Forums

Dashcam viewer in car coming soon !

Dashcam viewer in car coming soon !

Joshan | 03. huhtikuu 2020

Sweet! I am pleasantly surprised.

hokiegir1 | 03. huhtikuu 2020

I'm also interesting in whatever it says for "Out of Order Supercharger Stalls". There have been a number of good suggestions for that, so it'll be nice to see how it's been implemented.

jallred | 03. huhtikuu 2020

Good catch hokiegir1.

WW_spb | 03. huhtikuu 2020

Got to love being Tesla owner.

EVRider | 03. huhtikuu 2020

Just started a thread about this in the General forum: https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/2020125-adding-ability-view-dashca...

Kary993 | 03. huhtikuu 2020

feel sorry for all those folks that built apps to view the video......

M3phan | 03. huhtikuu 2020

@ Kary993, nah, they provided a servcie and made some
Cash. I knew Tesla would do this. No brainer. Can’t wait to try it out!!

vmulla | 03. huhtikuu 2020

Joshan | April 3, 2020
Sweet! I am pleasantly surprised.

----
Sweet! is right, but not really surprised. It was kinda expected, right? The next step would be those videos showing up on the phone and being uploaded to the cloud -Ring alarm style.

EVRider | 03. huhtikuu 2020

@Kary993: Don't feel sorry for anyone until we see how well the Tesla version works.

Kary993 | 03. huhtikuu 2020

@EVRider - good point....hope it is more full featured rather than half baked.

M3phan | 03. huhtikuu 2020

From the description it’ll get the job done, then I’m sure tweaks will improve it. Kinda like everything else we love about our cars software.

marinergreg | 04. huhtikuu 2020
spuzzz123 | 04. huhtikuu 2020

I wonder how many sourpusses will consider this a frivolous ota update that distracts Dev team from “real” improvements they should be working on?

EVRider | 04. huhtikuu 2020

@spuzzz123: Not this time. This has probably been the most requested feature since the dashcam was introduced.

Hookm36 | 04. huhtikuu 2020

What kind of USB drive are you guys using?

gmr6415 | 04. huhtikuu 2020

So where are all the nay-sayers who said this wouldn't/couldn't happen...too complicated...coding would be too difficult...would use too much computing power that the car doesn't have...?

@Hookm36 SSD hard drive. https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/portable-drives/g-technology-g-...

I've had it for about 6 months now and haven't had an issue since I formatted it and plugged it in. I have 3 partitions. One for music. One for Dashcam/sentry mode. One for audio books.

I was worried about the heat living in FL but haven't had a glitch.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 04. huhtikuu 2020

“ The next step would be those videos showing up on the phone and being uploaded to the cloud -Ring alarm style.”

That would use an awful lot of bandwidth. Maybe MMW 5G enables cars will come soon.

@M-A-B-MCMLXXX, To some extent the video files are (may) already being sent to Tesla servers. I guess that would be considered the cloud.

From the owners' manual:

Note: When the Alarm state is triggered, the
most recent six seconds prior to the security
event may be sent to Tesla for temporary
backup for approximately 72 hours. You can
enable or disable the collection of this video
at any time by touching "DATA

Yes, for sure, but that's sentry, which records short clips periodically. Dashcam is way more data.

@M-A-B-MCMLXXX, Agreed, but it's a step in that direction. I would assume those sentry files that are being saved by Tesla are more for feeding the neural net than for preservation for the owner.

The first step for dash cam could be to send the files for preservation when an accident is detected or when the owner manually saves the files for one reason or another. They wouldn't need to be streamed to the cloud continuously.

Kary993 | 04. huhtikuu 2020

Tesla can give us a subscription monthly for the additional feature to upload to our phone for example. Just another revenue stream like the premium data monthly subscription.

“ it's a step in that direction. ”

Agreed.

EVRider | 04. huhtikuu 2020

@gmr6415: Not sure which naysayers you're referring to, but a multi-camera dashcam viewer is not trivial to implement, which is probably why we haven't seen it until now.

Regarding power usage, I don't know why viewing dashcam footage on the touchscreen would require any more power than viewing any other video. Sentry Mode does use a lot of power, but that's because the AP computer is constantly analyzing the video from each camera, it has nothing to do with recording the video.

“ Sentry Mode does use a lot of power, but that's because the AP computer is constantly analyzing the video from each camera, it has nothing to do with recording the video.”

