Forums

Almost all Americans want climate change action

Almost all Americans want climate change action

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/maps-show-where-americans-car...

If this is true why are fossil fuel companies advisors in charge?

Mike83 | 08. huhtikuu 2017

Thanks David. It seems evolution does sometimes revert backwards especially with environmental poisions. I kind of wonder what the population limiting factor will be now with such old failed policies attempting to rule, climate disruption, wars, new viruses, migration, costs, etc.
Just enjoy one day at a time doing the best one can. I also wonder who will be the next person they put on the pedestal after the old one is gone. Thinking for oneself seems to be a vanishing art.

Remnant | 09. huhtikuu 2017

@Tesla-David (April 8, 2017)

<< U.S. under Drumpf is going backwards. >>

If forwards is the globalistic, ultra-liberal way of the Clinton Crime Family, backwards is the only sane way to go.

Whoever said liberalism is a mental disorder, was 100% right.

Mike83 | 09. huhtikuu 2017

Putting labels on people doesn't have anything to do the OP. Most labeling exists to divide and conquer but it seems that old lesson needs to be relearned by some. I also think nepotism is very regressive for any kind of progress.

MitchP85D | 09. huhtikuu 2017

I'm sure Mike83 was all agitated over JFK appointing RFK as his AG. Oh, and I'm sure he was even more agitated over Bill Clinton appointing Hillary to be in charge of his government health care plan!

Actually I believe nepotism is bad no matter whose label you want to use. It is worse when other peoples money is involved.

Remnant | 09. huhtikuu 2017

@Mike83 (April 9, 2017)

<< Putting labels on people doesn't have anything to do the OP. >>

Nothing binds my message to the OP beside my own decision to apply such a constraint to it. You better notice that, as a rule, each of my messages refers to that part of the target post that I choose to focus on and that I surround with double angle-brackets. Out of sheer respect for the debate and my right to express my opinion, you should abide by my choice of focus and, if you are interested, respond to my arguments.

Your attempt to demonize me for distancing my message from the OP, especially one as ill-worded, elliptical, and unfounded as the one that started this thread off must be debunked as unfair and ignorant of the fundamentals of open forum debates. If you are honest, you should not try to dispense approvals to the forum posters, IMO.

But talking about labeling, what is your dimwitted Drumpf pun but a failed attempt to disrespect Trump and his supporters with a clownish nickname? And to what aim? To promote the bankrupt economic policy of California which is losing companies and jobs to Texas and protecting criminals in unwarranted, unwise, and illegal sanctuaries?

Unbelievable self-injurious narrow-mindedness! California is adrift and headed for the rocks and so are you.

Not only are you obtuse but you incorrectly mix up what I state with someone else. Why are you so defensive?

Back to the topic after the rude interruption. Americans want action not talk.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/190010/concern-global-warming-eight-year-high...

MitchP85D | 09. huhtikuu 2017

If they want action on global warming, how did Trump get elected? I'll tell you why. Global warming was the least of concerns compared to other issues.

Remnant | 10. huhtikuu 2017

@Mike83 (April 9, 2017)

<< Not only are you obtuse but you incorrectly mix up what I state with someone else. >>

No issue.

You and Drumpf's author are of the same litter, come from the same liberal puke, spew the same hate.

Mike83 | 10. huhtikuu 2017

There in lies your problems. Generalizations and rude arrogant behavior stem from your fears, ie your inner demons. You have much to learn boy.

Tell me why did he get elected?

MitchP85D | 10. huhtikuu 2017

He got elected because Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania voted republican for the first time in about 3 decades. Trump was the only candidate who addressed disappearing manufacturing jobs. Thus, the switch of the aforementioned states. Global warming was the least of their concerns!

How is that working out for them?

Government is going to get them jobs? That is a laugh.

RedShift | 10. huhtikuu 2017

No one is bringing those jobs back. Not Trump nor Hillary, no one. Those are gone for good. What these folks were asking for and are asking for, is a BAILOUT. I'm not mincing my words here.

That AGW would be farthest from their minds is not surprising. Look at their capacity for critical thinking.

MitchP85D | 10. huhtikuu 2017

Mr. Redshift sir, only a limousine liberal thinks manufacturing jobs are gone forever. Give a friendly business environment back to America (as opposed to the hostile one Obama gave us), Big Biz will set up shop in America.

radami2 | 10. huhtikuu 2017

@mitch Oh really, all those manufacturing jobs fleeing to Mexico, Guatemala, China... left because of Obama's hostile climate? Man, your free market can tell we are going to elect a black Democrat way into the future. Or maybe it's just the hotair your bias squeezes out.

radami2 | 10. huhtikuu 2017

Most of those jobs left under Reagan, Bush1 and Bush2

One explanation in one word. Alzheimer's.

@mitch

"Mr. Redshift sir, only a limousine liberal thinks manufacturing jobs are gone forever."

It's very tiresome discussing ANYTHING with you. Everything comes down to 'liberals vs conservatives', and liberals are unpatriotic, and only conservatives have hair on their chest.

