model 3 obd adapter to make it work.

Firewired | 16. marraskuu 2019

oh disregard. I just checked, appears they went out of business. So much for high demand.

FISHEV | 16. marraskuu 2019

"The m3 is zippy but a pain to maneuver in traffic with the tiny mirrors and the screen isn’t accurate enough. With traffic being too tight in the SD area, i find myself crossing my fingers too much."@Hal Fisher

100%.

Mostly with BSI with me...is there a car there? Who knows? I put on the small booster mirrors which help a little but so small that of limited utility except in best of conditions.

I only plan on keeping the car another 12 months due to the issues with basic safeties (TACC, LK, RCTW, BSI) but was thinking of adding 3rd party BSI that puts an indicator light at the front pillars with the sensors in a license plate holder. $1,300.

It should help on resale and keep me from causing an accident.

lbowroom | 16. marraskuu 2019

“ I only plan on keeping the car another 12 months due to the issues with basic safeties”

Thought it due to warranty mileage. BTW, Oregon requires you to keep vehicle for 2 years to qualify for state rebates

jlhm | 16. marraskuu 2019

@fish, if you need BSI to not cause an accident then you should not drive at all.

Earl and Nagin ... | 16. marraskuu 2019

+1 jlhm
I hope he goes back into the water (undoubtedly at the bottom in his case) where fish belong.
@fish,
Will you be leaving this forum as well when you get rid of your Model 3?

Scrannel | 17. marraskuu 2019

Had a HUD on my C6 and didn't use it much as I imagined I would. Generally found I annoying.

Pg3ibew | 17. marraskuu 2019

It took me exactly 3 times driving the model 3 to get use to looking to the right for my speed.

thedrisin | 17. marraskuu 2019

It would be nice to have a HUD showing the car icon with the lane markings and adjacent objects and not having to divert eyes to the screen.

FISHEV | 17. marraskuu 2019

"It would be nice to have a HUD showing the car icon with the lane markings and adjacent objects and not having to divert eyes to the screen."@thedrisin

100%.

The S and X have that with the inline screen. Adapted to the Model 3, it doesn't work so well as we have to take eyes off the road.

Some interesting 3rd party HUD's. The phone apps that reflect onto the windshield look interesting. If it could show the blind side car images that would be great.

https://www.slashgear.com/adding-a-hud-to-your-car-three-options-23338342/

SalisburySam | 17. marraskuu 2019

Had a HUD in my 1997 (yup, 22 years ago) Buick Park Ave. Showed speed and a few other things that I forget. I do recall the best part of that feature was the “off” switch. Tried it a few times, then left it off for the rest of my 4-year ownership. Loved the car by the way, one of the most comfortable I’ve owned, but yes, it was a bit of a living room on wheels.

WW_spb | 17. marraskuu 2019

Fish is wrong. Blind spot assistance works great. All you have to do look at the screen or turn your head.

jeffnz | 17. marraskuu 2019

Before I got the 3 I thought I wasn’t going to like not having the speed in front of me. It was actually something I worried about and went back in forth in my mind while waiting for the car. But on the first drive I discovered it wasn’t an issue at all. I prefer the uncluttered view forward and easily trained myself in a few mins to just glance over whenever I want to check speed.

I‘ve found that the side mirrors work perfectly when adjusted right. No blind spots at all. I’d rather look with my eyes than rely on an indicator light anyway.

calvin940 | 17. marraskuu 2019

Given that the vehicle has achieved each organization's highest safety rating, I wonder how an individual could cite the vehicle's safeties as an issue.

Of course we all recognize that statement for the misinformation it is.

2015P90DI | 17. marraskuu 2019

@WhiteWi | November 17, 2019
Fish is wrong. Blind spot assistance works great. All you have to do look at the screen or turn your head.

--------------------------

It's fine for lane changes to the right, but for lane changes to the left, it's a pain. Takes too long to check the left side, then swing your head/eyes over to the screen on the right fast enough to make it usable.

walnotr | 17. marraskuu 2019

I think people fail to recognize the Model3 was conceived as a future autonomous vehicle and as such all these “missing” features are not missing at all. Blinking lights on the mirrors, rear cross track (auto park backs in), etc. are not really needed for autonomy.

aptwo | 17. marraskuu 2019

People used to things they were forced into and now don't want to change.

"I think people fail to recognize the Model3 was conceived as a future autonomous vehicle and as such all these “missing” features are not missing at all."@walnotr

The Model 3 is a galaxy far, far away from being an autonomous vehicle. It lacks the HW.

The problem with BSI not working is just one example. Lane keeping not working another. Adaptive cruise random braking problems another. Lack of rear cross track warning. Tesla can't do what cars 10 years old can do so miles to go before we can sleep while driving.

For current Model 3 Tesla's lacking the inline drivers screen of the S/X, a heads up display to take it's place would help a lot for basic driving safeties.

I don’t see the need for checking the screen or swinging my head around to change lanes. I think the visualisation on the screen is useful and entertaining but not needed at all for changing lanes. I Just look in the mirrors. A quick check in the side mirrors and rear view mirror is all that’s needed. Maybe for some reason it doesn’t work for everyone but I suggest just try it... adjust your side mirrors so you eliminate the blind spot and you’re done.

" I Just look in the mirrors"@jeffnz

Drivers mirror can't show blindspot for many drivers. That flaw is magnified by the lack of the BSI. The gray on white jumping image down and to the right of the driver view is not a BSI.

walnotr | 17. marraskuu 2019

Fish, just because you lack the hardware to think outside the box doesn’t make you right.

Sorry, I broke my vow to not engage. No more comments from me.

