Forums

Parking Lot Damage Catcher

Parking Lot Damage Catcher

Here's an app that I would appreciate on my Model 3: Install shock sensors on the body of the car such that if someone hits the car with a shopping cart or car door, the camera system turns on and records the area around the car for 15 minutes and also sends a text alert to my cell phone. I have two dents in the side of my BMW X3 that appeared mysteriously and I suspect are due to car doors or shopping carts and I would love to have been able to catch the guilty party on camera and have my insurance company pursue theirs for compensation to repair the damages. It seems that the Model 3's camera system would easily be able to handle this task.

liftsrock | 16. marraskuu 2016

This does assume that I would be able to capture video of them and their car and license plate which may or may not happen, but it would be interesting to try.

lilbean | 16. marraskuu 2016

The BlackVue 650s catches that.

dave.m.mcdonough | 16. marraskuu 2016

If you chase down every savage that doesn't care about other people's nice stuff, you'll have a short and stressed life. I saw someone kick open a door right into a car, called them out and they denied it right to my face.

That said, if there was actual damage (especially from parking damage or sideswiped while parked on the street) you bet I'd want to track them down!!

PhillyGal | 16. marraskuu 2016

What's a parking lot? Those really huge patches of paved land where almost every car and cart can be found nearest the door? Ding, ding, ding! (Avoid ding, ding, ding by parking in the literal furthest spot.)

@PhillyGal: I do park away from other cars and don't mind the walk to the door. But sometimes it does not matter how many empty spaces between me and others, someone sometimes pulls in right next to me; crazy! I understand that it probably won't work most of the time, but why not give us the app for it? All the hardware is on the car, just need some software to enable it.

@dave.m.mcd: I would never "call anyone out" face-to-face. Only if I had clear video evidence would I forward it to my insurance agent and let them do the dirty work. I'm not a fighter and it is dangerous these days to confront any stranger. Here's a story you'll love: I came out of Staples and am sitting in my car looking at my e-mail on my phone when a lady pulls in on the passenger side of my car with her drive side so close that she cannot get out of her car! I sit there a few extra seconds pretending not to see her there to see what she will do. She does not move her car but is staring me down as if I'm the idiot. I casually drive away and cannot stop laughing even today. I do not live a stressed life; I enjoy every day to the fullest. But you are correct.

dsvick | 16. marraskuu 2016

@liftsrock - "All the hardware is on the car, just need some software to enable it"

No, not all the hardware is there. They would need to develop and install some sort of sensor to detect the impact/shock. Then, as you said they'd need to develop the software, add it to the app, make the AP cameras storage available to be downloaded by the owner, and probably a few other things I'm not thinking of. All of that costs money that would probably be prohibitive on the Model 3.

That's not even considering all of the privacy laws in various states about dashcams and recording devices. Or, even more important, would be the considerations and safeguards that would need to be implemented in making any part of the AP hardware or software available to anyone.

@dsvick - I know that I did not address all of the issues with my original post(s). Not a huge deal for me; just a potentially cool extra functionality not offered by other mfrs. Shock monitors (accelerometers) are readily available and already in use on cars as well as other types of vehicles to detect vandalism or theft attempts and to switch on the alarm. I'll shut this thread down now myself and leave it at that. I just don't see any of the technical stuff as being beyond Tesla's capabilities. But you may be right about there being too many other legal considerations to make this app practical.

cb500r | 16. marraskuu 2016

I agree and think that the cars already have a fair amount of sensors to detect it.
They have g-force and force sensors for the ESP to detect a curve. So if the car will activate cameras due to a heavier bump, it would already be a benefit. The car could ask after the owner is activating it again, if there is a damage and you want to follow up or to just delete it.
Why not.
Even in Germany, I think this will be allowed. It's not allowed to have a dash cam running 100%, but if you just activate it e.g. because of dangerous driving of someone else, it is allowed. So in case the car detects someone is potentially causing a damage, the car would be able to make legal photos of the situation. Due to the fact where the person is located, it should be easier to define if the damage was caused by this person or not. On the other side, as long as you are not sure that the damage comes from the person on the photo, it could have been there already...

Frank99 | 16. marraskuu 2016

liftsrock -
My story was pulling into a gas station a few years ago behind another car in my huge-*ss '98 Explorer, you know, one of those vehicles you simply can't overlook. Other car stopped, I stopped, he decided to go to a different lane in the gas station and shifted into reverse. I laid on the horn, he backed into me rocking his car and mine, then pulled forward and into a pump. I got out and politely said "Do you have an insurance card? You just backed into my truck" pointing at my fender. His answer, of course, "No I didn't". I got his insurance information eventually, but what an education.

Ya gotta have the photo evidence.

WormtownKris | 16. marraskuu 2016

@lilbean: Hey, my wife drives a 2006 (Saturn) Black Vue! That's what our Model 3 will be replacing! :)

dave.m.mcdonough | 17. marraskuu 2016

It's perfectly legal to record everything if you are in a public space such as the road. There is no expectation of privacy.
Which is exactly why people getting harassed for recording police is entirely BS, but that's for a different type of forum.