Forums

Which SCE (Socal Edison) Plan benefits the most going solar?

Which SCE (Socal Edison) Plan benefits the most going solar?

Question for all Socal Solar owners. SCE continues to outwit solar folks by jacking up the peak rates to ensure you dont benefit much from going solar. Those who are not grandfathered in on higher credit rate from Edison and are forced into their new TOU rates. there are three choices.
1. TOU-D Prime - 12 cents throughout, and 38 Cents 4-9 PM peak hours.
2. TOU-D - 23 cents throughout, and 38 cents 4-9 PM peak hours.
3. TOU 5-8 PM - 23 cents throughout, 41 cents 4-8 PM Peak hours.

I am sure based on your production you must have figured out which plan gets most benefit to offset peak costs.

Those with powerwall need not reply as PW would help tremendously but payoff is little to nothing on it as of today.

Passion2Fly | 29. tammikuu 2020

It's hard to tell without knowing your household consumption...
Do you own an EV? What is your monthly charge (kWh)?

Without an EV, I would probably consider the plan with the smallest delta between peak and off peak, i.e. TOU-D.

gregbrew | 29. tammikuu 2020

What you're ignoring (which is why SCE did it) are the fixed daily fees. You may have to dig to find them in the TOU tariffs. They pretty much negate the benefit of TOU, depending on usage. Retired, with two EVs, 5kW of PV, and two PWs and has us remaining on Residential Tiered, because we were grandfathered in. New installations aren't so lucky. You really need to set up a spreadsheet to compare rates for your usage model, including the fixed daily fees.

Electric rates in SCE-land are really quite confusing, and I'm convinced that SCE did this on purpose.

infofiles | 30. tammikuu 2020

my annual usage last year was 10,500 KWH, this year I expect to charge model 3 50% of time, rest at work, so that would be 2000 KWH annually, total guessing with splurging due to solar around 13000 to 14000 KWH.

with Net Metering 2, a lot of fixed fees were outlawed in CA.

Doug n Evie | 06. helmikuu 2020

Considering solar...

I also noticed, I think, that the TOU-Prime just went up. Wasn't it $0.11 and $0.12 in the non-4To9 time?

If I got solar and powerwalls, kept SCE (just in case) but didn't really need any of their electrons, what would be the 'base' fee to still be connected to SCE? In a case like that, is TOU-Prime the wrong plan?

*I have an EV that I currently charge at night, because it's cheaper per SCE plan and because that's when it's not being used. If I am on Solar, with Powerwall, would night charging work just fine? I'm guessing Powerwall would be charged during the day, and I'd use it at night, rather than using the solar direct from the panels?

Passion2Fly | 06. helmikuu 2020

it looks like TOU-D-Prime has a basic daily charge of $0.40/day. That's about $12/month...

gregbrew | 06. helmikuu 2020

Double-check, but I'm not sure that you can legally "disconnect" from SCE and pay them zero.

infofiles | 06. helmikuu 2020

Powerwall iN So Cal is not worth it and may never payoff. I did lots of calculations.

go a bit bigger solar, 24-40% bigger solar than your current needs, cost would me $2.7/W on solar less 26% Federal credit. with SCE Netmetering 2, fixed costs would add up to $150 max/year. Then you get 3 cents credit for every KWH not used but you feed back to system. this would be enough to offset fixed costs. But definitely go 25% to 50% bigger in system. If you are in Nor Cal and get blackouts, then there is no comparison to convenience of Power wall.

Battery technology is changing and Powerwall is too expensive with 10-yr warranty only.
I did the math and here is my findings:
TOU-Prime -best if you have EV, but if you get solar, dont go with this.

Go with TOU-D, that is 39 cents 4-9 PM, 23 cents rest of the time. If you know your usage by Peak and Offpeak, you can do the math your self. You will generate way more during the day and bank at 23 cents and 39 cents in summer during peak 4-6 PM. in the end 12-month Trueup, you will come way ahead on TOU-D vs. TOU-Prime.

Of Course, with or without Solar, one should limit use of appliances that suck electricity between 4-9 PM, common sense.

gregbrew | 07. helmikuu 2020

Most utilities will disallow a system bigger than 110% of your historical consumption, and part of the Tesla requirements and municipal permit process is to get approval from your utility.