Forums

Still considering advanced autopilot?

Still considering advanced autopilot?

With the fatal accidents mounting up because of blatant failure of the basic automatic emergency braking to stop the car, much less the autonomous driving recognizing the obstacle and changing lanes, would you still consider this feature? Automatic emergency braking had been out for a little while, with varying levels of success, but even this simple feature seems to fail miserably on teslas, and if you can't trust the autonomous driving, what's the point? I'd rather skip all the radar guided stuff if it doesn't work reliably and spend less on the car, how about you?

Frank99 | 15. syyskuu 2016

Nah, I'm watching and learning the limitations of the system so I can work within it.

Red Sage ca us | 15. syyskuu 2016

Hello, now...
We're the boys in the chorus,
We hope you like our show!
We know you're rootin' for us,
But now we have to go!

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/still-considering-advanced-autop...

andy.connor.e | 16. syyskuu 2016

I will probably not have autopilot when i get my car.

By the time the Model 3 comes out, there needs to be massive improvement with the Autopilot. I am not willing to use it if its not going to work properly. Its not worth my life to take a chance on having a computer drive my car at 65mph. I've been driving for 7 years, and im perfectly fine with being the driver, especially if the computer system is not 150% reliable.

I can always activate it later being that the Model 3 will come with all the latest hardware. Will keep the initial price of the car low as well.

nroland93 | 16. syyskuu 2016

If I were to buy a Tesla right now, I wouldn't upgrade to Autopilot. I love the technology and it needs to be continually improved (like everything), but it seems like the vast majority of reviews that I check out it only increases the driver's stress level. Yes, it's working but you're going to be hyper aware of how it's driving. Now, that may seem like a good thing, in fact we all need to be more aware of how we're driving, but it's just going to be an exhausting ride. Plus, I enjoy driving the car myself.

However, I probably won't be able to get a Tesla for another 2-4 years, and with the rapid improvements that are being made, maybe by that time Autopilot will be near-flawless. We'll see. But right now, I'd go without it.

Mailrail707 | 16. syyskuu 2016

You shouldn't look at Autopilot as a system to "drive your car" while you piddle with other things. You should look at it as a driver-assist device that will hopefully keep you relatively safe should you suddenly become distracted by your phone, your kids, etc. I have radar cruise and lane keep assist in my current car and, while it's nowhere near as efficient as Tesla's system, I wouldn't ever trust it to get me from Point A to Point B by itself. But I can attest to its stress-reducing qualities. Tesla should have named it Copilot because that's really what it is. Just a helper to watch over your shoulder and alert you to danger ahead.

ccsccs7 | 16. syyskuu 2016

It's so worth it for stop and go traffic, in my opinion. That is the worst time to drive manually, and speeds are low.

makobill | 16. syyskuu 2016

I will go without initially and keep an eye on the tech improvements. I've been victim in a couple of ICE 'auto braking' problems (which are ALARMING at highway speeds) and just don't trust it in the real world "today" with my life. I do think sometime in the future, it will be more feasible - but not something I'd pay for today.

mwenn1 | 16. syyskuu 2016

Autopilot is a no brainer for me, you just have to use it correctly and pay attention!

Cesg12290 | 16. syyskuu 2016

I wouldn't do Autopilot until its Level 4

KP in NPT | 16. syyskuu 2016

Autopilot is my absolute favorite feature of our Model S. It has changed my life on my commute through NY/CT rush hour traffic.

I drive from JFK to RI after work - which is after working an international flight from either Europe or Asia. My drive is 3.5 hours at best, but normally 4-5 hours. That makes for a long day. The difference in how I feel arriving home with autopilot is night and day. My model 3 will most definitely have it, even if it were exactly as it is today. But the good news is, it will be at least as good as it will be at the end of next week - when 8.0 rolls out. :)

Haggy | 16. syyskuu 2016

That's a stupid question. If I turn off Autopilot, I'd be as safe as I'd be in a vehicle without it. If I turn it on, I am safer and still have 100% control of the steering, brakes and accelerator. There is no disadvantage to autopilot whatsoever. It's unquestionably safer.

There is no autonomous driving feature or any announcement that the car will change lanes on its own to avoid obstacles or for any other reason. Having a car without autopilot means it still won't change lanes on its own to avoid obstacles so I don't see how that would help.

AEB isn't designed to stop a car at freeway speeds for any car, nor does any manufacturer claim that it will.

Fatal accidents are not mounting up. One death in Florida happened because all indications are that the driver failed to take any action to stop his car when a giant truck was in front of him. That's the only case of a fatal accident when autopilot was known to have been in use, and it's clear that autopilot didn't cause the accident. Autopilot didn't steer the car out of its lane into a truck. Autopilot didn't take over the brakes or steering to prevent the driver from using them. Drivers have this sort of accident regularly when they aren't paying attention, and it won't matter what car you have if you don't watch the road.

I haven't seen any indication that AEB works any better or worse on any vehicle, but pretty much by definition, had AEB worked perfectly, the driver in Florida still would have died. AEB is designed to brake when an accident is unavoidable in order to mitigate the damages. It will slow the vehicle down by as much as 25 mph. Driving under a truck at 10 mph would have killed the driver.

cdugger350 | 16. syyskuu 2016

I wouldn't own the car without it...... By the time the car get's produced and in my hands, I would expect to see major revisions and improvements to the feature...

NomoDinos | 16. syyskuu 2016

mp1156- +1. Autopilot is fantastic in heavy rush hour traffic, and for really long drives to take tension off your shoulders and calves. I would NEVER stop paying attention while I was in the driver's seat, even when the supposed level 5 autonomy is available. I've logged a few thousand miles in autopilot, and given my sometimes hour-long commute home, will only buy a car with autopilot from now on. From my experiences, it's been highly reliable, predictable and user-friendly.

tommyalexandersb | 16. syyskuu 2016

Autopilot. Yes!

Mireille and Conan | 17. syyskuu 2016

Autopilot is amazing! I have to believe most folks who don't want it haven't used it.

Leonbrodie | 17. syyskuu 2016

Autopilot is the point. I will not buy a new vehicle without it. From anybody.

Madatgascar | 17. syyskuu 2016

I just led my wife through the AP learning curve. The first long drive with AP is actually more stressful than regular driving. Once you get used to it though, it becomes less stressful. That doesn't mean it lulls you into a false sense of complacency. You never ever stop paying attention. You are still in charge of the driving, but you are able to have better situational awareness than when you are preoccupied with "aiming" the car. On a long trip, it makes a big difference.

Unfortunately, humans are not well suited to monitoring systems with low failure rates. There will always be people who trust mechanical systems too much and get themselves in trouble. If you know you are this type of person, maybe it is best to stay away from this technology until it is "150% safe," whatever that means. For the rest of us, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the better. I am really enjoying the progress and using the technology within its limits. It really is not that hard.

NomoDinos | 17. syyskuu 2016

tbouquet - +1. Well said.