Forums

Non Teslas parking in Supercharger Spots in Truckee, CA

Non Teslas parking in Supercharger Spots in Truckee, CA

So curious if Tesla wants to be notified when we see this. I've been to the Truckee Supercharger near 50/50 brewery and seen this twice. I've only been there twice so I assume this is happening more often. Anyone have any suggestions? Didn't impact me either time so I took my pics and moved on. I wrote this up this morning and posted it here.

https://advicebox.com/2016/08/04/ice-cars-behaving-badly/

EdwardG.NO2CO2 | 05. elokuu 2016

The sign says Tesla vehicle Charging only so there may be a parking violation here.

Not Ready for P... | 05. elokuu 2016

Until legislation is passed to restrict use of EV parking/charging spots, it is technically legal to park an ICE vehicle in an EV parking/charging spot. The signs placed at the SC sites by Tesla have no legal backing.

SomeJoe7777 | 05. elokuu 2016

In most states, the signs have no legal backing as far as law enforcement goes. There are a few states where state law makes it illegal, and a citation can be issued, but right now that is few and far between.

However, almost all Tesla superchargers are on private property, and the property owner can enforce whatever remedial action they want. It is perfectly acceptable for the private property owner to have a vehicle towed off his lot if he feels that vehicle isn't complying with his rules.

If you see an ICE vehicle at a supercharger, notify the management of the property. In a lot of cases, they may not take action, but sometimes they will. The Holiday Inn Express in Huntsville, TX is adamant about their supercharger parking and will not hesitate to have ICE vehicles towed.

iefbr14 | 05. elokuu 2016

Recently saw someone had ICEd a supercharger spot with their Mercedes. And someone else had completely soaped their windshield on the driver side.

Blue85DCalifornia | 05. elokuu 2016

> The sign says Tesla vehicle Charging only so there may be a parking violation here.

At the OP's location, Brockway (sometimes called Truckee #2 because 'Truckee' is another SC several miles away), four of the red signs say Tesla only parking and four red Tesla signs allow general parking with a time limit. So, I doubt there's any recourse unless they exceed the time limit)

stevenmaifert | 05. elokuu 2016

California AB475 was signed into law 9/7/11: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=2011...

It allows for the towing of any vehicle occupying a designated charging space that is not plugged in for charging. It requires each municipality to enact their own ordinance pursuant to the law, and the owner of the parking space to erect signage in compliance with the language of AB475. Once done, the owner of the parking space can have a car towed.

tacutting | 05. elokuu 2016

> At the OP's location, Brockway (sometimes called Truckee #2 because 'Truckee' is another SC several miles away), four of the red signs say Tesla only parking and four red Tesla signs allow general parking with a time limit. So, I doubt there's any recourse unless they exceed the time limit)

Humm, I didn't see that, I'll check out which stalls those are next time. I looked again closer at my pics and the spots they are in are definitely for "Charging Only". Nothing on the red sign about others being able to park in front of the spots in question. Anyhow, interesting to hear that some are flexible spots, didn't know Tesla was doing that.

vperl | 05. elokuu 2016

Oregon Governor sign a EV law first of year

Unless your a EV parked in marked EV space it is illegal. Iceing illegal

If your an EV and not charging in a marked space it is illegal.

No special signage necessary other than EV charging spot type sign.

rlwrw | 05. elokuu 2016

Norton flags the link as a malicious website.

vperl | 05. elokuu 2016

Do not park Gas Vehicles in Electrical Vehicle parking Stations
Oregon 2015 HB2625 Unlawful parking in space reserved for Electrical
fuel vehicle refueling
SECTION 1. (1) As used in this section, “alternative fuel vehicle” has
the meaning given that term in ORS 469B.100, except that “alternative
fuel vehicle” includes vehicles registered in any jurisdiction.
(2) A person commits the offense of unlawful parking in a space
reserved for alternative fuel vehicle refueling if:
(a) The person parks a vehicle in any parking space that is on premises
open to the public;
(b) The parking space is marked or signed as reserved for alternative
fuel vehicle refueling; and
(c) The vehicle in the parking space is not engaged in the refueling
process.
(3) The offense of unlawful parking in a space reserved for alternative
fuel vehicle refueling is a Class D traffic violation.
Signed into law by the Governor of Oregon
Effective date 1 January 2016
Minimum Fine $250 Class D
Parking violation

Blue85DCalifornia | 05. elokuu 2016

> I looked again closer at my pics and the spots they are in are definitely for "Charging Only". Nothing on the red sign about others being able to park in front of the spots in question. Anyhow, interesting to hear that some are flexible spots, didn't know Tesla was doing that.

