Forums

What is the highest mileage Tesla on the road today

What is the highest mileage Tesla on the road today

What maintenance has been done and what has failed on high mileage Teslas?

jordanrichard | 21. syyskuu 2016

What do you consider "high mileage", north of 100,000?

Also not to split hairs, but the maintenance is the same, regardless. Rotate tires, change brake fluid, change battery coolant and change the ATF fluid in the gear reduction "box".

Do you mean repairs, as in stuff that broke?

dd.micsol | 22. syyskuu 2016

Interesting topic as I thought you were just trying to find the highest mileage model S.
And I wonder what that might actually be. Curious. As for maint-refer to the manual. I have 73k on my S and have
had one maint visit and it cost me 25.00. 2yrs old.

andy.connor.e | 22. syyskuu 2016

^ and that is the true cost of ownership.

bmalloy0 | 22. syyskuu 2016

There was just an article of a guy who had an early-run MS that broke 100k and the only issues he had was the motor was wonky (which is a known defect on early MS's, and was replaced under warranty). Other than that I think it was just tires.

George with SacEV | 23. syyskuu 2016

Talked to a guy with a white Model S at the Fresno Supercharger in June; he had....190,000 miles on his car. He had several service issues, but ALL were covered totally by Tesla.

Linemanap | 23. syyskuu 2016

190k is pretty good but I was trying to get an idea how long the drive train can last. Any 500k+ Teslas out there. There are million mile ice vehicles on the road but thats alot of oil changes, timing belt, transmission services and the like. What has been the true cost of long term ownership. I plan to keep my model 3 forever.

bmalloy0 | 23. syyskuu 2016

Don't forget, the first Model S only came out 4 years ago. You're talking about people driving 120k+ miles a year if you're looking for 500k+. And I highly doubt the early adopters would have put their cars through that much.

jordanrichard | 23. syyskuu 2016

There are very few if any 1,000,000 mile ICE out there, on their original non-rebuilt engines.

brando | 23. syyskuu 2016

For 8 years you have nothing to worry about.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/infinite-mile-warranty

Infinite Mile Warranty

Elon Musk, CEO August 15, 2014

The Tesla Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack. That means the 85 kWh Model S, our most popular model by far, now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit. There is also no limit on the number of owners during the warranty period.

Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced. In hindsight, this should have been our policy from the beginning of the Model S program. If we truly believe that electric motors are fundamentally more reliable than gasoline engines, with far fewer moving parts and no oily residue or combustion byproducts to gum up the works, then our warranty policy should reflect that.

To investors in Tesla, I must acknowledge that this will have a moderately negative effect on Tesla earnings in the short term, as our warranty reserves will necessarily have to increase above current levels. This is amplified by the fact that we are doing so retroactively, not just for new customers. However, by doing the right thing for Tesla vehicle owners at this early stage of our company, I am confident that it will work out well in the long term.

– Elon

rc5695 | 25. syyskuu 2016

Wonder if the 3 will get that warranty?

bmalloy0 | 25. syyskuu 2016

Not giving the Model 3 the Inf. Mile/8 Year warranty would be the fastest way to reduce the number of preorders they have

Calibrotha2000 | 29. syyskuu 2016

Teslaloop car just hit 200,000 miles in less than 2 years

Calibrotha2000 | 29. syyskuu 2016

Teslaloop car just hit 200,000 miles in less than 2 years

Ross1 | 30. syyskuu 2016

Soooo, who would buy an 8 year old Tesla?

Linemanap | 01. lokakuu 2016

The teslaloop car story was interesting. Tesla replaced the motor and the battery based on diagnostic reports from over the air, but the owners didn't even know anything was wrong. So you can look at this and say wow the motor failed at 30k and then the battery was replaced this car is a pos. I look at it as tesla took extreme measures to fix minor problems and it was all under warranty. Other car companies go out of their way to not repair things under warranty and they sure as hell don't tell you about a problem. I have a GMC with a know casting defect in the head but GMC never told me about it and now tells me its out of warranty. I found out about it when researching a coolant leak

jordanrichard | 02. lokakuu 2016

Linemanap, I don't recall it saying they replaced the motor, just the battery.

Red Sage ca us | 02. lokakuu 2016

Linemanap: The motor did not 'fail' at 30,000 miles. Tesla Motors contacted the owner to let them know the car was not making full power from its front motor. Tesla offered to, and did, replace the front motor because of the issue they detected remotely. The owner of the car never saw any difference in the vehicle prior to Tesla's call, didn't get stranded, didn't experience a failure, and had no complaints about performance.

Linemanap | 03. lokakuu 2016

Ok red it had a problem that Tesla thought was worth a total motor replacement at 30k miles. Not making full power sounds like a fail to me. The new motor has over 160k with no issues so still better then then an ice. Consumer reports gave the model S a worse then avg. used car rating so take that for what it's worth. I suspect the cars coming off the line today are a lot more reliable than the ones produced during the first years of production.

