Forums

HOT outside with all glass roof!

HOT outside with all glass roof!

I live in Redding, CA where temperatures often climb to 100F or more. I have an M3 preordered and I really want the all glass roof. I wanted to ask all you model S and X owners out there with pano roofs in hot climates, does it really matter if you have all glass above you if you run the A/C while driving? Also, how long does it actually take to run the climate control using your app to drop the interior temperature on a very hot day to 70F? If I work in the office all day with the car in full sun in the parking lot, it gets HOT in there, probably around 135F. I don't like to crack my windows to facilitate break-ins. Have you gotten in the habit of activating this feature just before going out to the parking lot? Lastly, how many "miles" do you burn off the battery by running the climate control remotely to get the car comfortable?

Thanks!

lilbean | 15. heinäkuu 2016

I have a Model X and it was fine during a heat wave in Socal. Itt was parked outdoors in 100 degrees for 2 hours and I just turned the air on ten minutes before entering the car. The fan speed was set to 1 and temperature was set to 76 degrees. The car felt room temperature and not warm. I have run the AC at that setting for 30 minutes while parked with no loss of range.

davediep | 15. heinäkuu 2016

@jeffersonhunt
I park my car outside at work all day. I usually remotely turn the climate control on a few minutes before going to the car to go home. I live in San Jose so around 5 PM the interior of the car is usually 130-135'F in the summer. I found that the car only take 3-5 minutes to get down to 69'F.

After awhile, the car "smart conditioning" now automatically kicks in just before 5PM so I am no longer have to remember to turn the climate control on with my phone.

Haggy | 15. heinäkuu 2016

I have a Model S and when I drive from the Bay Area to SoCal on a hot day, I notice the heat. But that's only when I park and get out to get something to eat. Then I feel the heat and smell the cow contributions. When I'm in the car, the only way I'd know that it's approaching 100 degrees F is by looking at the number on the display.

AC doesn't eat up battery. While it's true that the car needs a motor to do the equivalent of turning a flywheel with a fan belt, I would imagine that the amount of force needed to turn the compressor shaft is nothing compared to the force needed to move 4000 lbs of car down the road.

In theory, using the app to vent the roof and/or turn on the AC in advance should take care of it. I say "in theory" because in practice I almost never remember to do it. If it were a problem, I'd almost definitely remember to do it.

The Model S has a feature called Smart Preconditioning. Since it's a software feature, it won't cost Tesla extra to implement it, but it might be part of some sort of tech package. That allows the car to learn your schedule and cool the car for you if you tend to leave the office around the same time each day. I don't use it personally.

CraigW | 16. heinäkuu 2016

I have owned two Teslas with Pano Roof and driven over 80,000 miles - both in SoCal and across the country multiple times.

The Pano Roof has never given me any problems with heat - in Phoenix or in Chicago. When the car is hot it is because I didn't start the A/C before I entered the car. The battery will run my house for multiple days - the A/C doesn't really cut heavily into your Range Mile usage.

IMO, Tesla has plenty of experience dealing with glass roofs. I have several Model 3s ordered for my wife and children and have absolutely no concern about the glass roof having any heating/cooling problems. There are enough questions about the Model 3 without adding this one to the list. Again, IMO, it is a non-starter.