Forums

Tesla App Question

Tesla App Question

Yesterday I noticed for the 1st time on the app a media area where you can adjust the volume and skip songs. Today I can’t find it anywhere on the app. Does anyone have the media on their app and where on the app can I find it?
Thanks

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 04. tammikuu 2020

kdgrotz,
You must have been in your car when you noticed this. The media controller on the Tesla app is only available while you are in the car.

jordanrichard | 04. tammikuu 2020

This is one of the app features that I have no clue as to why it is there. What practical purpose does this serve?

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 04. tammikuu 2020

@jordanrichard,
Its so your teenager can control the music (noise) from the back seat.

jordanrichard | 05. tammikuu 2020

Because it is soooooo difficult for your teenager to ask you to say “play Taylor Swift”.

The way I look at it, the one that is literally in the driver’s seat is in the driver’s seat. It just seems to be a lot of steps, downloading the app on to your teenager’s phone, logging in and handing them the phone back, just so they can request a song when again, you can just say “....play Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, etc.”

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 05. tammikuu 2020

Yeah, I was mainly joking because I can’t think of a good reason to control the music from the Tesla app. Maybe it’s a holdover function from the dark ages. The car’s UI is definitely better since I got my 3 in Dec ‘18. Not sure how it was prior to that.

EVRider | 05. tammikuu 2020

I’m with jordanrichard on this one. The remote media control feature, which was added in V9, seems like a solution looking for a problem. Maybe Elon’s kids asked for it.

jordanrichard | 05. tammikuu 2020

It reminds me of what I have seen in reviews of cars like RR, Bentley etc where the rear passengers can control the radio from the back seat. It’s like just how lazy can you be to not say, “....can you put on WPLR”. A RR is not a 10 passenger stretched limo where the driver can’t easily hear the person sitting all the way in back.

TeslaTap.com | 05. tammikuu 2020

Actually the feature was intended for the long-gone Executive seat option. The concept being the Model S being used as a chauffeured vehicle, and when equipped with the executive rear seat option, the rear-seat occupant would control the entertainment.

My guess, since they created the function, they left it available even when the executive seat option was discontinued. Now if I can just get a chauffeur to work for free, I'll try the feature out from the back seat of my car :)

EVRider | 05. tammikuu 2020

@TeslaTap: I don't think that's the reason. The executive seat option was long gone by the time V9 was introduced, and that feature was new for V9.

TeslaTap.com | 05. tammikuu 2020

You could be right, I just figured it took longer than expected and/or was moved to a low priority once the exec seat option was discontinued. From personal experience, software development often takes far longer than first expected. I doubt we'll ever know!

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 05. tammikuu 2020

I’ve got it! Control music with app while Glamping!