Is that known? I figured the energy loss associated with sentry was due to the requirement that the car stay awake.

@EVRider, Computer power...CPU computations, not the actual current needed to run the computer. That's what at least one if not more of the naysayers stated months ago.

EVRider | September 12, 2019
Tesla hasn't announced any plans to make it possible to view Sentry Mode/dashcam video on the touchscreen. Yes, it would be nice, but no one knows if/when it will happen.

The only people who think it "can't be that hard" to add software features are people who never wrote commercial software. :-)

EVRider | 05. huhtikuu 2020

@gmr6415: I stand by that statement. People often post comments about it should be “trivial” for Tesla to implement some particular feature. It’s never trivial.

Regarding the power requirements, TeslaTap posted some specific figures at one point, which might me in one of his articles, but I’m not going to look now. The point was that the AP computer uses a lot of power, but just recording video does not. Sentry Mode requires both. Even when the car stays awake, the battery drain is much lower without Sentry Mode.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 05. huhtikuu 2020

"The point was that the AP computer uses a lot of power"

The Tesla SOCs, of which there are 2 for redundancy, draw 72 watts. Let's SWAG the rest of the system, which includes a GPU and three ARM processors, at 200 watts. In the context of an EV, I don't think that's particularly significant.

Kary993 | 05. huhtikuu 2020

Has anyone received this update yet? I have not and I usually get then quickly.

Frank99 | 05. huhtikuu 2020

M-A-B-MCMLXXX -
200 watts, times 24 hours a day, is 4.8 kwh, which is 6.5% of battery capacity per day. Aternatively, you could view it as 20 miles of range per day.

I'd call that significant.

Sure, over time if the AP computer is being taxed at 100%, energy use will become significant. I doubt most people use sentry 100% of the time, and I doubt sentry taxes the AP computer at 100%.

Of course I fully admit I’m merely speculating.

stingray.don | 05. huhtikuu 2020

Kary993,

There are no instances of 2020.12.5 showing up on TeslaFi yet. TeslaFi does not represent the entire fleet, but once it starts rolling out, it will show up.

https://teslafi.com/firmware/

EVRider | 05. huhtikuu 2020

@M-A-B-MCMLXXX: Sentry Mode uses 1-2 miles of range per hour when enabled, which most people would consider significant, especially if you're parked away from home for an extended period.

TeslaTap's article on processors (https://teslatap.com/articles/autopilot-processors-and-hardware-mcu-hw-d...) says the estimated power requirement is 300W for HW2.5 and 220W for HW3.

Kary993 | 05. huhtikuu 2020

@stingray.don - thanks!

EVRider,
For sure, I’m just questioning whether it’s due to the processing or the necessity to keep the car awake.

EVRider | 06. huhtikuu 2020

@M-A-B: I answered that earlier, but the car doesn’t lose nearly that much range when Sentry Mode is disabled and the car stays awake.

For example, TeslaFi shows that the last time my Model S was awake for an extended period while parked at home, with Sentry disabled, my car lost just over a mile of range in about 6 hours. Not sure why my car was awake for 6 hours, but that’s a separate issue.

FISHEV | 06. huhtikuu 2020

spuzzz123 | April 4, 2020 I wonder how many sourpusses will consider this a frivolous ota update that distracts Dev team from “real” improvements they should be working on?"

Good point.

I've only used the Dashcam pics once in a year and that was at Tesla request to document that Lane Keeping doesn't work which Tesla confirmed while noting that the non-working Lane Keeping was "Within Normal Limits".

Are people constantly viewing miles and miles of nothing?

Now upgrading to make Lane Keeping work would be a better use of programming time.

teslamazing | 06. huhtikuu 2020

Dashcam viewer has been a pretty common request among Tesla folks. Great job on the dev team for creating this feature!

jallred | 06. huhtikuu 2020

Are people constantly viewing miles and miles of nothing?-jack

Yeah. Constantly.

Joshan | 06. huhtikuu 2020

gmr6415 | April 4, 2020
@EVRider, Computer power...CPU computations, not the actual current needed to run the computer. That's what at least one if not more of the naysayers stated months ago.

Are they planning on viewing sentry videos while driving (that would be illegal)? Not sure how CPU usage when parked watching a video is a concern.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 06. huhtikuu 2020

@EV I answered that earlier, but the car doesn’t lose nearly that much range when Sentry Mode is disabled and the car stays awake."

