Forums

Stop LIGHT warning is actually useful with 2019.40.50.7

Stop LIGHT warning is actually useful with 2019.40.50.7

Stop light warning was nice, but practically useless in the previous versions. The alarm would sound too late to be useful.

Today I tried it multiple times in safe circumstances. The alert sounded early enough for me to react gracefully. The car sounded the alarm 250-300 feet away from the intersection - much improved since before.

I'm pleased that this improvement works great for HW2.5. i expect HW3 to do even better.

goodman | 04. tammikuu 2020

Are you sure you're on HW2.5? I wasn't aware of any stop light recognition of any kind on HW2.5.

hannes | 04. tammikuu 2020

@goodman - We don't have the visualization, but the warning is there, although it was so late as to be useless in previous versions.

EVRider | 04. tammikuu 2020

Correct, the "warn me if I'm going to run a red light" feature was added a while ago and does not require HW3. It only works when you're using Autopilot (not sure if it works with just TACC enabled).

vmulla | 04. tammikuu 2020

@hannes, @EVrider +1

I'll experiment on this feature with TACC sometime soon.

leo33 | 04. tammikuu 2020

It wasn't completely useless on HW2.5 even before this update. It very likely saved me from my own stupidity and an accident once. (I still wouldn't intentionally depend on it, of course.)

@leo33,
True. I'm sure you'll agree it's now more reliable and detects a hazard from further out.

If someone could share what happens with TACC and with amber lights I'd appreciate it. Thanks

leo33 | 04. tammikuu 2020

@vmulla I haven't been stupid enough to need it with this version of the firmware. Also, I haven't intentionally tried it out, but I believe what you are telling us. You are a pretty reliable source of information. :-) I might go out and try to safely replicate your experiments later.

The alerts do NOT work with amber lights.
I was lucky to encounter those situations to test today.

@leo33. Thanks :)

spuzzz123 | 04. tammikuu 2020

Hw 2.5 Have never seen a warning or indication that my car recognizes a stop sign or light

@spuzzz123, It only happens when you're about to run a stoplight. It does not do anything at stop signs. (My input is HW2.5 specific)

The car sometimes just gives a small brake action just before approaching an intersection, not enough to slow you down in a meaningful way, but enough for the driver to feel the sensation of braking. This is great if the driver is distracted. I love that feature, it's almost like Tesla is experimenting on giving subtle alerts to the driver that aren't just audio/visual. I hope that they make that 'micro-braking' before intersections standard and more reliable.

fpickel | 11. tammikuu 2020

Colorblind men are 7% to 8% of the male population. From color-blindness.com, "Deutan color vision deficiencies are by far the most common forms of color blindness. This subtype of red-green color blindness is found in about 6% of the male population, mostly in its mild form deuteranomaly."

From enchroma.com, "Deutan color blindness (also known as deuteranomaly) is a type of red-green color blindness in which the green cones in the eye detect too much red light and not enough green light. As a result, red, yellow, green, and brown can appear similar, especially in low light"

The reds and greens used on the stoplights need to be much brighter to overcome this on the stoplight visualizations. .Or the active light, red or green, needs a white surround. Please!

EVRider | 11. tammikuu 2020

@fpickel: Submit your suggestion to Tesla. We can't help you here. Use the Contact link below.

stingray.don | 11. tammikuu 2020

fpickel,

The visualizations are just a preview to the FSD capability. They aren’t a functional requirement and can be turned off if desired.

jdcollins5 | 11. tammikuu 2020

I have tried the stop sign warning ar least a dozen times with no warning. 50.7 and 2.5.

vmulla | 11. tammikuu 2020

jdcollins5 | January 11, 2020
I have tried the stop sign warning ar least a dozen times with no warning. 50.7 and 2.5.
---
I can prove it works. Are you ready to share videos?

FISHEV | 11. tammikuu 2020

"It only works when you're using Autopilot (not sure if it works with just TACC enabled)."

TACC is AutoPilot.

@jdcollins5,
BTW It's not a challenge - I believe you, we need to learn from each other where it works and where it doesn't

EVRider | 11. tammikuu 2020

@FISHEV: I meant to say it only works when you're using Autosteer, not Autopilot. "Autopilot" is ambiguous, but I think when most people say Autopilot, they mean either Autosteer or Navigate on Autopilot.

jdcollins5 | 11. tammikuu 2020

@vmulla - Haha. I do not doubt it works for you. I have seen other videos of it working. I have all but run into an empty intersection but no alarm.

I have had Stop Light Warning to work but not Stop Light Warning.

pjwheeler83 | 11. tammikuu 2020

Can confirm, have HW 2.5 and have noticed AP freak out if i pass through an intersection with a yellow light

Scrannel | 11. tammikuu 2020

I am red/green color blind, mildest form. When I got my pilot's license was restricted to daylight flight until they gave me a projected light test, which I passed, So I can see red, orange and green projected lights, like a stop light, but not on paper. Because of this I also have enhanced tonal vision,

@jdcollins5,
Just sharing the scenarios where it works for me.
- the intersection is wide and clear of other lights that could confuse the system
- there are no other cars ahead of mine, not even in the adjacent lane
- AP is engaged, and I am putting some pressure on the steering wheel
- I'm not disengaging AP by braking as I approach the intersection.