2015P90DI | 17. marraskuu 2019

The point is, while the car may have been designed for autonomous driving, as of today, it is NOT. It still requires a driver and will still require a driver for years to come. The car is too far ahead of its time based on Elon originally thinking it would only take a couple of years to fully implement 100% autonomy. However, they've discovered that last 5% is extremely difficult to achieve. Smart Summon, as cool of a feature as it is, is still a clear example of how far we really are from full autonomy. It struggles just to make it through a parking lot on the right side of the aisle. Now put it out on the road and oh boy, it would be ugly, in its current form.

The car is as it was designed, problem is only that it was too soon. Drivers still need functionality. Sure, you can "live with it", but for $50,000+, it's the most expensive car many have ever purchased, who wants to "live with it"? That's where the MS & MX are more driver friendly. They were designed around the driver, as is every other car built today. At some point, the M3 will be perfect for the time. It's just not today yet.

"The car is too far ahead of its time based on Elon originally thinking it would only take a couple of years to fully implement 100% autonomy. "@2015P90DI

Don't think the current Model 3 hardware would ever support autonomous driving. The Blind Side Indicators, Lane Keeping and Adaptive Cruise all go off in the AM due to condensation. Perhaps a self wiping feature will be added?

thedrisin | 17. marraskuu 2019

" I Just look in the mirrors. A quick check in the side mirrors and rear view mirror is all that’s needed."

Who needs all that new-fangled stuff? If @jeffnz doesn't find it useful, no one else should. Probably uses a folded up map in the glove compartment.

@thedrisin I'm an enthusiastic new owner who is really thrilled with the car I've finally gotten after waiting for three years since reserving it. Just thought I'd try to join in the forum and maybe try to be helpful or get a question answered. I never suggested that my way was the only way. I just said it works for me and suggested others might try it. In any case, I can see that I'm not welcome here and this forum is full of personal attacks and snide comments anyway. It certainly isn't helping attract new owners. Enjoy your forum. Bye

Keithdorschner | 18. marraskuu 2019

Haha fish complaining about his blind spot AGAIN! Funny how I don’t have the problem. I monitor my blind spots with the side view mirrors! All you have to do is adjust them properly. Use the rear view mirror to monitor behind you. The side view mirrors are for the blind spots. Fish is just a bad driver it seems. Be careful on the road people. There are many “fish” in the sea.

Keithdorschner | 18. marraskuu 2019

jeffnz gets it. Don’t leave Jeff. You are a voice of reason

ReD eXiLe ms us | 18. marraskuu 2019

bjrosen: Observe, 'every other car in its class' burns gasoline, uses ICE as its primary motivator, has a stupid shark fin antenna on the roof, offers Apple Carplay and Android Auto, has turn signals on exterior mirrors as well as blinking blind spot warnings on them, has Sirius XM on offer, along with AM radio, 20,000 buttons, knobs, sliders, & switches on the dash in front of the driver, etc... And the Tesla Model 3 outsells them ALL. So, NO. Tesla does NOT have to offer HUD 'sometime' at all.

The Model 3 is different from its direct competitors in more ways than one. Purposely. It has a different design. It is produced using a different philosophy. It was conceived from a different vantage point. And the result should unsurprisingly be as it is... different.

Not meant to squeeze every single dime out of consumers with shiny distracting objects or advanced 'features'. Not seeking profit from the inconsequential. Not playing the 'Look, me too!' game with feature lists. Not doing any consumer focus groups. Not advertising. Because Tesla is different.

ICEMELT | 18. marraskuu 2019

Drive around with a big bug splash on your windshield before you wish for HUD. I find it a big distraction to be able to focus on road at far distance. I thought it was the coolest feature until I drove Q7 with HUD on.

just my 2 cents.

FISHEV | 18. marraskuu 2019

“Drive around with a big bug splash on your windshield before you wish for HUD”@ICEMELT

Better to drive a car with a nice HUD to see if you like it. Was the bug comment a swipe at Tesla’s less than adequate windshield washers? As bad as the frameless windows.

calvin940 | 18. marraskuu 2019

ICEMELT | November 18, 2019
@Drive around with a big bug splash on your windshield before you wish for HUD. I find it a big distraction to be able to focus on road at far distance
-------
Agree. Any technology that can interfere with forward visibility isn't something I am interested in. As I said before, HUDs are not necessary and in fact are a distraction. People who want a HUD can go by a vehicle with a HUD. I prefer to have my drive unencumbered thank you.

ICEMELT | 18. marraskuu 2019

@FISHEV No my bug comment had no pun intended. That is probably the cheapest way to experience the HUD feeling. Nice try though.

FISHEV | 18. marraskuu 2019

"No my bug comment had no pun intended. That is probably the cheapest way to experience the HUD feeling"@ICEMELT

Well definitely the dumbest if not the cheapest. We always see Teslarati diss anything Tesla doesn't have until Tesla has it then it's wonderful Tesla engineering...we saw that with one-pedal regen with more cases of fanbow whiplash at local hospitals when Tesla added it and they had to change direction.

HUD's are cool tech, not for everybody. For the loteks, there's the of button.

PECo CT | 18. marraskuu 2019

“The point is, while the car may have been designed for autonomous driving, as of today, it is NOT. It still requires a driver and will still require a driver for years to come.”

I agree with this. And while Tesla’s implementation of the speedometer on the central screen is certainly functional, it’s hardly ideal. A good HUD would be nice.

I remember reading that Tesla had hired one of the leading HUD engineers in the industry. Whatever happened with that?

WW_spb | 18. marraskuu 2019

I won't be surprised if model Y will end up with HUD.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 20. marraskuu 2019

Wow. Is this an epidemic of people woth fused vertebrae and age-enduced Hypermetropia or what? Should they be banned from driving, or playing in the NFL, or what? So much tunnel vision it isn't to be believed.