Forums

Is there a way to access homelink using Tesla App

Is there a way to access homelink using Tesla App

Tesla has made lot of things automatic. Some very simple examples are : When you walk close by it unlocks the door, when you walk away it locks the door.
Not that I am lazy but I am thinking if there is a way to solve this issue. I seem to have my phone all the time with me. So when I bike or take my kids on the walk , I realize that I need to open the garage door from outside when I reach my home. I dont have the garage opener with me all the time . So i end up entering the house door and then need to open from inside.
I have already setup homelink on my MS and I love it. Is there anyway I can open the garage door through the Tesla App ?

p.c.mcavoy | 23. joulukuu 2016

No. Not that I know of.

Made in CA | 23. joulukuu 2016

I realize this is completely low-tech solution but I use a remote keypad mounted on the garage door frame. The batteries last for 3-4 years.

https://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-LiftMaster-Craftsman-940EV-Garage/dp/...

burdogg | 23. joulukuu 2016

If you have summon set up to open your garage, couldn't you use your phone app to summon the car out, and it will open the garage? It would mean you would have to stop the summon once garage door is open and maybe even summon car back in a little, but another possible work around?

Rowlie | 23. joulukuu 2016

Yes. Open summon and you will see the homelink icon in the upper right corner. You can activate the door with that without actually summoning the car.

There you go - I wouldn't know the specifics of this as Tesla wont develop a Windows phone app :) (so third party's have some work arounds, but summon is not offered through those) Maybe one day, but I won't hold my breath.

SUN 2 DRV | 23. joulukuu 2016

burdogg: Doesn't your Windows phone come with an iOS or Android emulator? :-)

ashbal | 23. joulukuu 2016

Great answer. I will use summon then. Unfortunately, I got the car this week and it is fitted with AP2 but no software yet to work with AP2 (no summon and no AP functionality). I will have to wait for 8.1

EVRider | 23. joulukuu 2016

This has nothing to do with Tesla specifically. There might be third-party apps that provide HomeLink integration; I haven't looked, but you might want to.

Sun 2 DRV - I don't know, I have never looked into this - Is it possible?

Haggy | 23. joulukuu 2016

The app will sometimes give me the icon for Homelink and other times it won't. I have no idea how it decides. The last time I needed it, the app gave it to me, I used the app to put the car in the garage, and when summon ended, the icon wasn't there but I needed to use it.

trixiew | 23. joulukuu 2016

I use the MyQ app from Liftmaster for remote access.

akikiki | 23. joulukuu 2016

ashbal, since you have your phone with you anyway. You might want to go look on Amazon and ebay for a device made for Sears openers called Assure. I think Chamberlain also has something like it. On some openers you can add this device, connect it to wife and use a phone app to open, close and check the status of your door remotely where ever you are. I have Sears and the device. Its a Craftsman app, separate from the Tesla app but works great.

stevenm1419 | 23. joulukuu 2016

+1 Rowlie
works perfectly using the summons icon home link via app

Bill_75D | 23. joulukuu 2016

@ahikiki "connect it to wife" Please explain where exactly is this connection. Pictures would be helpful ;-)

sorry, not wife, (auto-correct). It was supposed to be WIFI. The devise connects the garage door opener to the Internet via WIFI. Thanks Bill_60D for seeing that.

Sorry Bill, no pictures - cause no wife.

Bill_75D | 23. joulukuu 2016

@akikiki LOL

croman | 28. joulukuu 2016

FYI, as AP 2.0 vehicles do not have summon, owners of AP 2 vehicles have no way to access the Homelink controls via the app.

SUN 2 DRV | 28. joulukuu 2016

IMHO Made in CA has the best idea, just install a remote keypad on the outside of your garage. It works by talking directly to your garage door opener and removes many dependencies... the Summon approach doesn't work if the Tesla is away from home, or if you currently have an AP 2.0 car. The LIftmaster and Sears approaches don't work if your internet is down or you don't have your phone handy (or it doesn't have their app installed)

The remote keypad is always available... by any family member who knows the 4 digit code... and it works for up to 3 separate garage doors....Sometimes the simplest solution is the best one...

bp | 29. joulukuu 2016

Homelink has a major limitation - there's no way to determine the state of the garage door.

So the software makes assumptions about the state of the door, and sends commands to open/close the door based on those assumptions.

We have a two car garage, and sometimes my wife and I are returning home at about the same time. If she gets there first, she opens the door and leaves it open for me. Then when I start driving into the garage, Tesla's homelink system sends a command to the door, which starts closing the door - just as I'm entering the garage.

Our garage door opener also has a MyQ controller, allowing us to access the door from the MyQ smartphone app. The MyQ system does know the status of the door - and can detect if the door is open or closed.

Would actually prefer that Tesla add an option to use MyQ instead of Homelink for accessing our garage doors. That would ensure the door is in the right state - and the car's software doesn't send open/close commands when the door is already in the desired position.

JAD | 29. joulukuu 2016

I use the app to open the garage door sometimes after a walk. As stated, go to summons screen and the button is there. You do have to be near the car as summons is not available if you are too far away.

Oh, and the car has to be in the garage. Once it wasn't working for me, then I realized my wife was out driving the car. Doh! :)

mbonness | 02. toukokuu 2019

Came across this thread when I programmed a second Homelink device and I noticed the Homelink icon didn't appear in the Tesla app. It looks like you can only use summon to automatically open one of your garage doors if you have multiple Homelink devices. To select which garage door you want to use with Summon you can do this:

1. Tap the car icon on vehicle touchscreen
2. Select "Autopilot" from the menu on the left
3. Tap the "Customize Summon" button
4. Make sure "Auto Homelink" is set to ON
5. Select which homelink device you want to use