Coal jobs? Gone. Well paying manufacturing jobs (as opposed to barely minimum wage ones) almost gone. Steel? China is dumping, and there is little Trump can do. Please note that I said neither Trump, not Hillary could do anything.

This is about skill set. The vast majority of Trump supporters from the mid part of the country don't have the higher level skill sets necessary to thrive (not jus survive) in the changing economy.

Just hanging your hat on a pie in the sky promise isn't going to change things on the ground.

Coal is being replaced ny natural gas, mainly, and renewables.
Well paying manufacturing jobs have fled long ago to China, and other places with very cheap labor.

Unless there is a massive government BAILOUT, these things will not change. Creating Carrier jobs at the expense of tax payers, or thundering about Mexico paying for the wall will not change one damn thing.

This is not a limousine liberal talking, but a centrist person who has plenty of bad things to say about democrats too, and how they lost the plot last election.

We just watched an old movie that featured farm workers and staring Charles Bronson, Mr. Majestic. Quite a different country we are becoming.

Also, learn to give credit where it's due - after the enormous financial meltdown when Obama came in, we turned things around to now, even though you hate to admit a liberal can do the right thing. May be then, we can start being hopeful along with you.(coz, let's face it, first 100 days have produced nothing but failures, we can only hope things get better from here)

Just one note, limbs all bad, conservatives all good - ain't gonna get you any discussion, only derision.

Also, learn to give credit where it's due - after the enormous financial meltdown when Obama came in, we turned things around to now, even though you hate to admit a liberal can do the right thing. May be then, we can start being hopeful along with you.(coz, let's face it, first 100 days have produced nothing but failures, we can only hope things get better from here)

Just one note, liberals all bad, conservatives all good - ain't gonna get you any discussion, only derision.

Sorry, tried to correct typos and made a double post.

SCCRENDO | 10. huhtikuu 2017

Mitch. Once again you need to educate yourself. And this is not even science we are talking about. These old style manufacturing jobs are gone and never coming back. We need to reinvent 21st century jobs. I recommend you read Milton Friedman's latest book "thank you for being late". He will explain it to you.

Mike83 | 11. huhtikuu 2017

The fake news now mainstream it seems wishes to ignore Climate Disruption. Here we have a answer to the same old myths parroted by Climate Deniers. No matter what, Americans are not blind to science and facts. They did not vote for ignoring the very serious problem of Global Warming.

https://signalscv.com/2017/04/11/professor-letter-writer-misleads-reader...

MitchP85D | 11. huhtikuu 2017

Personally, manufacturing jobs are not a priority of my libertarian instincts. They obviously are not a priority to you liberals in this forum. However, manufacturing jobs ARE a priority to the Rust Belt folks. And they want to have their jobs back, including coal mining jobs. I know that bugs the hell out of your liberals. But that is a political/economic reality the democrats overlooked, and they paid a harsh electoral price for it!

MitchP85D | 11. huhtikuu 2017

Make that, "I know that bugs the hell out of YOU liberals."

Mike83 | 11. huhtikuu 2017
RedShift | 11. huhtikuu 2017

@mitch

"I know that bugs the hell out of your liberals."

IOW, you don't know how the jobs might come back. So you offer an insinuation as a response instead!

Remnant | 12. huhtikuu 2017

@Mike83 (April 11, 2017)

<< ... Americans are not blind to science and facts. ... >>

Susan Rice is now the poster child for the delusional imbeciles called liberals in the American political vernacular, almost catching up with the Liar-In-Chief, HRC/Shameless Clinging Loser.

It's high time to recall the proverb, "there's none so blind as those who will not see". Liberals are still trying to recover from the stroke of their spectacular loss of the 2016 elections by lying again, ever more blatantly than last time. At DNC, the insane are notoriously in charge of the lunatic asylum, chanting "Never Trump", even as Trump celebrates the most successful "First 100 Days" of any American administration.

And now the fools are proclaiming the end of free trade, of American manufacturing, and of anything and everything they keep hating with no grounds in reality.

The sooner they take their well deserved trash-bin sanctuary, the better for this nation and for the world.

Mike83 | 12. huhtikuu 2017

When politics change the climate change deniers funded by the fossil fuel interests will be held accountable no matter how much fake news(known as propaganda) they spew out. The scapegoating will be exposed and those responsible will be uncovered. Pretty dim witted if you ask me.

Is the US becoming another Russia? By putting ideology over facts like not allowing the words Climate Change they are promoting special interests over American security.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/republican-climate-change-denie...

massimob30 | 12. huhtikuu 2017

Mike83,

The fake news is being propped up by inaccurate predictions from the Alarmists. Why should anyone believe them when they have been consistently wrong ? Do you know who proved Al Gore wrong ? Al Gore. Yes, the moron with his fake cult-like predictions have come up woefully short. He is now making another Inconvenient sequel since his doomsday prediction has come and gone. He reminds me of the mindless people who preach about repenting, as the coming of Jesus approaches.

RedShift | 12. huhtikuu 2017

@massimob

We keep going around in circles, don't we. Some predictions have come true, others have not, it's very complex, we still cannot afford to take a risk, blah blah bla, then you coming back and saying 'it's all fake news, no predictions have come true', and drag your favourite whipping boy, Al Gore as exhibit A.

