Forums

Model S owners get priority on Model 3 orders?

Model S owners get priority on Model 3 orders?

Tesla's email reads:

Model 3 reservations will open in Tesla stores on March 31 at 10am PST, as well as online immediately when the event (which will also be accessible via a live stream) begins. As a current owner who has supported Tesla and our mission, your reservation will take priority and be placed ahead of non-owners.

So, does this last sentence mean Model S owners get priority over non-owners who register online or over everybody - including those who wait in line in person and put down deposits earlier but don't own a Model S?

KP in NPT | 15. maaliskuu 2016

That is what it sounds like.

David N | 16. maaliskuu 2016

Yup, and deservedly so.
I am not an owner.

jordanrichard | 16. maaliskuu 2016

"orders" and reservation are 2 completely different things. What they are saying is that existing owners (presumably those on file as of Mar 31st) will be the first to be able to configure their cars. This has no bearing on when you will get your car. In reality it does mean that owners will get their cars first, as long as they are optioned out more than a non-owner reservation holder.

Fins | 16. maaliskuu 2016

Just talked to my sales guy in Florida March 31 the stores are closing between 12-1pm EST

At 1:00 they start taking orders in the store. Online ordered don't start till April 1

Orders made March 31 will be the first to start configurations

jordanrichard | 16. maaliskuu 2016

and by "Apr 1" they mean 12am EST. Per the email that everyone got, on line ordering will be enabled at the beginning of the reveal event. The event is to start at 8:30 pm PST. ,

jbunn | 16. maaliskuu 2016

By the time the 3 is delivering, Tesla will have about 200,000 owners globaly. Cleary, we don't need to service all of them before we can start delivering new customers. That's hardly fair. And strict numberical order doesn't give the old timers any priority. I imagine some sort of a hybrid system. For example, here's the pile of orders we took today. Shuffle the existing owners to the top of today's list. Tomorrow we do the same thing. Or we do it on a weekly basis, or monthly basis. Or something like that.

I also expect geographical differences in delivery times, batching delays when they run only blue cars for a week, or run out of a particular part that's needed for a particular option... Similar to the model S roll-out, but more organized. And of course rolled out fully optioned first when possible.

Haggy | 16. maaliskuu 2016

"Your reservation, whether made in person or online, will take priority over that of a non-owner."

Hi_Tech | 17. maaliskuu 2016

I think we all can be lawyers in here... the way we are dissecting the wording and the exact intended meaning. ;)

Rocky_H | 17. maaliskuu 2016

And we all know that Tesla is famous for being abundantly clear, meaningful, precise, thoughtful, and accurate with their communication. Oh, no, wait, it's the opposite of that.

NKYTA | 17. maaliskuu 2016

@Rocky, as long as the Line workers get first pick, I don't care how it rolls out for us owners.

Hi_Tech | 18. maaliskuu 2016

@Rocky - hahaha... I get what you mean, but have to politely disagree.
Tesla is vague about future products (very forthcoming about current/existing items... they even opened up their patents), but the US government is vague about the existing laws/regulations. Hence my comment above... we could all be lawyers the way we are dissecting and analyzing the statements. :-)

kevin | 18. syyskuu 2016

When I reserved my Model 3 on September 9, the email confirmation said: " Those who own Model S or Model X cars will be offered priority production slots as a special thanks for supporting the Tesla mission." I don't know if all reservation confirmations say that or if my Model S in transit status triggered it.