See TMC thread on construction of this SC. Post #36' 2nd photo. "30 minute general parking"

The four signs to the right of the equipment enclosure were general parking when I was last there (about 5 weeks ago), and the four signs to the left were Tesla charging only.

https //teslamotorsclub dot com/tmc/posts/1186001/

Haggy | 05. elokuu 2016

If they have the standard Tesla signs, they can't do a thing. If they put up complaint signs, such as the ones at California airports, then the car could be towed. Tesla would have to play the role of property manager, which is fine if the owner gives them permission. The owner might not want to do that to a customer. It would cost hundreds of dollars to get the car back, but the law allows the car to be moved to a different space.

TaoJones | 05. elokuu 2016

Oregon ChaDeMo have good signage - standard municipal no parking sign and an EV charging sign. Makes it very easy for store managers to simply call the police or a towing company. Which I have observed them doing when ICEing (by one asshat in particular last year) has been pointed out to them.

TaoJones | 05. elokuu 2016

Also, remember that you are perfectly capable of googling for a local towing company and calling them yourself. They'll either tow the car or they won't.

In those states wherein it is known that ICEing an EV space is a fine-able offense, call the local non-emergency police line. A ticket is a ticket and it'll pad somebody's "traffic activity" stats for the month.

Note that the above actions are generally best reserved for ICEing by people who refuse to move. Or not.

Having said all of the above, with rare exception, I didn't see much ICEing during various extended travel. But when I did, it was both offensive and annoying. Your mileage may vary in direct proportion to your level of enlightenment :).

jcsagebiel | 05. elokuu 2016

I have been to that Brockway supercharger several times and almost always find ICE cars in the spots. Fortunately it is not a heavily used supercharger.

sklancha | 05. elokuu 2016

I just took some pucturesearch at Tha Alexandria, Louisiana supercharger, where all but 2 spots were ICE (I can't figure out how to post pics still- so no pics to post) a few days ago. I was pleasantly tly surprised at the [new] property owner's quick response when I brought it to his attention. At the time we walked out, there was only one Tesla (mine), one empty slot, and ICE in the rest. He said that he accepted the responsibility from Tesla [to provide a place for Tesla's to charge, and he has no qualms with towing vehicles, if he can't get people to comply with the signage.

Of course he might have been bluffing, but I don't think so. It is important for us to bring the problem to their ayyention..

This reminds me of another ...charging challenge that I ran into a few times recently: misleading HPWC advertisent, which I think may be more of an issue for Tesla to address. We had a couple incidences- the most recent was last night, at a supercharger in PanaMA City Beach Florida. When you push the HPWC 'dot' on the nav map, it shows that they have bathrooms, shopping, dining, coffee, hotel, etc. We planned on shopping, eating, and grabbing a cofee, so it looked like a great stop for us, and would make it possible for us to continuING our travel on the scenic coastal way. We got there and that the charging station was only for patrons STAYING there, not for patrons there for golfing, shopping, eating! Fortunately we had a fair mount of charge from the HPWC at our prior beach town stop. The same thing happened at a restaurant in Sedona Arizona. Sedona was even crueler, as they informed me that they cut off power to the HPWC so that patrons not staying overnight couldn't steal their electricity. Fortunately there was another restaurant/resort in Sedona that let us charge while we ate. There is something a bit demeaning when I am titled a thief for using a HPWC while spending money at the location. If the place only advertises it as a sleeping location and says for patrons only- I know that it is only available toE if I am staying there. The 'dots' in Seaside and in Panama City Beach were identical, but Seaside welcomed my visit with open arms, PC Beach.showed me the door.

sklancha | 05. elokuu 2016

Sorry for all the type-os. Trying to type on the phone while my daughter drives the last leg back home. Can't see the auto fix or errors until after I post

Coastal Cruiser. | 05. elokuu 2016

"Until legislation is passed to restrict use of EV parking/charging spots..."

Until then it's a personal matter. That is why ever since my after-hours pizza delivery job as a young man I never leave home w/o a valve stem removal tool in the glove box.