No real progress here.

Remnant | 12. huhtikuu 2017

@RedShift (April 12, 2017)

<< ... blah blah blah ... >>

An expressive and accurate rendition of AGW ... !

You're good, man. Congrats.

The Climate deniers illustrate the pundits who swallow fake news driven by ideology. It is interesting to see what demons drive their hate. History repetition, ie. scapegoating, blame, shame, etc.

Back to the OP. Yes. Americans can see the phony news and it ain't science.

SCCRENDO | 12. huhtikuu 2017

@Mitch. I wish manufacturing jobs would come back but we need to be realistic. To create useless jobs such as Mexican wall building and infrastructure to support it and to bring back coal mining and other polluting jobs is not a good idea. We need to recognize the new economy and take steps to create the new age jobs.
Trumps plan to impact globalization may be inherently harmful to our economy,
http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/12/news/economy/world-trade-wto-recovery/in...

At least Trumps golf game is improving.

Uncle Paul | 12. huhtikuu 2017

If everyone believing in global warming would just commit themselves to doing everything possible to reduce their own effects, the solution might just be in our own hands. The government so often fails at social engineering, so it must be up to ourselves to make the necessary differences.

Stop buying and driving vehicles of any sort. Only use the least polluting mass transportation systems, or walking/biking everywhere.
Travel very little. Stay within your own bubble.
Do not heat or cool your homes and workplaces any more than necessary for health. Bundle up, or use a personal, non powered fan to stay cool.
Do not use electronic devices such as computers, fans, air conditioners, cell phones, ipads etc. They all contribute to global warming. Do not buy or use TVs.
Do not google anything. It is a massive consumer of electrical power. More than almost anything else.
Do not fly anywhere.
Stay off the phones.
Avoid living in coastal areas which will surly be devistated by oceans rising. Move to the inland areas of the US before that happens.
Live in as small a domicile as possible. Never individual homes, but only in collective dwelling units. Much more energy efficient.
Ban gas stations from any city that does not have clean air.
Reduce the size of government by 90% to save all that energy. No more government vehicles or travel allowed.
Go back to letter writing. Less energy usage that computer communications.
Ban all street lighting, advertising electric signs.
No more space travel. Tremendous use of pollution and energy just to lift small weights into outer space. Same with satellites.
Eliminate global armies. Personal protection will be up to each individual (or family).
Put a ban on all purchases of new electronic or transportation purchases. Make due with all we currently have.
Eliminate the cooking of foods. Just eat healthy raw, earth grown plants and vegetables
No more frozen foods.
No more canned or bottled drinks. Only fresh, clean water.

We could make a tremendous difference by just doing these easy and simple things. The world would become a cleaner and better place. No government or political intervention necessary, just all the believers doing what we know is the right things to do.

@phawker

reductio ad absurdum.

No one suggested we go back to state be age, but conservatives who don't have a credible argument resort to what you did above. Predictably dumb.

*stone age

Uncle Paul | 12. huhtikuu 2017

Seriously. People complain about all the big corporations causing so much pollution. All we need to do is stop buying stuff from then, and the environment would become incrementially better for everyone.

Or, we could invent ways to make the product cleaner. You know, solutions exist for those who are willing to think and work hard at solving problems.

Or you could continue with the absurd arguments.

Your choice.

SamO | 12. huhtikuu 2017

Elon figured it out. No sacrifices needed.

Cheap solar roofs.

Cheap backup batterie.

Software to control both.

And an electric Supercar to show ICE what it wishes it truly were.

Sacrifices are for martyrs.

MitchP85D | 12. huhtikuu 2017

Redshift, you do see phawker1's point though do you not? I can tell that you do because of the level of annoyance you exhibit from his point!

Think about this Redshift. Our standard of living; our increasing life spans. What brought this about? I don't believe it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that our use of fossil fuel energy - cheap energy brought this all about. I am quite certain that future generations will view the fossil fuel age as a significant step up from the wood-burning age. On the geological time scale, this fossil fuel age we are currently living in will be a mere infinitesimal blip!

Our earth has gone through this CO2 experiment many times in the past, with concentrations that far exceed what we are experiencing now. The reason why Al Gore is such an easy target by climate realists like myself is because Gore is basically the Rev. Jim Jones of the vast global warming cult. Gore has profited grotesquely from the hysteria he has generated, and he has turned it into a world-wide government-corporate gravy-train scam. Gore has convinced just about the entire democrat party to drink his Kool-Aid. And those who drank it are all in now.

I never drank the Kool-Aid because as a weatherman, I know weather and climate occurs in cycles. And what is happening now is no different than what happened in the early to mid 20th century.

Mitch

Did you see my response and did you get my point.

Stop with the ' you are annoyed' (I'm not)
Stop with the tired old stuff (Al Gore repetitions - heard it a million times)

May be we can have a discussion then.

SamO | 12. huhtikuu 2017

Doubtful. If Mitch can't figure it out after 60 years, there's little chance now.

Old dogs and new tricks?

I hold out hope. A bad habit.

Pages