Forums

Home Energy Gateway: "Unavailable", "No recent data available"

Home Energy Gateway: "Unavailable", "No recent data available"

The Tesla app has been working great for several years. Yesterday I got the above messages. Is this an App problem or a major gateway problem? No indication of trouble on the small gateway.

gregbrew | 11. huhtikuu 2020

Mine is working fine. I'm in So. CA. Saturday, April 11th at 10:23AM PDT.

jeff | 11. huhtikuu 2020

Usually what it means is your system isn't reporting in to Tesla. The gateway has 3 methods of connection: cellular using a VPN over AT&T, or WiFi using your house internet, or Ethernet direct from your router. Don't ask me why but it prefers the WiFi over the Ethernet, and at our house in Puerto Rico up in the mountains, AT&T is iffy. The cellular connection comes and goes erratically when it does it is somehow throwing "digital rocks" in the connection circuitry and the gateway stops reporting, even though it shows as active in my router DHCP table, and it shows as connected via Ethernet in the GUI of the gateway. Go figure. I've had it out with several PW support folks and I can't get a cohesive answer as to why the hell they continue to mess with AT&T when I have a solid ENet connect using our satellite internet service. A reboot of the entire system usually fixes this.

markbraukman | 11. huhtikuu 2020

Thanks Jeff for the reply. You are right. It took about 24 hours for the digital rocks to clear out. It is now working again.

gregbrew | 12. huhtikuu 2020

If your situation mirrors Jeff's, one potential way to get the system to ignore the AT&T cellular network would be to open up the TEG and disconnect the cell antennae. They are the two bumps poking out of th top of the TEG. Doing this might reduce the cell signal enough that the TEG doesn't even try to connect to it.

mcdonalk | 12. huhtikuu 2020

markbraukman: Your issue sounds exactly like mine described in the thread that I originated, "Possible Meter Problem and Technical Support." It is is indeed like my issue, the app will continue to report data, but intermittently. Although my issue is being worked, there is the suspicion that my gateway is not providing data to Tesla reliably. However, maybe the issue is more endemic than my individual case. Therefore, I encourage you to contact Powerwall Technical Support to increase the chances that they may realize that this is a trend among multiple customers, and maybe the problem is not onsite.