JAD | 03. lokakuu 2016

Tesla is also in new territory. They want to see real world high mileage engines to see how they are wearing etc. So paying $1,000 or whatever it really costs Tesla to swap a motor for a rebuilt motor is a deal to get the real world usage data on high mileage cars. This is part of the reason they replaced so many early motors, not to prevent failure, but to learn how they were doing and make improvements on the assembly line.

As far as ICE cars, any car will run forever if you are willing to spend enough fixing it. With millions and millions of ICE, of course there are a few super high mileage cars, but on average, an ICE lasts about 100k by design. Some go more, some go less, but that is the designed life.

brando | 03. lokakuu 2016

Good cars taken care of can go 200 to 300,000 miles, or 15 or 20 years which ever comes first.

Saabs, Volvos, Toyota, Honda, I have seen go this far easily. Salty roads may well shorten life.

240,000 on my '76 Saab 99 after 14 years still running fine. Only major repair was a fuel pump and ignition coil.
Changed oil 12,000 to 16,000 miles. Sold it in 1990 and bought '89 Saab 900 SPG still running like new.

I think these electrics will go a million miles.
Who will do it first? Taxi, Traveling Sales, retired person going for a Guinness record book?

Red Sage ca us | 04. lokakuu 2016

Linemanap: The point is that BMW and Mercedes-Benz have even worse ratings than Tesla Motors from Consumer Reports, yet they are often referred to as examples of 'lasting quality', 'dependable durability', and 'storied experience' in automotive engineering. A failure would be the motor grinding to the halt on the highway, bursting into multiple pieces, or not running at all in your driveway at the start of a day -- things that happen to ICE vehicles from all manufacturers EVERY DAY. You know what doesn't happen every day? Having that ICE replaced under warranty BEFORE a catastrophic failure takes place, or having a guaranteed eight year window whereby it will be replaced regardless of mileage.

Bubba2000 | 04. lokakuu 2016

Over time, Tesla will collect data of components that have failed. In the drive train, it could be bearings, seals, lubricants, gears, joints, brakes, suspension. Then there is the batttery, inverter, HVAC, etc. Collect statistical data and do continuous improvement. The goal is to eliminate warranty repairs and beyond.

Read somewhere that Elon wants the drivetrain to last 1,000,000 miles (MTBF). I think if the current MS is not abused, driven moderately 15,000 miles/year, batttery charge in the middle 1/3, the car can last 15-20 years like a refrigerator.

dd.micsol | 05. lokakuu 2016

Let me see
1000000/12000/yr....83yrs. Dang that's an old car. You could buy one for your child and they'd be dead before they reached a 1000000 miles. Theoretically.

The flying hippie | 05. lokakuu 2016

Maybe im a little optimistic but I think you are all underestimating the lifespan of these cars. They are built more like airplanes than traditional cars. There are plenty of 50+ year old airplanes flying around with minimal maintenance to the airframe. Sure the engines get overhauled once in a while but we don't need to worry about that. That leaves the electronic components and computers. From experience I've seen minimal failures of these parts on first generation glass cockpit aircraft that are now 25+ years old and have plenty of cycles on them. Not saying the quality of Teslas components compare to the expensive stuff that goes in an Airbus but I have confidence in the technology. I plan on keeping my S for 40 years with a battery swap around the 20 year mark.

Red Sage ca us | 05. lokakuu 2016

The flying hippie: +21! 1935 was a very long time ago, indeed.

Flagship Detroit—The Oldest Flying DC-3
Three, Gooney Bird, Doug, Dakota, Diesel-3, Douglas Racer—no matter what it’s called, one can legitimately argue that the most influential airplane on commercial aviation was the Douglas DC-3. The oldest one flying has been restored as it was when it was an American Airlines Flagship.

There is also this, by Mark K:

Built Like a Jet
When I shut the Model S door, the feeling it gave me was indeed very different, and yet somehow, strangely familiar. I thought to myself "I know this sound."
And then it dawned on me. That sound, that feel, that is how the cabin door feels on a G5. A super strong, yet super lightweight structure designed to do things ordinary doors could never do. Radically different from a common car door, but the way things are done on a $45 million jet.
Then the virtues of the car became even more clear for me. The safest, most efficient sedan in the world was also built with the same engineering ethics found in the highest-end transportation machines made.

tstolz | 03. marraskuu 2016

@Red Sage +1 - I agree ... people underestimate the Model S / X. If you look closely at the build of everything from the frame, skin, suspension, etc., these cars are definitely built more like an aircraft. People will be shocked at how MS / X will just keep going as more and more people rack up miles. M3 may do just as well!

I generally flip my ICE age cars every 5 years and 250,000 km because repair costs start to cost more than replacement cost. In the case of a Tesla ... based on battery data, it's design, and how well these cars reportedly hold up ... 10 years and 500,000 km will be pretty easy for it ... and 20 years may not be out of the question!!