Forums

Dryer Outlet

Dryer Outlet

I have an open dryer outlet available in my garage. Can I simply attach the tesla charing able to the outlet or is there some kinda of adapter needed. I have been research the Nema 14-50 outlet is the standard upgrade for the tesla, but I'm confused if that is the pretty much the same as the dryer outlet. I reserved a model 3, and do not currently own a tesla to actually try. Thanks for any clarification!

Patkemp01 | 03. huhtikuu 2016

Yes it should be the same as a dryer outlet. There is a NEMA 14-50 installation guide PDF on the website with a diagram of the 14-50 outlet. They do recommend a 50 amp service to the outlet so if your outlet matches the diagram and it's on a 50 amp (or greater) breaker you should be good to go...... providing your total household load doesn't overload the service amperage into your house.

Johnn_hardy | 03. huhtikuu 2016

Your dryer outlet may or may not match the Nema 14-50 configuration. It probably does. As long as it has four wires it can b changed to a 14-50. I would not do that myself. If the braker s not 50 amps you can tell the car (at least the Model S) to charge at a lesser amperage than 40. You cannot draw more than 80% of a circuit continuously. Hence a 50 amp circuit can deliver 40 amps.

JPPTM | 04. huhtikuu 2016

Be careful swapping out receptacles to a larger amp one--not safe or to code. The breaker should match the receptacle. If the dryer is a 30A you don't want to make the mistake of connecting a NEMA 14-50. You might forget to dial back amps on the car. Also since the car is a constant power draw it must be derated from the breaker (thus why the car will pull no more than 40A on a NEMA 14-50).

Please go to TMC and find a gold mine of info by FlasherZ posted there.

Stay safe.

ernie | 04. huhtikuu 2016

Yes @JPPTM...four wires does not indicate it is a 50 amp circuit. I have never seen a dryer that exceeded 30 amps in residential. Look at the outlet and see if there are four slots for blades, and if there are three you have a home that was probably built before 1995 and there are two 115 volt slots and one for the neutral bar. After that year the codes became four wire giving you the three I mentioned plus a dedicated ground.

Plugs do not always tell you what the breaker is and always check to see that the breaker matches the outlet. Range outlets are typically 50 amp outlets, but many homes have energy reduction appliances and the breaker might be 50 or even 40 amp.

jchau4 | 05. huhtikuu 2016

so what I gather is I need to test the amp of my breaker and dryer outlet. Do I need to change the outlet to a Nema 14-50 or will the charging cable be able to directly into a dryer outlet.

sorry, im new to the forums, what does "TMC" stand for?

JPPTM | 05. huhtikuu 2016

Tesla Motors Club--alternative user forum with lots of good info. Maybe it is time to get an electrician out for a consult.

MitchP85D | 05. huhtikuu 2016

Hey jchau4, I have both the NEMA 14-50 240V outlet (which I had installed) and an older dryer outlet. It is a 3-prong outlet, I think called a 10-30. I bought an adapter for the 10-30 and it works fine. My P85D automatically defaults to 24 amps when I use the dryer outlet. When I use the 14-50, I can get 40 amps. All you need is the correct adapter for the dryer outlet you have. You can find the adapters at the Tesla store on the website. The only reason for getting a 14-50 is if you want faster charging. At 40 amps, you get 29 miles of range every hour. At 24 amps, I think it is 18 miles of range every hour.

jchau4 | 05. huhtikuu 2016

Thank you Mitch!

ernie | 05. huhtikuu 2016

Electrician...electrician...wiring size from the breaker to the outlet matters. Too much at stake.

Rocky_H | 11. huhtikuu 2016

So that you can know what the heck you're talking about, here is a chart of the NEMA outlet types:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector

Dryer outlets are either 10-30 for the older ones, or 14-30 for the newer ones. Unfortunately (and stupidly) Tesla discontinued their adapters for those two outlet types. You may be able to find older ones of them at a Tesla service center or for sale on Ebay. Other than that, there is not a good way to match the current level. Using the Tesla 14-50 plug and using an external adapter cable to a 30 amp dryer outlet can be done, but it requires manually adjusting the current in the car, and I WOULD NOT recommend that for your at home daily charging. You can get a wall charging unit, like from Tesla or Clipper Creek installed on that 30A circuit, which would keep it managed properly, and that's not a bad idea.

jordanrichard | 12. huhtikuu 2016

jchau4, go to your service panel, assuming the breakers are labeled by what they are for, see what amperage breaker is presently in place for this outlet you are talking about. If it is 50, then you don't need to change the breaker. If the outlet have a funny "L" shaped prong (blade) on it than it is a 10-30 outlet. There is as others have said, an adapter you can buy for that. The car will automatically dial down the amperage. Each time you plug the car in, is first does a quick test/read of the circuit and adjusts accordingly.

morningfoginthe... | 02. tammikuu 2020

Thank you all for your imput, I had same question!
I want to buy a second mobile charger to keep in the trunck. I've been debating between the NEMA2 that comes with the model 3 these days, the one with NEMA14-50 (comes with improved charging speed), the bundle of adapters or the CHAdeMO Adapter. I have a dryer plug but I have not installed a Testa charger yet (it will take us some time to do this one).
We got our model 3 in June 2019, which at that time came with the adapter for 220 (dryer outlet...)
Any suggestions??
Thanks again
M.

Maxxer | 02. tammikuu 2020

My NEMA 14-30 I bought at Tesla in April works flawlessly

jimglas | 03. tammikuu 2020

I used the Tesla 14-30 adapter without any issues until I had my HPWC installed

milesbb | 04. tammikuu 2020

@ jchau4
as stated by Rocky_H you very likely have a NEMA 10-30 of a NEMA 14-30 outlet, check the chart on Rocky_H 's link. If as Rocky_H stated Tesla no longer provides the Gen 2 NEMA Adapter for these outlets, you can get the adapter from:
https://www.evseadapters.com/collections/new-tesla-model-3-gen-2-chargin...

They claim they work just like the Tesla adapters. $59.00

Tesla2018 | 04. tammikuu 2020

Dryer outlets changed around 1998. Houses before that use a different plug configuration. 10-30 might be the adapter for older ones. 14-30 is for newer homes.