Under these circumstances I'm getting a warning about 200/300 ft from the intersection

jdcollins5 | 12. tammikuu 2020

@vmulla -Thanks for sharing your scenarios. What type of streets are you driving? Residential, city, two lane, four lane?

Our city streets typically have stop light and not stop sign. I can only find side streets with stop signs. I have tried the AP at low speeds and speed limit with no success.

vmulla | 12. tammikuu 2020

@jdcollins5,
For safety I'm only trying this at multi lane intersections that have cross walks. I need a wide field of view with in new development areas that have enough space for a margin of error.

jdcollins5 | 17. tammikuu 2020

@vmulla - It has taken some time but I finally found a multi-lane intersection with wide crosswalks like you described above. I had TACC + AutoSteer engaged at 25 mph. I went right up to and past the stop sign and ended up in the crosswalk. I never received a stop sign warning.

vmulla | 17. tammikuu 2020

@jdcollins5,
Oh no! :(
I've never tried it at that speed, my speeds were higher. But anyway, your circumstance should have triggered the alarm. I guess like anything else about Tesla, it might not be perfect but it's getting there slowly.

@vmulla - What speed have you been traveling? I wondered if there was a minimum speed. Maybe I need to try it at a higher speed.

@jdcollins5,
The intersections that have worked for me are preceded by a 45mph zone, I typically have my AP set a 50mph.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to watch what you're doing at this speed. I have a good view of the intersection and the roads leading up to the intersections for about 500ft on every side (at least). The good thing about using the same intersections over and over again for testing is that I'm able to observe the reliability/usability/utility of the system improve.

@vmulla - I have not been able to find a 45 mph intersection with stop sign. All of ours at that speed are stop lights. The one I found was in a business park with 25 mph speed limit that intersected with a 45 mph street.

Oh yea, I agree with having a good view and awareness when approaching these intersections.

cmh95628 | 17. tammikuu 2020

@vmulla
on 1/4/20 you said: It does not do anything at stop signs. (My input is HW2.5 specific)
on 1/11/20 you said "I can prove it [stop sign warning] works. Are you ready to share videos?

Did it start working in this one week? I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, just want to understand better. TIA.

@cmh95628,
It was working for a few months now. Earlier it was giving the alarm too late to be of practical use - it would sound at the signal, the distance at which the alarm would sound improved over time. I'm sharing that the warning is early enough to be useful now.

@cmh95628,
I see what you're saying now. I was talking about stop lights, NOT stop signs. I see where the confusion stemmed from, but even on the same day I shared that the system doesn't work for stop signs. Good catch BTW.

Reference:

vmulla | January 4, 2020
@spuzzz123, It only happens when you're about to run a stoplight. It does not do anything at stop signs. (My input is HW2.5 specific)

@vmulla - Are you saying now that you meant Stop Light warning is working but not Stop Sign?

leo33 | 17. tammikuu 2020

@vmulla I have fsd, but still with v2.5 hw and 40.50.7 fw. I confirmed that stop light warning is goinf off s little earlier now. Also, I noticed that in addition to stop light warning, stop sign warning often works. (I think I had AP on at 30, 35 mph or so when stop sign warning triggered.)

leo33 | 17. tammikuu 2020

"Going off a little earlier." (Fat fingers, and small phone keyboard.)

vmulla | 18. tammikuu 2020

@jdcollins5,
Stop sign warning never worked for me, and I did not test it much.

@Leo33,
Nice. But perhaps you should start another thread to discuss stop signs. I can see how discussing lights and signs in the same thread can be dangerous :(

jdcollins5 | 18. tammikuu 2020

@vmulla - OK but didn’t this thread start out as a stop sign thread?

The Stop Light Warning has been working for some time now.

vmulla | 18. tammikuu 2020

@jdcollins5,
The thread was about improved stop light warning from the beginning. Yes the warning was working earlier than 50.7, but it was not useful in the practical sense because the alarm sounded too late.

KLemMer | 24. tammikuu 2020

For the owners in the EU : of course all this beauty does not work in the EU, due to overregulation by the bureaucrats in Brussels. FSD has been rendered useless in the EU, but Tesla does sell it for a mere 6k Euros, not stating you buy crippled functionality.

stebo1 | 24. tammikuu 2020

I believe it is detecting the crosswalk, not the lights if you are on 2.5

vmulla | 24. tammikuu 2020

stebo1 | January 24, 2020
I believe it is detecting the crosswalk, not the lights if you are on 2.5
---
No, it detects lights even without a crosswalk. I'll upload pictures of spots where the system works on HW2.5