Forums

390 mile range.

390 mile range.

Check out the order page

NKYTA | 14. helmikuu 2020

Seems lower for my 2012 S.
;-)

barrykmd | 14. helmikuu 2020

Since charging is so slow now, they'd better come up with a 1000 mile battery.

PrescottRichard | 14. helmikuu 2020

Paging Dr. Downer, Dr. Debbie Downer...

C’mon, can’t you celebrate 390? I hope the limited regen / charging you’re seeing gets fixed soon.

Tropopause | 14. helmikuu 2020

I see the Performance S hasn't changed yet.

The LR X is 351 now.

How'd they do it?

Darthamerica | 14. helmikuu 2020

The wheels.

It’s just EPA ratings, Elon said something about having the cars re-evaluated after the latest software improvements on the Raven models. That’s my understanding.

It’s a 4.5% bump. There is enough head room in the battery for that and SW tweaks. But it’s the EPA estimate so take it with a grain of salt. 45% and 55% split between city and highway driving below 60mph. In real life it’s about 320 to 360 miles depending on how you drive. Longer if you hypermile.

Bighorn | 14. helmikuu 2020

It's Long Range Plus. Plus is more.

Just saw an Electrek article that explains there are new wheels, but the + moniker was added so the EPA could re-evaluate the car and that software updates are going to go out to existing Raven (I’m guessing) cars. Seems odd, maybe I didn’t understand it all but whatever!

I’d post the link here but it seems to me that threads with links wind up getting spammed with more links :( Here’s a quote from the article-

“ Update: It looks like the “Plus” designation is nothing particularly new after all. Tesla CEO Elon Musk said tonight that “All S/X cars made in recent months have actually been above stated EPA range. Will be unlocked soon for free via software update”

He said all cars made in recent months. Not sure if that means from when “Raven” was released or if they added something. Hard to tell now without seeing the energy consumption graph since they don’t advertise the battery capacity anymore.

Pretty interesting timing. This range really doesn’t change anything but people well read this as “almost” or “about” 400 miles. Makes me wonder if we are still a year + out from a significant update and this is just to keep some buzz around Model S/X until a more tangible meaningful update.

Bighorn | 14. helmikuu 2020

So then the “Plus” makes more sense. Bighorn you’re a frequent road trip person. This interest you?

Bighorn | 15. helmikuu 2020

I suspect this is probably an anti-Osborne effort. I'm still holding out for the Maxwell news. I imagine I'll hold onto my next car for a spell because I'd hate to be on the wrong side of a cusp in battery tech. I guess calling it something different was the only way to get an EPA update. Plus I stick to my aged car for trips so the dog can be along for the ride. She's coming to the end though, I think.

tes-s | 15. helmikuu 2020

"The wheels."

The wheels on the X did not change.

He also said 400 miles may be possible with a wheel change now.

Darthamerica | 15. helmikuu 2020

Bighorn that’s what I’m worried about now. I got out of my P85+ a year too soon and missed HW2.0/2.5.

NKYTA | 15. helmikuu 2020

Sad news BH. :-/

SamO | 15. helmikuu 2020

Wait until April for Battery Day. And give Macy a good petting for me.

PatientFool | 15. helmikuu 2020

increased range, faster charging, and lower price are the three things that'll most likely make me sell my S and buy another. the current Raven essentially has all three vs my S75D but not yet significantly enough to move me. the good news is if you just stay patient they'll eventually get there incrementally :). Can't wait for battery day. Should be super interesting.

raffidesigns | 15. helmikuu 2020

The range increase has nothing to do with the wheels. You can gain perhaps an additional 5 miles with the right wheel/tires but not 17 for the model S and defiantly not 21 Miles for Model X.

It is a mix of beautiful software/engineering with the motors. Tesla's engineers are gods. They have managed to make the same battery 100 Kw pack that has been in circulation for years and turn it into a 400 mile monster. No pedal driving plays a part to. Tesla is taking a page out of Apple's playbook. The iPhone has for years shipped with the smallest battery, but gains better battery life then the competition.

That’s not so. Wheels have a lot of impact on range. It’s not just the wheels but they matter a lot more than 5 miles. 5 miles would be within measurement error.

@Darth
You might have to suck this one up and admit to your first factual error:)

tes-s | 15. helmikuu 2020

"The wheels."
"Wheels have a lot of impact on range."

No change in the wheels on the X, so I don't understand the logic that leads to the conclusion it is the wheels.

Wheels have an affect on range loss. The larger the wheel, the less range you get. A model X LR with 20" wheels will have different range then a Model X LR with 22". The tires however could play a factor. With the right PPI, you can get good efficient range. (it also says so in the manual. Page 87 & 194).

