Forums

So Tesla knows where and HOW I drive will Tesla insurance also know?

So Tesla knows where and HOW I drive will Tesla insurance also know?

blkice | 09. huhtikuu 2020

Maybe I’ll stick with AAA

SCCRENDO | 09. huhtikuu 2020

AAA also asks about your mileage and knows your zip code. Although it is on the honor system they have a good idea of your driving

Magic 8 Ball | 09. huhtikuu 2020

No reason they can't unless you made them sign something prohibiting them from doing so. Is there something you are trying to hide?

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 09. huhtikuu 2020

https://www.tesla.com/support/insurance

Does Tesla Insurance use driver data to price insurance?
We use anonymized, aggregated data to inform our insurance rates, such as including the benefits of Tesla's active safety and advanced driver assistance features. Tesla Insurance does not currently use data from individual vehicles, such as GPS or vehicle camera footage. **We plan to expand the product offerings to incorporate more types of data over time.**

The door is open to different policies based on which data are mined. "Good driver" discounts are prevalent in auto insurance, but they're really more like "didn't get caught" discounts. Tesla may be unique in actually being able to gauge the quality of a driver.

blkice | 09. huhtikuu 2020

@M8B How can you not “Floor It” once in a while if you drive a Tesla ?

Where was it said I do not "floor it". I paid for a P model specifically to floor it. 129 mph is my top speed, so far. Every freeway onramp requires me to check the 0- to at least 80 "spec". : ).

Flooring it is what I do : ).

Actually I can't remember my top speed in the Tesla and I think it might be 137, wish it had a top speed log.

FISHEV | 10. huhtikuu 2020

Most insurance companies advertise hooking up to the cars data information and using it to give you a discount. Tesla Insurance, if it is via Tesla vs. Telsa getting a percentage from an insurance company for branding, would be selling that as a feature for reducing insurance price.

By buying a Tesla you've already signed away a lot of personal data that Tesla harvests from the car.

As far as worrying about Tesla knowing where you going you cell phone does that much better as always on an always with you.

If you are going to the Alibi lounge for a hookup, park the car a few blocks away and leave the cell phone.

cherylcal6.62 | 27. huhtikuu 2020

We use anonymized, aggregated data to inform our insurance rates, such as including the benefits of Tesla's active safety and advanced driver assistance features. Tesla Insurance does not currently use data from individual vehicles, such as GPS or vehicle camera footage. **We plan to expand the product offerings to incorporate more types of data over time.** http://www.prepaidcardstatus.tips/

andy.connor.e | 27. huhtikuu 2020

I would be fine with Tesla having all of that information. That way im not charged a higher rate on the predication that males in their 20s are automatically at higher risk and should have a higher rate. Zero accidents ever and Tesla would be able to clearly see how i do not speed excessively. It would be perfect to be charged what i should actually be charged, and not some mixed average statistic that does not represent me, and where i would not somehow benefit from my personal safe driving. We already have zero privacy as it is. Ever gone to this fingerprint website that shows you how much information can be extracted from the device you are accessing the internet from? All the companies that establish meta-data from where you've been, and what you've done? I dont get my data check in the mail ever, so if we're going to give up our privacy anyway i better benefit from the actions i regularly take to be safer than the majority.

https://browserleaks.com/canvas

blkice | 27. huhtikuu 2020

It’s not where you go but did you speed to get there,I’ve done two 0 to 100 “speed”runs in my new Y. Should my insurance costs rise because they have the data? Seems UnAmerican

FISHEV | 27. huhtikuu 2020

blkice | April 27, 2020 It’s not where you go but did you speed to get there,I’ve done two 0 to 100 “speed”runs in my new Y. Should my insurance costs rise because they have the data?"

Yes. You get discounts for good driving and pay when you increase the risks for you and everyone else.

Does the Tesla insurance note it will use data from the car to monitor driving to adjust price?

@blkice

Its all about risk of accident. For an insurance company, their costs come from people who make the insurance company pay for an accident. So from the business's perspective, it comes down to what the chance of you costing them money will be, and what monthly rate will offset not only the risk of you getting into an accident, but how much it will cost them depending how bad the accident is and how expensive your vehicle is. Should insurance rates go up because you want to floor your vehicle in no traffic situations and take advantage of your sub 10-20ms torque response time? I dont think it should. Gunning it out of a stop sign/stoplight is different, but it still adds a measurable amount of risk. That will have to be up to Tesla to determine, because they also happen to be the company that promotes performance. I would hope they take that into consideration and do not penalize their customers for using what they bought. Driving 20+mph over the speed limit however is another problem.

jordanrichard | 27. huhtikuu 2020

Well, there is that old adage, if you aren't doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to hide?

People spout off about privacy, yet you have a cell phone that knows exactly where you are. Anytime you drive down the road, there are cameras either buildings or light poles. Anytime your enter a business, there are cametas. Anytime you buy anything on line, that data is gathered. Anytime you make a purchase with a credit or debit card, it's know where/when and what you bought.

So to get all pissy about privacy over where you are traveling, is a joke.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 27. huhtikuu 2020

"Anytime you make a purchase with a credit or debit card, it's know ... what you bought"

Nah, only the amount of the transaction.

TabascoGuy | 27. huhtikuu 2020

I haven't driven any of my cars in the past 5 or 6 weeks. Do you think my rates will go down?

"I haven't driven any of my cars in the past 5 or 6 weeks. Do you think my rates will go down?"

No, but your insurer will likely issue you credits.

PrescottRichard | 27. huhtikuu 2020

Tabasco- A lot of Insurance companies are doing just that, in one way or another. Mine (American Family) sent me $50, and I’ll take it. Some are giving discounts of some sort.

I paid mine up front so that’s why I got a check, maybe most people get a discount if they pay each month?

@MAB

The amount of the transaction, the person who charged you, the location of the charge, the payment provider, all of your information attached to the credit card on top of all of that.

andy.connor.e for sure. Time, location, vendor. I was responding to the bit about the card provider knowing what you bought. Sorry for not being clear.

Oh i see. ya your credit card holder doesnt know what individual items you got like what would show up on the receipt. pretty much just what you stated