Forums

Cold Weather Package

Cold Weather Package

Hello Everyone,

Wanted to get everyone's opinion on the cold weather package. Is there a need for this package since you can pre-heat the car through your cell phone? I ask because I live in Southwestern PA and our winters can get pretty bad. I was thinking about getting the cold weather package at the assumed $1,000 cost (per the model S), but since heated front seats come standard (again assuming standard features are the same as the S) and the app heats up the car for you, is there a need to spend the money on this package? If not, I was thinking about using the money on the glass roof instead.

Thanks,

Kal

The flying hippie | 01. marraskuu 2016

I have kids in the back so I wouldn't go without the cold wx pack. I use it all the time on the S since it's more efficient than heating the whole cabin. As for the glass roof, that is widely believed to be a standard feature. There was never any mention of any other type of roof.

hoppie2 | 01. marraskuu 2016

I also live in cold winter climate. I will definetely get the winter package. Using the heated seats uses a lot less battery power, You will want the heated mirrors and front and rear window defrost that will come with the package.

KP in NPT | 01. marraskuu 2016

We do not have the cold weather package on our MS in RI and the only thing we wish we had was the heated rear seats. We do not have kids and so didn't think it was necessary, but as it turns out we are constantly driving when we have other couples and so often have people in the back. (Usually me, while my husband drives) so yeah I wish we had heated seats. ;-)

That said, I'm still not 100% sure we will get it on our model 3.

EaglesPDX | 01. marraskuu 2016

The biggest gotta-have-it on the winter package is the heated windshield washer nozzles. In cold weather I'm alway getting dirty road spray and frozen washers. Can be dangerous if you can't clean the windshield and this on cars with a hot engine compartment to help keep the small window washer hoses thawed. With no hot engine, I'd imagine the Tesal is going to need the heated nozzles even more.

I have never needed heated nozzles and that included drives from RI to JFK in full on sleet and ice. My nozzles worked fine.

@mp1156 "I have never needed heated nozzles and that included drives from RI to JFK in full on sleet and ice."

You need to get out...and up...more. Tesla offers it because a lot of us see it in wider, higher area of travel.

Lol. So now I don't know what I'm talking about despite having driven my actual tesla in NE winter including a road trip during the coldest (sub zero) weekend of last year and snow and ice.

I didn't need heated nozzles - they performed fine without heating. So much so that i am still not sure if get the cold weather package on our second tesla - and if I did it would strictly be for heated rear seats.

akgolf | 01. marraskuu 2016

There's got to be a Dolt forum Eagles can haunt!

@mp1156 "So now I don't know what I'm talking about despite having driven my actual tesla in NE winter including a road trip during the coldest (sub zero) weekend of last year and snow and ice."

So Tesla doesn't know what they are talking about in offering the heated washer nozzles.

As for your jaunt from a heated garage in Newport to JFK, now if you were up at Sugarloaf on that coldest day of the year coming back to your car after skiing, the Subaru owner next to you could have demonstrated the value of the heated windshield nozzles.

Fortunately Tesla doesn't share your lack of experience.

akgolf | 01. marraskuu 2016

And thank god Tesla doesn't have you on their team.

Nice try Eagles.

Nope, no heated garage (no garage) and I regularly return from days away to fetch my cold car at the airport and nope, still never needed heated nozzles.

Just because they are offered doesn't mean they are necessary to drive the car perfectly safely.

To the OP - you can decide if heated nozzles are a must have for you in your winters. They have not been for me in New England.

The flying hippie | 02. marraskuu 2016

I'll just wade in on the heated washer nozzle issue. mp1156 is correct in that it is not needed. That being said I think it also depends on the quality of your washer fluid. After two brutal Montreal winters with good quality washer fluid I've had exactly zero issues with frozen nozzles. The stuff we use up here is rated to at least -40 and is largely self de-icing. I've never tried the cheap stuff but it wouldn't surprise me if it freezes up the nozzle sometimes.

PhillyGal | 02. marraskuu 2016

We're entering into our third winter in our MS and have not missed the cold weather package.

I do use the heated seats nearly every time I'm in the car if it's cold out, and certainly they are more efficient than cabin heating. In our case, no kids and rare rear passengers. That's why the heated rear seats aren't missed.

We park in a garage at night, but that'll change once we get the Model 3 because they will need to take turns. If the M3 has the same heated front seats standard, I will not buy the winter package. I've never had an issue with the wiper fluid sprays on the Model S and like @mp1156 - we took a road trip in a horrendous ice storm. The MS wiper fluid spray nozzle is actually a bit weird. Rather than a wide angle spray, it sprays kind of a thin jet. Takes some getting used to, but powers through in the winter.

