Forums

Range problems with brand new Model 3 SR+

Range problems with brand new Model 3 SR+

I have had the SR+ for less than a week. It came with 340km estimated battery (~90%).

Driving off the lot I could see the range plummet at far quicker pace than distance being driven (around 3km drop for every km driven)

Was very careful about over acceleration, too much heat and other common battery drains.

Now my odometer is 100km but the remaining estimated range is 113km (!)

To get so few km out of a brand new vehicle/battery is quite worrisome.

City driving Wh/km were in range of 250-310 which is pretty poor.

On highway I was getting down to about 200 Wh/km when driving very constant at about 90kM/hr, no heating.

Temperature here is about 4-8F so I am sure coldness is a bit of a factor but otherwise kind of alarmingly bad first impressions of range.

It will be a major hassle if I need to charge this every single day.

Tesla tech support offered no real insite other than to try resetting the car. This seemed to have little effect.

Anyone else in Vancouver or similar weather conditions have a brand new SR+ with comparable results?

Does it sound like I already need to book battery diagnostics?

stingray.don | 27. marraskuu 2019

Cold weather negatively affects range. The car expends energy heating up the battery (and the cabin if you run the heater). You will not likely see the rated range in the winter.

GHammer | 27. marraskuu 2019

Welcome to all electric driving. What you are seeing is normal. Energy usage for multiple small trips will be relatively high, particularly in cold weather. It is easier to achieve rated range on long continuous trips but usage varies with temperature, wind, and wet or snowy roads.

FISHEV | 28. marraskuu 2019

"It will be a major hassle if I need to charge this every single day."@danjel

That has become a reality for me on my 100+ mile daily commute in cooler weather. Keeping at 85% charge and 10% discharge to 232 mile range less 40 miles for cold weather to 192 then 70 mile an hour drive I have to charge at SC on way home. No home charging so it's either charge on way home or go to charger near the house when I get home on work days.

casun | 28. marraskuu 2019

“Temperature here is about 4-8F so I am sure coldness is a bit of a factor”

yes, a bit. no battery diagnostics needed. if charging every day is a major hassle, get home charging.

Bighorn | 28. marraskuu 2019

Is the car ever getting up to operating temperature or is it always fighting the cold?
Daily charging is the norm and Tesla’s recommended procedure. Having the charge complete before departure will greatly improve your efficiency. Folks who buy the car without a robust charging option only have themselves to blame for any inconveniences.

Devilstower | 28. marraskuu 2019

Those first few kilometers are ALWAYS going to look bad. You can easily hit four-figure Whr as the climate, battery, etc get warmed up. Do not think of that as any kind of reflection of a longer trip. Yes, if you’re constantly driving just a handful kilometers, you’re likely to run some bad numbers. But then, if you’re only driving such a short distance, you won’t be recharging all that often.’

I run about 120 km a day, and just plug it into a 110 outlet when I’m home. It’s ready to go in the morning — even if I burn off a little battery warming it up for me.

derotam | 28. marraskuu 2019

4-8F isn't a "bit" of a factor, it seems in your case it is THE factor. Slow speeds running the heater perfectly explains your efficiency rating.

o.vugrek | 28. marraskuu 2019

I have a Sept 2019 SR+, and 36.2.1 software, the range should be 409km (around 250 miles), according to the Tesla Webpage. Before the update, range was 379km, fully charged, after the update, nothing changed, it remains at 378-379km. The update should have increased range by 5%, but I have the same range as before the software update, so I wonder, what did the update increase? Anybody with similar views?

@o.vugrek The update did not improve range by 5%, it improved power by 5%.

@Devilstower are you sure, because I read on some Tesla forum that there will be a range increase as well, Teslarati I recall somehow

Magic 8 Ball | 28. marraskuu 2019

Musk said this:

“I mean, Model S – basic Model S at this point has a range of 370 miles. Actually, technically it's 373, but we actually certified it incorrectly as 370, but it's 373. And there are some software improvements that we think will make that even better. I forgot to mention, we're also expecting there's going to be an over-the-air improvement that will improve the power of the Model S, X, and 3. That's, by the way coming in a few weeks. Should be in the order of 5 percent power improvement due to improved firmware. Drew, do you want to say anything on that?”

Some media sources took liberty on what Musk meant.

That article is about an updated model, not any FW you would have received.

@o.vugrek That article is about an increase for new Model 3s and has nothing to do with an update to the software.

Exactly

M3phan | 28. marraskuu 2019

For anyone living in a house, if you’re spending 10s of thousands for an EV, cough up a few hundred more and install level 2 charging in your home!!

EAPme | 28. marraskuu 2019

@danjel

***It will be a major hassle if I need to charge this every single day.***

This is your issue. Not sure what you had in mind, really.

M3phan | 28. marraskuu 2019

@ EAPme, exactly. Tesla tells us to plug in everyday for battery happiness. I get home, I plug in. Easy. What’s the hassle? There is none.

wiscy67 | 28. marraskuu 2019

Agreed - my SR+ gets plugged in when I get home from my daily commute of 55 miles. I could go every 3-4 days but it's so easy to do when I get home.

I get a chuckle when I pass the crowded gas lines at Costco now of ICE folks waiting to pay $4/gal.

With my home solar my entire electric bill for the year including charging 12,000 miles will be around $250.

johnobrien | 29. marraskuu 2019

I plug in my Model 3 every evening, particularly in winter as I like to have the car warmed when I leave in the morning and it just makes sense to do that with power rather than battery. I use a regular household outlet—not 240 or more. It's like plugging in any device and is not a hassle at all, at least in our house.

johnobrien | 29. marraskuu 2019

I plug in my Model 3 every evening, particularly in winter as I like to have the car warmed when I leave in the morning and it just makes sense to do that with power rather than battery. I use a regular household outlet—not 240 or more. It's like plugging in any device and is not a hassle at all, at least in our house.