Forums

Do Brake Lights go on with one pedal drving and regenrative braking?

Do Brake Lights go on with one pedal drving and regenrative braking?

Getting used to the one pedal driving but wondering: Do the brake lights go on while braking using regenerative braking?

When? Immediately or delayed?

FISHEV | 16. marraskuu 2019

Yes. Immediately.

You can see it with magnifying glass if you look at the tiny representation of the car and look for the even tinier brake lights on the graphic and then there's the even harder to see reflected brake light representation.

But it's there.

Opposite issue of other drivers thinking they you are brake checking them all the time.

bp | 16. marraskuu 2019

There appears to be an algorithm that attempts to activate the lights based on the rate of deceleration. If you’re gently easing off the pedal, the lights may not activate.

Bighorn | 16. marraskuu 2019

If the accelerometer deems it so, they come on. You can also decelerate gently to where they hardly ever come on. Herky jerky driving will have them constantly coming on and may generate anger in other drivers. One particular situation that can evoke ire is when doing a quick pass, the brake lights can come on before you pull in front or soon thereafter, making the person think you are brake-checking them.

lbowroom | 16. marraskuu 2019

Look at the third brake light on the graphic in the rear window

To confirm if you need to

MAB1980 | 16. marraskuu 2019

It doesn’t seem to behave differently than previous iterations. If acceleration breaks a threshold value, they come on.

spuzzz123 | 16. marraskuu 2019

Fish thinks you’re supposed to check it while you slow down so you can decide whether or not to speed up so you dont illuminate the brake lights when there is a car behind you. Not a made up story.

"Fish thinks you’re supposed to check it while you slow down"@spuzz123

So does Tesla which is why they put the display there...it's just a poor graphics job.

In S/X (and 2015 Subaru) the brake light representation is inline center screen and a bit larger. For an even better implementation look at the 2015 Subaru where the graphic rep of the car made reading the messages very easy.

Maybe that's why Subaru is #1 in the US at fault accidents.

"Fish thinks you’re supposed to check it while you slow down"@spuzz123

So does Tesla which is why they put the display there...@Fish

Tesla also shows blinkers blinking, head lamps shining, and star light twinkling on the glass roof.

That they should be used to make driving decisions is your own belief.

What's that expression about fish in a barrel and how easy it is to shoot them?

Like I said, not a made up story. You can’t make up schitt this dumb.

rsingh05 | 16. marraskuu 2019

@BH if that stat is true, it explains why some of the worst driving I’ve seen is in Subarus.

"Tesla also shows blinkers blinking, head lamps shining"@MAP1980

So you think turn signal and light status indicators should be deleted?

Lots of cars show when brake lights are on and for good reason as other drivers react to it you need to know what driving signals you are giving other drivers.

On the plus side, Tesla can easily fix the poor visualization of brake lights.

And here's a reliable compilation of safe cars...and why...vs. an advertisement from an ambulance chasing law firm...too funny.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/driver-death-rates-by-make-and-model

"One way to compare the relative safety of vehicles is to look at driver death rates. From time to time, IIHS researchers compute the rate at which drivers of individual models from a given year are killed in crashes.

Rates are given as the number of driver deaths per million registered vehicle years. (A registered vehicle year is one vehicle registered for one year.) To increase the exposure and thereby improve the accuracy of the calculations, results are included for the previous three model years if the vehicle wasn't substantially redesigned during that time. These calculations take into account only deaths of drivers, not passengers, since every vehicle that crashes has a driver, but not every vehicle has passengers."

@fish “ "Tesla also shows blinkers blinking, head lamps shining"@MAP1980

So you think turn signal and light status indicators should be deleted?”

Where did you read that? I don’t think that brake light, headlamp, or turn signal graphics should be used to make driving decisions.

It is important to know what signals you’re sending to other drivers. It is vastly more important to slow down when driving conditions demand it. That there are people driving who seemingly disagree is frankly terrifying.

“...for good reason as other drivers react to it you need to know what driving signals you are giving other drivers.”@fishev

You continue chasing a bad argument in an effort to save face. Too late. If you’re worried about looking foolish to drivers behind you with strobe braking then don’t follow so close. You never ever ever ever stop braking when you need to slow down because you’re worried about signals you are giving.

+1 MAB. You beat me to it more concisely and eloquently.

What do you adjust or vary by monitoring when your brake lights come on?

He’s not trying to save face, he’s trying to find faults with the car to dissuade buyers.

ronjolley | 16. marraskuu 2019

I like it, but it goes to take a while. The trip to exercise went pretty smooth, but..

The other night, I'd forgotten that I wanted to charge her 3. I went quickly out to back out and back her 3 up the driveway for charging. The S is in the garage.

You'd have thought that I was drunk and the taillights were flashing like crazy with my one foot driving.

ronjolley | 16. marraskuu 2019

... it's going to take... and ... to exercise today went... and ...sloped driveway...

I need to slow down.

Tesla2018 | 16. marraskuu 2019

I was behind another Tesla which I think was on autopilot. Their brake lights would go on every 15 seconds or so because the car would speed up and get close to the car in front of it and then start slowing down as it got to close to it.

"I don’t think that brake light, headlamp, or turn signal graphics should be used to make driving decisions."@MAB1980

It's that your brake lights, turn signals and flashing headlights are used by other drivers looking at them to make decisions.

That's why problems with adaptive cruise of changing lanes, slowing, flashing brake lights is bad design for many reasons, one of them is flashing the brake lights while switching lanes and slowing down.

reduced to spewing non sensical drivel....

