Forums

Using CyberTruck to charge another Tesla

Using CyberTruck to charge another Tesla

Doesn't the CT have 240V or at least 120V?
Seems like it should work. Anybody heard anything?

Xerogas | 25. marraskuu 2019

@rob: it has 240, but no word yet on amps or sine wave quality. Hope I’m using those terms appropriately

chadbobb | 25. marraskuu 2019

For the 240VAC to be usable for tools and whatnot it will need to be at least 10 amps.... which is 2400 watts if PF 1.0 and minimal THD assumed. That's enough for about 10 miles of charge per hour in a Tesla Model 3.

Seems more than reasonable assumption to me as a low-end rating. Anything less, why bother.

andy.connor.e | 26. marraskuu 2019

@Xerogas

Sine wave quality of the AC has to be good otherwise the plug wouldnt work to begin with. Current limit is whats going to matter. Having a bad quality sine wave would be like making a bulb without a filament. If you want the plug to work in the first place, it better have good AC.

Xerogas | 26. marraskuu 2019

@andy.connor.e: "Sine wave quality of the AC has to be good otherwise the plug wouldnt work to begin with"
------
Thanks. What I was trying to get across to OP was that others have tried using gasoline-powered generators with plenty of current to recharge their Teslas, and the car refused to charge. Apparently the AC was not “clean” enough, or was not properly grounded, or some other issues that caused the car to disable charging.

So basically, “yup, it’s got 240, but don’t assume it will charge a Tesla until we get confirmation from the company”

Ya the issue with the mobile generators was that there was not a solid ground connection so the car rejected the charge connection.

Xerogas | 26. marraskuu 2019

@andy.connor.e: "Ya the issue with the mobile generators was that there was not a solid ground connection so the car rejected the charge connection."
------
I can see it now: “Cybertruck comes with giant grounding stake and pile driver, so you can pound into firm soil”

I am sure that if Tesla is building this vehicle, they will design it to be able to charge another car. Tesla does not make the generators. Might not be necessary to have the solid ground, or they will just do what you have suggested. I'll take the piledriver for 200 please. Maybe it will come with multiple pile drivers so that you can lower the air suspension down to ground level and then you can ride out a tornado in this truck.