Now if anyone can suggest how to get my other car's sprayers to work, I'll be a happy camper. (toothpick/toothbrush no dice.)

dsvick | 02. marraskuu 2016

I'll probably skip on the package. I've lived in NE Ohio my whole life and been driving here for the last 34 years and can count on one hand the number of times I've had my washer nozzles freeze up. Heated steering wheel and heated seats are no big deal, I've never had them and won't miss them if I don't get them. The one thing that may make me think twice would be if heated side mirrors are not standard, I've got them in my current car and they are great.

@dsvick +1 on the heated mirrors. I hope they are standard. I don't have them on the gas car that lives outside and what a hassle.

Heated wiper blades are tempting too, that is something I deal with all the time, but not sure if it would be worth a $1K just for that.

The flying hippie | 02. marraskuu 2016

The wiper blades aren't actually heated, they just sit on a heated strip on the windshield when parked. This system is used in a wrong way by 90% of people. It's best to turn it on before ice starts to accumulate on the wiper and use it as anti-icing instead of waiting for ice accretion to turn it on. Once the ice has built up it wont come off. Unfortunately I don't think Tesla understands this either and you have to keep turning it back on every 15 minutes. Any time its cold out this strip should be turned on as it keeps the wiper blade malleable for when you need a bit of wiper fluid. Unless its dry out, I just turn it back on every 15 minutes in winter, as annoying as that is.

andy.connor.e | 02. marraskuu 2016

I've never felt like i needed heated seats, nor wiper blade heaters, nor heated steering wheel, nor heated washer nosels. I've never felt like it was necessary. Obviously having them poses a convenience factor, but all in all i feel the package is unnecessary. Its well priced though.

Good to know about the wipers, thanks hippie!

Pkalhan | 02. marraskuu 2016

@ The flying hippie "As for the glass roof, that is widely believed to be a standard feature. There was never any mention of any other type of roof"

I was under the impress that there would be 3 total options for the roof; a metal one, an all glass one, and a pano glass roof. I believe on one of the videos a driver tells some passengers that this would be the case. So based off of that video, I was assuming the car would come standard with the metal roof and the all glass and pano roof would be an option.

I could be wrong, thanks for your comment!

andy.connor.e | 02. marraskuu 2016

Ya im not sure. I thought it was supposed to be one continuous piece of glass. And that was the only option.

KP in NPT | 02. marraskuu 2016

There was mention by one of the engineers in the reveal videos that there would be 3 options for the roof.

I'm pretty sure that Elon tweeted saying that those three options would be the roof options. I think it was in the huge tweet storm he did back in April.

EaglesPDX | 02. marraskuu 2016

@PhillyGal "We're entering into our third winter in our MS and have not missed the cold weather package."

Is that a typo or are you really living in Mississippi and saying you can't understand why people who drive in winter conditions and in high altitude would need a cold weather package?

If people have never had the issue, then likely they do not drive in conditions that warrant it but to chime in that "I never saw it so you don't need it" is a bit silly.

Tesla and ever major car mfg that builds cars that see cold climates will offer the heated wipers and/or washer system as it can be a safety hazard when it freezes up. Because it is a built in and can only be ordered when buying the car, it would probably make sense to get it in case you move, decide to visit higher elevations or sell the car.

PG is answering the OP - who lives in the same type of winter weather as the OP. I think she'd probably know better than someone who has never driven a Model S.

Rocky_H | 02. marraskuu 2016

Heh, @Eagles misunderstanding again.

She said: "our third winter in OUR MS". Notice how it says "our"? People would clearly not say "our Mississippi", so that obviously refers to "our Model S".

SMH

"PhillyGal" doesn't live in Mississippi. Reading is comprehension.

Keef is back.

Flagged.

Red Sage ca us | 02. marraskuu 2016

I really don't enjoy cold weather at all. To me, anything under 75 degrees Fahrenheit feels cold. I probably won't need the cold weather package, because I live in a place that rarely experiences weather at all. But I might get it anyway, just in case it is needed in my travels elsewhere.

Mazdarati | 02. marraskuu 2016

There's a new troll in town...

He's new here - but he's been around. Has posted here and on TMC under various aliases until he gets banned. He's Keef Wivaneff, the nut who flooded the NHTSA with fraudulent complaints.

https://electrek.co/2016/06/13/tesla-fale-complaints-suspension-nhtsa-ke...

@Eagles - They are correct. I was referring to our Model S which lives in Philly but often travels up past the Pocono mountains in the winter. It's really damn cold up there and we park it on the street when visiting.