When in TACC, the driver is in charge of lane changes, the car doesn’t flash its brake lights when it changes lanes. Brake lights will come on at appropriate deceleration threshold.

Now where is that button for lifetime ban....

FISHEV | November 16, 2019
"I don’t think that brake light, headlamp, or turn signal graphics should be used to make driving decisions."@MAB1980

It's that your brake lights, turn signals and flashing headlights are used by other drivers looking at them to make decisions.@fish

Indeed. And they should heed my brake lights, whether or not I intend them to illuminate. If I need to slow down, they probably do too. That’s what they’re for: other drivers.

If I’m decelerating sufficiently to trigger the lights, they come on. It’s actually more useful than pressing a pedal which engages a switch turning on lights regardless of rate of change of velocity. As a driver, I only care that they come on when they need to. I won’t change my driving behavior due to whether my brake lights come on, and for the sake of drivers ahead of you, I sincerely hope you won’t either.

As for the graphic of the car: I think it’s cute and entirely unnecessary.

robert rogus | 17. marraskuu 2019

You can test it by getting on a dark street at night with nobody around. Turn on your rear facing camera and drive around. You will be able to see brake lights activate immediately when you let off accelerator and regen starts slowing the car.

robert rogus | 17. marraskuu 2019

It works great!!

teslamazing | 17. marraskuu 2019

“Magnifying glass” lmao what a nut.

“Poor this, poor that” just sell ur damn car and move on.

LikeLightning | 17. marraskuu 2019

He's a paid troll. Rawballs ought to show up any moment.

thedrisin | 17. marraskuu 2019

I wonder if people behind me are saying, "why does that person keep braking?" I know on roads that I drive frequently and may anticipate a turn without braking or downshift in another car, the brake lights don't come on as it slows but apparently illuminate at same point in the Model 3. Just sayin'

MAB1980 | 17. marraskuu 2019

thedrisin: only if they break the acceleration threshold.

FISHEV | 17. marraskuu 2019

" know on roads that I drive frequently and may anticipate a turn without braking or downshift in another car, the brake lights don't come on as it slows but apparently illuminate at same point in the Model 3."@thedrisin

Good point that the regen can create a brake light situation when it would not normally occur and where other drivers and not expecting it.

It's good to know when we do are flashing the brake lights at other cars as it will affect the other cars behavior.

Because the Model 3 is going to flash the brake lights more, it would be a good idea for Tesla to fix the poor visualization.

@MAB1980. "thedrisin: only if they break the acceleration threshold."

Exactly. I find that it breaks the threshold at times when I would not in other vehicles. People have different driving styles. Just sayin'

Bighorn | 17. marraskuu 2019

Aggressive downshifting classically in a manual car, but also an automatic will never activate brake lights despite dramatic slowing. Touching the brakes without engaging the brake pads will activate the brake lights. No car I’ve ever owned before the Tesla had a dash graphic showing the status of my brake lights. This thread has jumped the shark, a fish.

" No car I’ve ever owned before the Tesla had a dash graphic showing the status of my brake lights."@Bighorn

Not sure anyone cares about your personal history of avoiding safety tech but OK. Newer safety equipment has the brake light display in many ICE cars. 2015 Subaru with top rated Eyesight system for example.

It's essential for cars with regenerative braking.

@thedrisin “ Exactly. I find that it breaks the threshold at times when I would not in other vehicles. People have different driving styles. Just sayin'”

That statement indicates you’re decelerating more than you would in other vehicles. Don’t lift completely so your deceleration is more like that caused by drag while coasting or even a 1-gear downshift. Fully lifting your foot at basically any road speed brings substantial deceleration in hold mode.

lbowroom | 17. marraskuu 2019

Again, you imply that you, as the the driver, will somehow change your behavior based on when your brake lights illuminate. That’s ridiculous.

@thedrisin It’s important to recognize that the lights are reacting to the way you’re driving. If you trigger them by decelerating substantially, any drivers behind you deserve to know it.

Bighorn | 17. marraskuu 2019

Apparently Subaru’s design decisions are making them the most hazardous on the road.
https://amp.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/08/12/car-accidents-subaru-cro...

SamO | 17. marraskuu 2019

Nobody should buy a Subaru. Horribly unsafe cars. The eyesight system causes cancer and shrinking penis syndrome.

Magic 8 Ball | 17. marraskuu 2019

OMG, that explains the two bro in laws turing into grandmas.

lulz

@MAN1980. You're right. I better take some driving lessons.

"Again, you imply that you, as the the driver, will somehow change your behavior based on when your brake lights illuminate. That’s ridiculous."@MAB1980

Again you misstate what the person actually said to set up straw man arguments.

Your brake lights change the OTHER DRIVERS BEHAVIOR is what was said. You got it completely backwards. Shocker.

“ Again you misstate what the person actually said to set up straw man arguments.” @fish

Again you say someone said something that they didn’t. Hilarious.

thedrisin | November 17, 2019
“@MAN1980. You're right. I better take some driving lessons.”

I wasn’t insinuating that you don’t know how to drive, just that the lights illuminate based on how you’re driving. There is absolutely no reason to worry about whether they come on, unless it’s because they don’t work.

“ Again you misstate what the person actually said to set up straw man arguments.” @fish
"Again you say someone said something that they didn’t.@MAP1980

Nope. Above is exactly what I said. Perhaps you put up wrong qote?

jallred | 17. marraskuu 2019

I guessed I missed it. What do you do, Fishev, when you see that the brake lights come on?
Also, essential seems to be the wrong word. If the system doesn't display when the brake lights come on, then the system cannot function at all?

Pages