TeslaTap.com | 15. helmikuu 2020

Seems like if we go with a 0" wheel we get infinite range :)

Goodyear has been working on a Tire/Wheel package specifically for EV's since 2018 that can boost range significantly.

Bighorn I gladly would but how do? All I said was “the wheels” and that they make a difference.

I read it to mean that was how the S added 17 miles to the EPA range. It was multi factorial at a minimum and nothing to to do wheels potentially. The 400 mile comment from EM suggests the latter. No shame. We all make mistakes.

I was just noting that there were new wheels as I was looking at the update in real time. I hadn’t seen that when I looked at the site earlier. I do think they may offer aero improvements. I wasn’t suggesting that’s all they did. I also mentioned SW and battery head room.

jimglas | 15. helmikuu 2020

Pretty soon it will have as good range as “taycan”

Tldickerson | 15. helmikuu 2020

jimglas, you just don't want to pay the price for Taycan. Some people do just because they like the looks and styling of the car. Range isn't everything these days.

RedShift | 15. helmikuu 2020

@tldickerson is right.

I believe Porsche’s next EV will have even less range and be priced around $250K or so, to appeal to those who like dropping more cash in return for less range.

Tldickerson | 15. helmikuu 2020

@RedShift, you could be right but I doubt it. LOL

I have driven the Taycan. Car handles very well and all, but the range is definitely an issue.

They could have halved it and the car would be perfect. As it stands, it goes 192-300 miles depending on who you ask. That’s too much range.

That’s why they are having so much trouble moving product.

That’s more than enough range outside of corner cases. And DC fast charging can deal with those. It’s not often people will drive more than 100 miles in a day. Driving 390 miles even less.

And ‘racing’? How often do people do that?

Not often. And when they do they are looking for a car that is built to be competitive on the track vs one that’s built for long distance travel. Redshift just drop this illogical argument you keep trying to make. It’s silly. Tesla is selling mass market cars to cover the majority of use cases. Range is important in that context to break the psychological barrier of range anxiety that comes from people moving to a BEV from an ICEV who now have to plan their lives around the limits of EVs. That’s why Tesla is doing this. It’s their way of marketing. Not that there’s a practical difference between 373 miles and 390 miles of EPA range. Porsche is going after people who want exclusivity or a luxury high performance car. It’s a different crowd. These drivers are not going to care about price or their car only having ~225-290 miles of range. They won’t care because it won’t matter day to day. And on a road trip they’ll have DC fast charging. You can see the Taycan owner currently on his 10,000 mile road trip thoroughly enjoying himself. You’re making up a problem that only exist in your own mind.

See for yourself: https://youtu.be/Ioe21EGSiJc

It’s really funny how some Tesla owners get range anxiety because of Taycan!

There is no ‘range anxiety’ induced by a Taycan in Tesla owners. It might be induced in Taycan owners, though.

BTW, Taycan is not a no-compromises track car. It has several serious compromises.

1. Curb weight, at 5200+ lbs, that’s a joke, to cal, it a track car;

2. The short range that makes it mandatory to do 1-2 laps, get out of the track in search of a charger, fill up, and then back again.

3. By using an air suspension, there is not even a presence that this is a track oriented car. It’s a decent suspension, ‘telegraphing’ the road imperfections in an artificial way, but a damn good simulation, nevertheless.

Only a wannabe ‘racer’ like Darth would consider this a sports car built for the track. Only wannabe like him. :-D

Redshift you’re so traumatized by Taycan being able to outperform your Model 3 that you can’t help but to talk about it in an unrelated thread.

Yes, that’s it. You are a genius, in addition to being a Rolex wearing ‘racer’.

It must be such a party inside your head!

BTW,

If you remember, I specifically mentioned that the Taycan can’t do a single thing that’s better than my 3 after testing them back to back. It is both heavier and more artificial. It’s staid while the 3 is lively. It is cramped while my smaller 3 is more spacious. My 3 has more feel in the steering than the Taycan. 3 has so much more range.

Taycan designers should be embarrassed they created such a large car and managed to make it so cramped.

I enjoy watching you fanboys flailing around completely unable to defend your ignorance.

Of the two of us, I am the only one has driven both the Taycan and the 3 back to back. That too, both cars were driven at 8/10s or 9/10s.

If anyone is ignorant, it is you.

If you want to believe that go right ahead...

Chunky Jr. | 16. helmikuu 2020

Given the run in TSLA, this is the catalyst for me to upgrade to a new S. I got the green light from spouse, now just waiting a few months to see if perhaps there is more info about plaid or other h/w changes.

Bighorn | 19. helmikuu 2020
SamO | 19. helmikuu 2020

I saw that . . . 10% larger battery means another 39 miles?