Forums

What's the average annual income of Tesla owners?

What's the average annual income of Tesla owners?

I have once read that the average annual income of Ironman triathlons participants was $127,000.
I was wondering if any of you ever read an article quoting a poll on the average income of Tesla owners?

Bighorn | 17. tammikuu 2017

What is the average cost of the car driven by Ironman triathletes? Divide that into $102,000 and multiply by $127,000. I'm guessing Subaru Outback, so $462,643.

reed_lewis | 17. tammikuu 2017

The median income would be more interesting than average.

rxlawdude | 17. tammikuu 2017

Silver2K | 17. tammikuu 2017

Jackie Robinson?

rxlawdude | 17. tammikuu 2017

The meaning of life.

SCCRENDO | 17. tammikuu 2017

$35,000 dollars

brando | 17. tammikuu 2017

Suggest google search "how much should I spend on a car" or "what should I pay per month for a car".

You can choose from a few suggestions and run the numbers for your self. Then assuming all car buyers are rational you will have a good idea.

Then you could post with your assumptions and calculations for us all to think about.

Ross1 | 17. tammikuu 2017

@ SCCR: You could try working more and spending less time on the forum.. :)

todd | 19. tammikuu 2017

According to Prenzler’s study, Tesla owners make around $271,000 a year on average. TMC survey (informal) suggested 140-300K.

tedirelan | 19. tammikuu 2017

Oh, to make six figures. Shoot, to make half of six figures would be nice.

J.T. | 19. tammikuu 2017

I'll be happy to tell you as soon as this audit is completed.

Silver2K | 19. tammikuu 2017

I'll let you know as soon as I see your birth certificate

rxlawdude | 19. tammikuu 2017

My dog ate my W2

Bighorn | 19. tammikuu 2017

Nobody cares about my annual income--just the lame stream media.

ram1901 | 19. tammikuu 2017

OPS? What's the point? Didn't you mama ever tell you it's impolite to ask someone how much they make?
Oh wait. that was HR.

SCCRENDO | 19. tammikuu 2017

Do I need to include the money paid to me by Russia and my paid speeches to Goldman Sachs? I will tell you as long as I don't have to release the speech transcripts. Alternatively I will email it. If you don't get it hack me.

brando | 20. tammikuu 2017

What lame country would allow it's leaders to get paid nearly $200 million by banksters for 20 min. lunch speeches, allow political parties to communicate in emails in secret, so lacking in transparency to keep personal financial - even tax records secret, allow companies to spend over a billion dollars just for one election cycle. Allow anyone, including foreign governments to contribute (or is it bribe?) political parties. Consider corporations to have the same rights as individuals. Allow military to operate in the homeland, and lock up anyone with no due process - see wikipedia

National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012, Pub.L. 112–81. This NDAA contains several controversial sections (see article), the chief being §§ 1021-1022, which affirm provisions authorizing the indefinite military detention of civilians, including U.S. citizens, without habeas corpus or due process, contained in the Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF), Pub.L. 107–40.[6]

OK, I'll stop now as none of us can imagine such a place in the 21st century except in Orwell's fictitious 1948 novell 1984.

What lame country would allow it's leaders to get paid nearly $200 million by banksters for 20 min. lunch speeches, allow political parties to communicate in emails in secret, so lacking in transparency to keep personal financial - even tax records secret, allow companies to spend over a billion dollars just for one election cycle. Allow anyone, including foreign governments to contribute (or is it bribe?) political parties. Consider corporations to have the same rights as individuals. Allow military to operate in the homeland, and lock up anyone with no due process - see wikipedia

National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012, Pub.L. 112–81. This NDAA contains several controversial sections (see article), the chief being §§ 1021-1022, which affirm provisions authorizing the indefinite military detention of civilians, including U.S. citizens, without habeas corpus or due process, contained in the Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF), Pub.L. 107–40.[6]

OK, I'll stop now as none of us can imagine such a place in the 21st century except in Orwell's fictitious 1948 novell 1984.

Sorry, not sure how I managed to double post and I thought only others were so lame. JefferyR - simple double click?

Sorry, not sure how I managed to double post and I thought only others were so lame. JefferyR - simple double click?

NO, just a single click - another new feature, I guess

MisterT2 | 21. tammikuu 2017

@JT, @silver +1

Are we asking about new & used? Private Seller used market is pretty reasonable.

Maxxer | 21. tammikuu 2017

Thanks Todd, exactly what I was seraching for:

Who is the average Tesla owner?

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/04/20/results-tesla-owner-survey/
The average Tesla owner makes $271,000 (down from $290,000 in 2013) and is between the ages of 35-50. 88% of owners are male (smaller sample size). For 91% of owners, this is the most expensive car they have ever purchased. That metric is up from 65% in 2013**. After purchasing their Tesla, only 24% of owners would consider purchasing a gas powered car again. 92% of owners would purchase another Tesla in the future.

rxlawdude | 21. tammikuu 2017

@EVolution, that seems a bit odd, that someone with a $250-300K income only being 9% likely to have purchased a $70,000 to $150,000 car in the past.

hcwhy | 21. tammikuu 2017

@rx

Why would someone wear jeans when they can afford a custom made suit?

Maxxer | 21. tammikuu 2017

I can afford custom made suits but I wear sportswear for confort. Usually dryfits because I go to the gym on the bassement when I finished my Day. I'm ready to pay for tech gear but not for custom made stuff since I'm standard shape.

brando | 23. tammikuu 2017

Purchasing value? Perhaps many realized no ICE car worth $70,000 especially after total cost of ownership. Just buy a new $40,000 car every 3 years. Not everyone a car nut.

hcwhy | 23. tammikuu 2017

@ EVolution

Wow....just realized my post would most likely be misinterpreted by most readers. Maybe this is better. Lots of people prefer cars that don't draw attention to them or their economic status. They only made an exception for the Tesla.

rxlawdude | 23. tammikuu 2017

@hcwhy, sounds plausible. I'm on the opposite side of this, with the Tesla being the most expensive car I've ever bought by a factor of 2.5.

@RX No...We're on the same side of this.

I sold by VW Golf when I got the Tesla.

and I wear jeans....not suits.

radami2 | 23. tammikuu 2017

Interesting to look at the distribution shape of the buyer income distribution of the cleantechnica article posted by @EVolution. It has a Poisson shape so the median is lower than the mean. The high end tail goes into the multi-millions. The largest number of buyers is in the 100-150k range. If Bill Gates and Warren Buffet walk into a neighborhood bar the average income of the occupants goes up by billions.

rxlawdude | 23. tammikuu 2017

@radami, median and mean are confusing to some. But you're right on.

bigd | 23. tammikuu 2017

This is always an interesting conversation. You do have to remember that the Avg income is $182,000. However, if you take out the outlier (bighorn) it goes down to $132,000.

bigd | 23. tammikuu 2017

PS. don't ask for facts as this is made up bighorn :-)