How conflicting info, ambiguity, and an absurd trade in offer made me a non-repeat buyer and soon to be ex-shareholder:
Will AP1.0 manage stop signs and traffic lights as we were led to believe it would in 2014 when buying the cars with AP1.0? Or as Elon stated in early 2016 without clarifying that we'd have to buy new cars less than 2 years in to avail ourselves of the rest of the autopilot features?
I didn't think so.
This ambiguity, combined with the absurdly low trade in offers lately (Simple version for those with short attention spans is that I was offered March 2018 GRV value for my barely 2-year old Model S in November 2016) have pretty much caused me to no longer pursue a 2nd Model S.
To be clear, it's not the additional $30K in acquisition costs that's the most annoying part of this. It's the inconsistent communication and lack of timely and/or clueful follow up at pretty much every turn.
I have exactly zero expectation that AP1.0 will be supported, which is to say improved, in any meaningful way from this point forward. Nor that much of the v8.0 UI/UX horribleness will be fixed. Prove me wrong. I'll wait. But I'll point and laugh in the meantime at unsubstantiated fanboism.
In any case, it now appears that I'll drive what I've got into the ground before I buy another one as a result. And I tried for over a month to buy a 2nd one - but we're easily $10K apart for trade in value and I just don't have the time to screw around with selling it privately. So fine. I'm sure I can find something to do with the $30K I'm not spending as a result.
Why $30K? Think about it:
$10K in CA sales tax and insanely high registration hidden tax plus the bogus mandated doc/dest fee
$10K in trade in offer versus loan balance (gap)
$7500 in aftermarket - (which breaks down approximately as follows: $1200 in paint correction/Opti-Coat w/5-year warranty, $1250 in Photosync tint including windshield and front pano panel, $2000 estimated for Reus system transfer, $750 for powdercoating wheels/loaner wheels/logistics, $1.5K quad dashcams, Bel Pro 500 radar detector and installation)
$5K down payment if through Alliant. $10K if through US Bank.
Add all that up and there you have it - $37.5K less $7500 tax credit = net $30K to replace my current Model S with a new one.
I don't mind spending $120K for another Tesla. I don't mind the $30K in net acquisition costs or even losing the few days of my life that will be lost getting the aftermarket work done again. I can even barely accept losing a full-sized frunk/microwave and the yacht floor to a microfrunk that won’t even hold a set of golf clubs and the clutter center console.
However, I do mind getting absurdly lowballed for a barely 2-year old trade in that is in, dare I say, excellent condition, with a present value offer *that's guaranteed 15 months in the future*. What would be less absurd? Take the GRV and add even $750/mo x 12 months in average depreciation (so $9K to the offer). Anyway, that, folks, combined with the flaky communication, is what you call a deal breaker.
The sun will indeed rise in the morning. However, experiences such as the above do tend to kill the word of mouth. And that’s a shame.
Don't be offended if I don't reply to this thread. I hold many of you in high regard, and some of you in low regard, not that you should be concerned either way.
Am merely moving on.