Forums

Autopilot Issues

Autopilot Issues

Just curious if anyone else is experiencing these or anything similar, and hoping I can learn more about how to use and live with this system.

Driving up from Cape Cod to Boston yesterday, I tried the autopilot for the first extended time. Two things sort I'm curious about. First, the car will not change lanes or pick an appropriate exit and take it unless I first signal for the lane change, and get the car in the correct lane for exiting. Is this how it is intended to function?

Also, and more perplexing, it seems that when a car in front changes lanes to the right or exits to the right, the car decelerates considerably and sometimes starts breaking repeatedly such that I have intervene and bring it back up to speed to avoid being rear-ended or forcing following traffic to break suddenly.

Any thoughts, insights, or advice?

-A

EVRider | 26. joulukuu 2019

A few questions:

1. Which software version do you have?
2. When you say "autopilot," do you mean Navigate on Autopilot or just Autosteer?
3. If you meant Autosteer, do you have the old Enhanced Autopilot or the newer basic Autopilot?

TomsModelS | 26. joulukuu 2019

Having similar issues with my 2020 Model S with version 2019.40.50.1 7fefc12d805a. I think your problem may be fix by "accessing Controls > Autopilot > Customize Navigate on Autopilot and TOGGLE ‘Lane Change Confirmation’ to OFF." I will find out tomorrow if that fixed it. I obtained this information from https://www.tesla.com/support/autopilot#usingautopilot.
Please let us know if it works.

TomsModelS | 26. joulukuu 2019

Having similar issues with my 2020 Model S with version 2019.40.50.1 7fefc12d805a. I think your problem may be fixed by "accessing Controls > Autopilot > Customize Navigate on Autopilot and TOGGLE ‘Lane Change Confirmation’ to OFF." I will find out tomorrow if that fixed it. I obtained this information from https://www.tesla.com/support/autopilot#usingautopilot.
Please let us know if it works.

Altieb | 28. joulukuu 2019

Driving Cape Cod to Portland today and back tomorrow. Will test. Thanks for the input!

Ver 2019.40.501.7fefc12d805a

Oops, sorry for all the posts.. I meant navigate on autopilot. The car is a 2019 brand new with 715 miles on it, current software, so I assume newest autopilot.

EVRider | 28. joulukuu 2019

@Altieb: Are you sure Navigate on Autopilot was actually enabled? It is disabled by default, so you have to explicitly enable it by pressing the Navigate on Autopilot button that appears when you’re using navigation. You can configure the Navigate on Autopilot setting so that it’s on by default.

reed_lewis | 29. joulukuu 2019

As to a car in front of you changing lanes or exiting, your car is very conservative and will never go where a car is now. The Tesla has no idea whether the car in front of you is going to actually completely exit or change lanes, so it will protect itself (and you) by not travelling to where the other car is now.

I have seen this many times. As a human we 'expect' that the car in front of us is going to exit, or change lanes so we proceed to where the other car was vacating. When the other idiot stops the lane change or exit, this is typically the cause of accidents.

reed_lewis | 29. joulukuu 2019

This is like when coming out of an intersection and the car coming toward you has their turn signal on. But at the last moment, the car decides to not turn. If you proceed into the intersection, it will cause an accident.

When I taught my daughter's and niece to drive, the first thing I said was that everyone else on the road is an idiot. It was the best advice I gave them because they knew that if they assumed the other driver was not doing what they should they can defend against bad drivers. The Tesla has to do the same thing.

sentabo | 29. joulukuu 2019

Wait a minute, I think reed_lewis just called us all idiots. :)

Good advice!

rmitchum | 29. joulukuu 2019

+1 for reed_lewis and sentabo

Two of the many TRUTHS OF LIFE

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.

Artificial intelligence may be no match for natural stupidity.

prullo | 29. joulukuu 2019

I have a problem with the autopilot when the car slows down suddenly it makes a loud noise they attempted 3 times with out success to solve the problem the service is horrible it take months to resolve any issue make no sense very discouraging

rmitchum | 29. joulukuu 2019

Point made

tdfjones | 15. tammikuu 2020

I have a different issue. Today when I got in my model 3 there was no autopilot or cruise control at all. The screen had no speed limits posted or auto steer icons, no lane markings, no recognition of other cars - it was like the cameras weren’t connected? Everything else was working, except when I put in an address where I usually get the blue ‘navigate with autopilot’ there was nothing. Just basic Nav. Any suggestions? I’ve tried the screen reset and the full reset... help?!

TabascoGuy | 15. tammikuu 2020

@rmitchum - don't bother trying to keep track of examples of those truths...

steve | 15. tammikuu 2020

Tdfjones: Usually a reboot to care of these issues. I I have found just like computers when you have an issue, reboot.

EVRider | 15. tammikuu 2020

@tdfjones: You might have better luck in the Model 3 forum, but when was your Model 3 produced, and if it was before basic AP became standard, did you purchase EAP or FSD? Some Model 3 owners ended up with free EAP by mistake, and Tesla is fixing that.

Mi75d | 18. tammikuu 2020

Take a look at what's possible in cars - see this video of an autonomous Cruise car driving around in San Francisco for an hour. Yes, I'm sure there's a person ready to take over. Just watch it.

https://youtu.be/bjTGEHYO-5s

Well, Tesla? For a $500 per share stock valuation, I'm hoping that you've been making progress.

avesraggiana | 18. tammikuu 2020

@reed_lewis. The car may be conservative and not go where another car is now, but in my recent experience, my car will merge into a lane at about the same point where another vehicle is merging into that same spot in that lane from the opposite side. While driving in NoAP mode, with Auto Lane Change mode engaged, I had to intervene very quickly to prevent my car from getting into a side-by-side collision with the other car.

The other driver, with her left blinker on, was completely oblivious to the impending crash that I prevented from happening.

The autopilot is really a driver's aid only, and must be watched constantly.

avesraggiana | 18. tammikuu 2020

Model S75D, March 2017 build, with not-the-latest update - even though our other newer Tesla, built in late 2018, got the latest update a few weeks ago.