Forums

Scary EAP behavior today... tried to veer into the concrete divider

Scary EAP behavior today... tried to veer into the concrete divider

I was on 680 north going towards Pleasanton today evening, and in the left most lane.

I was on NOA and had both my hands at the bottom of the wheel, and alert. The car was going fine at 74 mph when I noticed a groove (really a dividing line where two concrete slabs were joined together longitudinally to make a parallel line to the lane markers.

I was kinda *expecting* that the EAP on my LR RWD would get confused. It did. It suddenly tried to veer left into the median which was a concrete wall, as it thought the ‘line’ that had appeared right in the middle of my lane was a lane marker.

I jerked it back fast, and that also disabled EAP.

Anyone seen this behavior? I wouldn’t know how Tesla would be expected to fix their AP software for this situation. Kinda an edge case, I think, but scary for me. Luckily I was alert.

stingray.don | 18. marraskuu 2019

Submit a bug report when things like that happen

Sarah R | 18. marraskuu 2019

^^^^^

To be sure, the fact that you took control away from EAP should trigger a data collection event. Tesla probably already grabbed all the the video and sensor data from the car. A human will review it and tag it and it will become part of the training set.

But again, to be sure any time Autopilot gets goofy you should submit a bug report. That's how Autopilot gets better.

vmulla | 18. marraskuu 2019

Video?

SteveWin1 | 18. marraskuu 2019

glad you were paying attention. Great job!

LostInTx | 18. marraskuu 2019

Have had similar events occur, primarily on interstates where post-construction obsolete lane markers are still visible. EAP gets very confused, often very quickly.

For those in Texas, an area where EAP wants to trade paint with the shoulder barriers is I-10, both directions, between Orange and Beaumont.

Pg3ibew | 18. marraskuu 2019

I will leave my Auto pilot on in construction areas deliberately. I want to see how the AP reacts. And yes, I pay diligent attetnion whilst heading into and through the construction.

Magic 8 Ball | 18. marraskuu 2019

I was on 280 in SF yesterday and came across something similar. Old lane markings were visible and I also braced for the car to get confused. It worked perfectly, I was impressed. As others have said file a bug report.

M3phan | 18. marraskuu 2019

“I was kinda *expecting* that the EAP on my LR RWD would get confused. It did.”

Just a thought: I wouldn’t title this post “scary” as you said it was expected behavior. Expected behavior, as well as the car experiencing an edge case learning opportunity. And as you said you were excellently alert, prepared. “Scary” could imply to some that the car system isn’t working as it should. Again, just a thought.

apodbdrs | 18. marraskuu 2019

Eventually, maybe road authorities can install some type of road sensors or transmitters that can aid autonomous vehicles avoid these dangerous areas. On California 91 hwy east bound, near Corona road expansions make it difficult to determine the latest lane, especially in the early morning with the early rising sun.

WEST TEX EV | 18. marraskuu 2019

Please post Dashcam footage.

I think construction teams will be better about “temp lane markings.

calvin940 | 18. marraskuu 2019

Yes please . Post dashcam video. It's good for us to be prepared when possibly encountering similar circumstances.

howard | 18. marraskuu 2019

Glad you were alert and anticipating. Long ways to go for me but I am glad there are those of you who are ok with the risk. I don’t use it. Probably won’t ever at the current development rate.

RedShift | 18. marraskuu 2019

I will post dashcam video later. I didn’t download it at once, as we were headed to an important appointment concerning the college admission for my daughter.

Unsure if the footage will exist, but I will try to download it soon.

PteRoy | 18. marraskuu 2019

There is a video on YouTube posted last week of autopilot almost hitting a concrete barrier before the driver took over.

lbowroom | 18. marraskuu 2019

"road authorities can install some type of road sensors or transmitters that can aid autonomous vehicles avoid these dangerous areas"

Or just have standards for correct line markers during construction phases and general maintenance.

NKYTA | 18. marraskuu 2019

My take away -- your daughter is going to college already!?! I guess it has been a while since we met at Folsom...
Time flies.

rxlawdude | 18. marraskuu 2019

"Or just have standards for correct line markers during construction phases and general maintenance."

This.

RedShift | 18. marraskuu 2019

Sorry no footage of the video since my cameras filled up the drive afterwards in my garage, recording the black emptiness (why do they do that).

@NYKTA

She still has a year to go before we start applications. Yes, it’s been a while since we last met!

I sent you email at your gmail account earlier this year IIRC to meet you and BH if he was going to come by! Well, how about meeting one of these weekends? I am busy till after Thanksgiving.. wife is away in India for a short vacation alone, and I am both mommy and daddy nowadays.

Also taking a break from my work for these two weeks after a long long time. :-)

kallian | 18. marraskuu 2019

There are 2 major gotchas folks need to understand about current AP.

1) It doesnt not care about still objects in front or side of the car. This is a radar elimination issue. (Unlike tracked cars that come to halt, it does care)
2) It follows the left line today primarily, if that gets messed up in anyway, it is blind as a bat at highway speeds.

andy | 18. marraskuu 2019

Fairly common occurrence driving into a low sun where the road surfaces has previously been worked on. The studs of tarmac that go in to replace cats eyes shine and must look like paint to the cameras when the sun shines on them. The big arrows at a junction can also cause the car to pull the wrong way instead of going straight ahead. I've had to override that a few times.

gparrot | 18. marraskuu 2019

Howard, you are not alone: I don’t trust the current system and will not use it. The last time I did, the system went "crazy", headed for a wall, then upon "realizing" it had erred, violently returned to the middle of its lane, causing my wife to scream and the driver behind me to flash me with his headlights.

NKYTA | 18. marraskuu 2019

@Redshift, I'll check that account (I don't use it much).

Try to really stay away from work for those two weeks, sounds like you've been crazy busy lately. Sanity-break. I guess that's why I just work at startups, instead of creating my own. ;-)

IHaveArrived | 18. marraskuu 2019

Sounds remarkably similar to something I experienced on I-80 going east, somewhere around Colfax.

FYI: cameras always recording 10 minute loop. If incident occurs, tap Dashcam to “save last 10 minutes” (assuming drive not full)

CharleyBC | 18. marraskuu 2019

Sort of similar. I was driving north on I-5 through Stockton, CA on a stretch that had recently emerged from years of highway construction. There was still a remnant of a construction-era lane line that bent off to the left. (You know how they scoot lanes around during construction.) The car suddenly decided to follow that rather than the much straighter brand new lane line. I grabbed it.

jimglas | 18. marraskuu 2019

I dont trust NoAP in construction zones.