Fair enough.

Cactusone | 06. huhtikuu 2020

Glad to finally have the Dashcam Viiewer....I hate that I was becoming conditioned to ignore the “Sentry Events”.

My last wish is to have the option to disable the auto walk away lock feature - while parked in my home garage.
Yeah, yeah I can create another profile and etc etc...I just want my smart car to be smarter and do it automatically.

Fish and BIg...fire away

gmr6415 | 06. huhtikuu 2020

@EVRider, "I stand by that statement. People often post comments about it should be “trivial” for Tesla to implement some particular feature. It’s never trivial."

I don't think it's trivial either. Although I ended up going into business management after being a diesel technician for almost 25 years I have a degree in computer application development (more so flow charts than coding), but I did learn visual basic, C, C++ and object oriented C++, so I do have some understanding of what's involved. That was over 20 years ago, and no I never did coding on commercial software, and today I don't think I could write workable code if a had to.

I guess the way I look at these implementations is that Tesla is a company on the leading edge of FSD technology that has written software to analyze the pixellation data (I'm assuming) from video (actually many still images) in order to recognize various vehicles, pedestrians, bicycles, traffic cones, etc., render them on the touchscreen in proper location as compared to where your car is in the scheme of things and use that data to calculate responses that the car will implement.

When you look at that sort of programming ability a dashcam/sentry mode viewer seems very doable. After adding video to the web browser a few updates ago, knowing the dashcam/sentry mode data was stored onto a drive plugged into a data port, it wasn't much of a leap to see at some point a viewer was the next step.

lbowroom | 06. huhtikuu 2020

Lane keeping works fine, but you know, AP is the tool to keep you centered in the lane while you drive....

EVRider | 06. huhtikuu 2020

@gmr6415: We know it's doable, since they did it, though we have yet to see how well they did it. :-)

Most of the advanced features in our cars are related to actually driving them, which in my opinion is the right priority. None of the features related to the USB system have been particularly impressive, and both USB media playback and video recording have had issues from day one. I'm glad Tesla finally tackled the dashcam viewer, but let's see how well it works. Having a dashcam viewer is only useful if the dashcam is actually recording when it's supposed to be.

gmr6415 | 06. huhtikuu 2020

@EVRider, "We know it's doable, since they did it, though we have yet to see how well they did it. :-)"

You should know from past experience it will be glitchy at first and people will do a lot of complaining. Then they [Tesla] will collect data and improve it over time. In 6 months it will work well.

"Having a dashcam viewer is only useful if the dashcam is actually recording when it's supposed to be."

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones and haven't had all that many issues with recording. I'm also one who never tried a bare bones USB device either. I WAS very disappointed after a couple of updates when my original USB drive started causing all kinds of errors though. Again I didn't try to go cheap or bare bones, and I purchased a 500 GB mobile SSD drive rated for video and photos and haven't had a single problem since. That was about 6 months ago. I feared it not taking the heat being in the car here in FL, but so far so good. https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/portable-drives/g-technology-g-...

Of course since I purchased that drive they've updated sentry mode where it overwrites like the dashcam, so the 500 GB volume is overkill, but I've got three partitions 1) dashcam/sentry, 2) music, 3) audiobooks, so the space isn't a complete waste.

spuzzz123 | 07. huhtikuu 2020

“I've only used the Dashcam pics once in a year and that was at Tesla request...”

I too rarely view sentry videos, mostly because it is a pain to take out the usb, and remember to reinsert it the next day. I’ll definitely use it more with a viewer. So I will find this update quite useful... Obviously your post was intended to derail, but you ended up helping to make my point. Thanks Fish!

EVRider | 07. huhtikuu 2020

FYI, the 2020.12.5 update that adds the dashcam viewer started rolling out today, according to TeslaFi: https://teslafi.com/software.php

FISHEV | 07. huhtikuu 2020

lbowroom | April 6, 2020 Lane keeping works fine, but you know, AP is the tool to keep you centered in the lane while you drive...."

No. AutoSteeer which is Beta product is what keeps you between the lines. Does a decent job which is why no Lane Keeping is so odd.

AP is suite of functions.

1. Semi-Blind Spot indicator.
2. 10% Lane Keeping
3. AutoSteer Beta
4. Adaptive cruise with Phantom Braking feature

Pages